• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Trisquare 900mhz Radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

KD8DVR

Sorry Skip Sanders, The call is W9NES not W8NES and these radios are "Encripted" I have used them for a long time and if you do not believe they try to put a portable Frequency counter in front of one and key it.It will not show a transmit frequency.These radios cannot be monitored.These radios have been tested and they are not able to be monitored.If you do not believe what I am saying please feel free to call the manufacturer of these radios direct and ask them.Thank You

These radios are not encrypted by any means! If you use an Opto. near field receiver, you can easily hear the full transmission. They can track the frequency hops quickly enough.

See this thread:

TriSquare TSX300 Review - Page 5 - Two Way Radio Forum

This should enlighten you... read and be enlightened!
They use standard narrowband FM... The manufacturer admits this. FHSS does not imply full digital.

Granted, these radios are private for most cases.. as far as us civilians are concened.

KD8DVR

I'd be a bit cautious about calling the Tri-Square units 'secure'.

While they would be difficult/expensive to monitor at any real distance (you'd need a bunch of receivers, or a custom designed simultanious multichannel reciever), a near-field monitor will receive them just fine. They transmit normal analog FM voice, simply 'hopped' between a large number of channels for a quarter second on each frequency.

A near-field monitor will simply recieve any channel transmitted equally, and so will recover the audio just fine. Of course, this is only good for fairly short distances, but still... you aren't truely secure.

100% correct! 73 John

pickles37

I have both the Trisquares and DTRs, and after reading this got some ($20) I355's to try too. I prefer the feel and interface of the DTRs but at $20 the I355 is hard to beat. My only complaint is that (unlike the DTRs) there seems to be no way to reduce the volume of the Direct Talk ready beep, which seems inordinately loud compared to the voice volume. Does anyone know of a sneaky way to set this? Thanks!

W9NES

If the Trisquare 900 mhz radios are not quote"Secure" then why when I put a portable frequency counter in front of the radio and I key the radio there is no frequency showing up on the counter and if there is no frequency showing up on the counter then that tells me that it cannot be monitored by anyone out there in "scanner land".I have also put a handheld scanner on the frequencies you have posted by another poster on this topic at hand and again when I have keyed the radio on all the frequencies listed there was nothing heard and that was with a Uniden 396T handheld scanner....

Chris-KH2PM

Premium Subscriber
If the Trisquare 900 mhz radios are not quote"Secure" then why when I put a portable frequency counter in front of the radio and I key the radio there is no frequency showing up on the counter and if there is no frequency showing up on the counter then that tells me that it cannot be monitored by anyone out there in "scanner land".I have also put a handheld scanner on the frequencies you have posted by another poster on this topic at hand and again when I have keyed the radio on all the frequencies listed there was nothing heard and that was with a Uniden 396T handheld scanner....

Everyone should study up a bit. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frequency-hopping_spread_spectrum

Spread spectrum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Analog FHSS is very resistant to eavesdropping with a contemporary scanner/receiver..basically impossible. There are some commercial grade test receivers that can be set up to capture the FHSS signal with some work.

Considering the fact that someone would have to go through a lot of trouble to listen to your FHSS comms, these TriSquares are pretty secure for personal use.

Last edited:

RayAir

Frequency-hopping spread spectrum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Analog FHSS is very resistant to eavesdropping with a contemporary scanner/receiver..basically impossible. There are some commercial grade test receivers that can be set up to capture the FHSS signal with some work.

Considering the fact that someone would have to go through a lot of trouble to listen to your FHSS comms, these TriSquares are pretty secure for personal use.

Umm, actually it isn't any trouble at all to eavesdrop on a TriSquare eXRS signal. You just have to be somewhat close. The analog FHSS used in the TriSquare isn't for COMSEC. And it barely qualifies as frequency hopping with a sluggish 400mS hop rate.

We're not bashing your radio, just simply trying to correct your statements.

Proof:
voice_encryption_and_scrambling : Voice Encryption and Scrambling Group
Go to files, then go down to TriSquare. Also look at Nextel Direct Talk and Motorola DTR.
Listen and be enlightened.

Correction: This post was supposed to be directed to W9NES.**

Last edited:

RayAir

Frequency-hopping spread spectrum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There's some consumer grade gear that can do it to. That's what we're trying to tell you.

Experiments in spread spectrum interception:
http://www.docdroppers.org/wiki/index.php?title=TICOM_1

Last edited:

dksac2

I'm very pleased with my Trisquares. For the low price and many features offered, when used within their design perameters, they are great radios. Where else can you get a line of sight radio with so many features, almost 100% unreadable by anyone else, no interfearence for $74.00, 2 radios, batteries, charger and cheap ear buds. These radios flat work. I'm pretty sure I can get a little more range from my Midland GMRS, but not much. All radios are stock and were used with fully charged batteries.

They do have 700 channels, the 10 numbers you put into the radio determine what the 700 channels will be.

Yes they can be copied by near field equipment, but 99.9% of the time, they are secure unless someone really wants to hear your conversation and follows you around.

In the sloping valley I live in, scattered homes, we have transmitted over 5 miles with GMRS radios, with the Trisquare, the most I have got distance wise was 3.5 miles, that was with my friend standing on his front porch and me in my vehicle driving and holding the radio somewhat out of the window. I finally made a turn and got behind a bunch of larger buildings and lost sync. He was at a slightly higher elevation than I was. I drove about 3/4 of a mile down his road to a highwy, 3.5 miles down the highway, turned and within 300 yds got behind the buildings where I lost sync.
Placing yourself in the right places, these radios can have a decent amount of usable distance.
Urban settings, I have not tried them, so I really cannot comment. We were on the valley floor, not on the mountains around us.

