Trenton PD

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobs

Premium Subscriber
It appears that Trenton PD has gone "dark". Yesterday afternoon the Police dipatcher announced that the Dispatch and the Warrants and Data
channels have changed back to their original TGID. After a roll call of all radios to insure that the change was made the PD has not been heard.
A short while ago a firefighter requested to have police respond to a disturbance and nothing heard. Another one bites the dust......

phillydjdan

Nothing heard, meaning they enabled encryption? Or nothing heard, meaning no trunking activity at all from those talkgroups?

nj_ace

Premium Subscriber
Nothing heard on police talk groups. Fire talk groups still active.

rvrat1

Premium Subscriber
I'm showing Encrypted on my TRX1. Fire is in the clear this AM. Too much 'Breaking News' reporting on Facebook probably. Cant blame them going dark.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I just heard them in the clear on talk group 2 which is what they had moved to for dispatch.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I'm going to monitor the system now. Fire department 7 a.m. roll call was in the clear. I'll let anybody know if I hear anything.

Thanks Bobs for the thread and thanks Dan for your text telling me about the thread. I'm listening now and they are indeed encrypted.

Well Dan, they said they would do it if what you spoke of was to happen and it did.

They did keep their word, what did we think would happen, very disappointing.

Last edited:

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Yes Bob, I saw your post. I haven't been on RR that much lately or I would have seen it Thursday. Dan texted me to tip me off early this morning. So I started monitoring all talk groups right away. I guess it doesn't really matter anymore what talkgroup is on what.

There was always an understanding they would throw the switch if a certain thing was to happen and recently that thing happened.

I'm retired as a newspaper reporter in Trenton, if I was still working this would really hurt.

In 2015 Dan did a lot of work on that nxdn system, getting the trunking down and I did a lot of monitoring to pin down the talk groups. We used laptops mounted in our cars using DSD.

Cops didn't have any problem with it but it was made clear they would throw the switch if one thing was to happen and that happened recently.

I appreciate that they stayed in the clear for as long as they did for the benefit of serious hobbyist, First Responders and media types who bought the sophisticated expensive equipment to listen with good intentions.

Very disappointing but as I'm sure you know it's happening all over the country.

Thanks again for posting and keeping an eye on the Trenton system Bob. Wasn't listening to it that much anymore but did listen when something would cross over from PA into Trenton. I'm right across the bridge.

Be safe out there everybody... Bob.

phillydjdan

It took some time, but true to their word, they shut us out. Really sad, the state of monitoring these days. Pretty soon we'll be salivating at the prospect of hearing the local Wal-Mart channel, as that will be the only thing left not streamed for the World to hear. And then even THEY would likely move to cheap Chinese radios with voice inversion or something lol.

APX7500X2

Cops didn't have any problem with it but it was made clear they would throw the switch if one thing was to happen and that happened recently.
I guess they would do anything for scanning, but they wont do that.............I could tell you the funny reference there...but I am not allowed to say it on this website

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I guess they would do anything for scanning, but they wont do that.............I could tell you the funny reference there...but I am not allowed to say it on this website
You have quoted me and I'm not exactly sure what you're saying but I do know from reading your post in the Connecticut thread that you're a pro encryption person on a forum that's full of scanner enthusiast:rolleyes:.

W2DUG

NXDN decryption is supported on an Icom IC-R30...is there a systematic way to determine the encryption key besides trying 1, then 2, ... etc.? Are these keys typically changed frequently, or do they tend to stick with one?

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Yeah, uh, no... that is not something you are going to get any help on radio reference with. It's not for discussion here. I'm not even going to quote your post.

Even if you ever figured it out which you wouldn't the R30 does not trunk track... You would not know what you're listening to and you'd be listening to street sweepers, Public Works, the dog catcher Etc.

This is a public forum for anyone to look at and read. I know you're new but it's something you might want to keep in mind.

Welcome to RR... Bob.;)

P.S.- you double posted the same exact question on another Thread about Trenton and you want to avoid doing that because one person will respond to one thread and another person will respond to the other thread and you will have two different discussions on the same topic and then the mods have to combine the two. Just for s***s and giggles you might want to familiarize yourself with the guidelines for use of the forum, it will keep the mods off your tail LOL.

Last edited:

phillydjdan

What shocks me is that he had to pass a test to get that ham license and still thought this would be acceptable smh...

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
What shocks me is that he had to pass a test to get that ham license and still thought this would be acceptable smh...
I was trying to be diplomatic with the guy but it is odd that he would identify himself with this call sign and then proceeded to attempt a federal crime on an open forum that Trenton pays attention to obviously because that's the reason they went encrypted in the first place. They paid attention to what was started to be done on RR.

Last edited:

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Can't fix it, Bob *shrugs*
I'm just glad I'm fully retired from working in Trenton because I would be really pissed. We managed 5 years in the clear and then it was ruined on something we knew was going to happen if something else was to start happening.

Cutting off our nose despite our face.

Status
Not open for further replies.