Town of Payson (AZ) police has disappeared from their VHF radio channels

Status
Not open for further replies.

apco25

Batlabs OG
Amundsen-Scott South Pole Station, Antarctica
So much speculative commentary until someone actually makes fact based statements.

All I said it was unusual or unlikely. C&M isn't Motorola with the depth of pockets - there is a difference there in size and capability and even longevity.

Firstnet is providing LTE data and voice. They were decidedly rebuked by MANY states at being another nextel trying to provide voice to replace LMR networks. They've stayed in their lane since.

Regardless there's no interoperability issues. At this point in the LMR game there really isn't anything that's solely proprietary or unique anymore as LMR subscriber equipment offers multiple bands and multiple modes. As already stated Kenwood offers radios capable of P25 Conv, P25 Phase, Phase 2, DMR and NXDN. Good choice actually, unfortunately encrypted but that's where the entire LMR world is headed, 24/7 digital encrypted that's to the scanner feed folks enabling all the ****birds to listen in easily.

cfsimmont

Premium Subscriber
I have the R & M system loaded into the scanner and watching to see if anything comes up. TG 191 and 278 seem to be active but no audio, encrypted also I am assuming. :-(

cellphone

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
I have the R & M system loaded into the scanner and watching to see if anything comes up. TG 191 and 278 seem to be active but no audio, encrypted also I am assuming. :-(
I have monitored the sites around Phoenix the last few days. I have logged dozens of talkgroups in the Phoenix area, and almost everything is encrypted on the R&M system.

cfsimmont

Premium Subscriber
I have monitored the sites around Phoenix the last few days. I have logged dozens of talkgroups in the Phoenix area, and almost everything is encrypted on the R&M system.

Much like the Pinal County system, Casa Grade FD isn't encrypted but have only been able to hear them when near Casa Grande.

K7MFC

WRAA720
Expect more and more encryption. Nothing more than a check box during programming these days.

If only adding encryption what just checking a box as you indicate. I could only wish it was that easy.

What makes implementing encryption not "just checking a box"? Is it a feature that must be licensed for a fee from the vendor?

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
What makes implementing encryption not "just checking a box"? Is it a feature that must be licensed for a fee from the vendor?
It can be ordered from the vendor if requested. ADP was included in many motorola radios for years before it became now an option.
Yup it certainly is if its ADP, its as simple as checking the Secure Equipped box and selecting the Advanced Digital Privacy bubble, and inputting the key and key ID in under a minute. Even if it was hardware encryption, its equally as easy with just another few steps. Getting a new encryption key can be as easy as pressing a button on the radio and the system does the rest

Ravenfalls

Premium Subscriber
This is a DMR radio with AES. This is the same process as using basic ADB Encryption that comes with Motorola these days. As you can see it is very easy paste key in & tell that channel which key or keys to use. Then create a radio read/write password to keep software encryption secure.

Kenwood comes with DES. Most likely what Payson is using. To key couple dozen radio goes quickly. They have OTAP for codeplug changes.

It obviously works because Payson has not returned to VHF! 👍

Payson is not on a DHS grant,,, so they can use the included DES Encryption.

20210829_205525.jpg

20210829_204957.jpg

apco25

Batlabs OG
Amundsen-Scott South Pole Station, Antarctica
Encryption is nothing like it was decades ago with encryption over analog. Even "hardware" encryption isn't what is used to be. No add on boards now for public safety products. Radiso natively have the processing to handle the the encryption on board, no extra chip needed. Pay a few dollars for the feature and it's there ready for use. Of course there's some system setup, but again this is nothing like it was before. Even OTAR and KMF is nearly turn key anymore

maus92

Premium Subscriber
The difficult issue with encryption is more about managing large deployments and maintaining interoperability among disparate users. But in this particular case, the agency is using a private SMR company to provide communication services, and no other public safety entity is using that system - or probably wants to. Thus it is easy to manage encryption in this scenario. Perhaps the town's subscribers will also be programmed with P25 tgs that are designed as interoperability gateways in the future, as long as their radios have the ability to operate in the respective bands. Managing encryption in large metro areas with multiple jurisdictions is hard, even if everyone is already P25.

KE5ZBG

NMSAR
Feed Provider
R&M has a new licenses for an 800 expansion in Pima county.

Ravenfalls

Premium Subscriber
Gila County Sheriff

has applied for a grant & plans to follow Payson City to same system. The system has all the sites Gila SO has now + it provides nearly statewide coverage of all metro area's & vacation area's.

MtnBiker2005

Premium Subscriber
Status
Not open for further replies.