I need to try more tests, so much depends on the height between radios as well as houses, trees, buildings etc, but I more than pleased with them in a rural setting.

I doubt a commercial handheld would get much more range in my area.

One has to remember that they have 1 watt, limited antenna and I'm sure not as much sensitivity as the higher priced radios. Before putting them down too much, try a set of commercial hand helds right next to them, I think you'll see it takes a lot more money for just a little more distance.

They may be more in the toy catagory, but they work. If you really need more disance, go to 2 meters and hit a repeater. Being retired, very limited income, they have allowed me to have a short range, secure radio. It free's up some $$$ for other projects. I would not have spent the money to get commercial radios in the 900 MHZ band otherwise and am tired of the rude, unlicensed people on GMRS.

My Best, John

Last edited:

mformby

have a single DTR radio. got it for $5.00. waiting for another deal like this to come along. anyone have a DTR they want to get rid of cheap?

i would love to try out DTR's. i am 1/2 way there. i thought the TriSqures were cheap garbage just like FRS stuff. Seeing those internal pic's confirms my assumption.

i think the sma trick with a 1/2 wave 900 mhz dipole rubber duck antenna on some DTR radios and you will have something.

why they did not do this to begin with i don't know. 900 mhz FHSS allows up to 1 Watt and 6db antenna gain under part 15.

motorola should have offered removable antenna's for their DTR series. give the customer a choice of a stubby 1/4 wave or 3 db dipole.

other than that i like the look and feel of the DTR i have. when i get another one i will be able to chime in on the actual operation of one.

ps: you probably already know this, but you voided your part 15 certification and your warranty with that mod.

The second generation Motorola DTR radios used a removable 1/4 wave antenna, the same one that they used on their 900 MHz portables with SMA connectors.

mformby

So with a 900MHZ antenna would one be able to cover say 50,000 to 500,000 Sq. Feet out doors? or maybe 20 square acres unobstructed and level terrain?

I believe these really just use the older 900MHz cordless phone frequencies and DSS (Digital Spread Spectrum) Basically its the same concept as SINCARS or HAVEQUICK just minus the technical stuff.

I used to be a Motorola Dealer/Agent and sold the DTR's. I tested them in a 300k sq. ft. warehouse (with products stacked on shelves) and I could not find a dead spot. The very small wave length of 900 MHz gives it a excellent bounce effect. The benefits of multiple talk groups, SMS texting and no FCC license required makes them a very desirable product.

East_Algoma

Freq Counter

I was wondering this too...recently I bought a an analogue and Digital Freq Counter...Now I have 2 Counters one is 100% Analogue , and the other as I said , is both Digital and Analogue .

I put my friends TriSquare radio near my DIGITAL Freq Counter...whola , it shows all the freqs , and stored them as well..The Freq Counter |I got off of Ebay from China for 14 buxx....

FSSH is hardly Crypto , yes the Military used it as far as 18 yrs ago...but left it because it CAN be heard.

I set up my 389 and 996 to a few freqs of the Digital counter , and I heard his traffic...much to his disappointment... If you want Cryrpto..get a PRO handheld - and a keyloader , and use DES/XL older DVP works well...or use what the Govt use to use ' Facinator ' ( not sure if that one is still in use )

I use simple inversion...:)

If y

JASII

Memory Capacity
.....I picked up some i355 from ebay can't wait to try them out.....

I look forward to reading your report on the i355. I am considering an i365 and/or a Motorola Titanium. I figure if I get a Titanium I can use the Android for GPS and add maps, like TomTom For Android, and have BOTH a walkie talkie AND a GPS all in one!

sparks40

Premium Subscriber
What type of range do these have? I've been looking at them for a while as a cheap alternative for the County CERT team for community events (parades, park patrols ect)

For a CERT team, you can find a better deal on FRS radios. Less buttons to push, and therefore less that someone not very familiar with radio use can screw up. For our CERT team here, I set the radios to a frequency and a DCS, then lock the keypad so channels don't get changed accidentally. We use the Motorola MH230 Talkabouts.

KD8DVR

Well, TriSquare went out of business a year or so ago.. the supply of radios has mostly dried up. too bad... good concept.

tj20

I look forward to reading your report on the i355. I am considering an i365 and/or a Motorola Titanium. I figure if I get a Titanium I can use the Android for GPS and add maps, like TomTom For Android, and have BOTH a walkie talkie AND a GPS all in one!

I would say I get the same range as frs just more secure. I like the tone when you hit the button you know you will be heard. It was not like that with the Trisquare you had no tone so it was hit or miss. I am using the original antenna and I was able to talk with one person in the house and me in my car ~0.5 a mile. I don't know if it's part of it being digital but is has a hard time decoding when you whisper or talk in a deep voice. One of my i355's now beeps half of the time when it picks up a transmission so I am not sure I can trust the radio to always work. It still picks up the transmission just does not beep, and one time it did keep on transmitting even after I let go of the button. It will still beep (chirp) when you hit the transmission button every time. I am thinking of saving up for some new dtr 550's. I think I would rather new to used so I know how they were treated.

dksac2

Can the Tri Square be coppied using the texting?
There is no arguement that if someone wants to get the specialized scanning equipment and get close enough to you, they can hear what you are saying.
If I'm somewhere using a Tri Square, unless someone knows I'm using one and gets close enough, they will never copy me.

For the price, they were a great little radio, offered a lot of features. You could talk to all or just one person, they text and they work great within their limits.

Nobody is saying you cannot monitor them if you really want to, but for the most part, no one is going to see me transmit, therefore, they are not going to get close enough to me to copy.

I'm just sorry to see the company out of business. I have 5 of them. If things go way south, they would be great for a small group to talk on so no one (for the most part) will ever hear you. You sure cannot say the same about GMRS, FRS, VHF/UHF, Murs etc.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.