Transmissions on 154.485

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
I am hearing what sounds like data. I am in Caldwell and it comes in quite strong. I never hear any voice.

I tried to attach the audio file but I cannot shrink it to 195k or less.

I am hearing what sounds like data. I am in Caldwell and it comes in quite strong. I never hear any voice.

I tried to attach the audio file but I cannot shrink it to 195k or less.
Lakeland Bus Lines is running MotoTRBO at 90 W ERP on 154.4825 (154.485 is not a valid center frequency on VHF high band - most scanners will display 154.485 for this frequency) from Mt. Freedom in Morris County. Your data is probably some voice with embedded status and GPS fleet tracking. Look up KLI339 in ULS. ULS License - Industrial/Business Pool, Conventional License - KLI339 - LAKELAND BUS LINES INC - Frequencies Summary

SCPD

QRT
We'll that would explain why it wasn't showing in the FCC database. I had the frequency wrong. Why are they on the public safety band, and not on business band?

90.20 and 90.35 frequencies are interleaved in a number of places. There are even some frequencies that are shared between both services. Some places have run out of public safety frequencies and use IG (business/industrial) for public safety use, but those are not protected the same ways public safety coordinators attempt to for the PW channels they oversee. Some public safety agenices also use Part 22 (the old IMTS and paging) frequencies or frequencies carved out of Part 80 public coast (from MariTEL and Motorola). And some work with federal partners to use NTIA (federal) resources. You just never know where something will pop up - especially on VHF high band. Look for "very narrowband" (MotoTRBO and NXDN) technology to be more and more prevalent, especially in areas where there are many adjacent channel neighbors. MotoTRBO is a 2 slot TDMA technology that is a 6.25 kHz equivalent, so it more than meets the narrowbanding mandate.

robbinsj2

Are the part 90 rules you mention new?
Not that I'm aware of, I think the pools have been interleaved since back before it was simply IG versus PW. Look at the pre-MURS "dot" channels of 154.57 & 154.6 -- I'm not sure whether they're covered by 90.35 or another section but they're obviously not from a government / public safety service.

Status
Not open for further replies.