trouble picking up MARCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

adacats

Scanner and Train Nerd
I have been having issues picking up MARCS channels on my new BCD996XT. I'm not sure if it is actually a low signal, or my scanner having trouble decoding. It starts with weird static then eventually cuts in to the audio. Sometime it just comes across as static. It shows almost full bars when in scanning, but when it actually is recieving traffic the bars go down. So it picks up the control channel fine. Is there soemthing I can do in the settings to possible help this problem. The channel is on traditional MARCS, and not the P25 System, which I actually have also had some trouble with but seems to be working fine now. All these channels come in great on my pro-106, but it is out of commission.

adacats

Scanner and Train Nerd
I am aware of simulcast multipath issues, but i dont believe that is the problem I am having since there is only one MARCS tower in Athens, and it is right by athens city where I live.

budevans

I have been having issues picking up MARCS channels on my new BCD996XT. I'm not sure if it is actually a low signal, or my scanner having trouble decoding. It starts with weird static then eventually cuts in to the audio. Sometime it just comes across as static. It shows almost full bars when in scanning, but when it actually is recieving traffic the bars go down. So it picks up the control channel fine. Is there soemthing I can do in the settings to possible help this problem. The channel is on traditional MARCS, and not the P25 System, which I actually have also had some trouble with but seems to be working fine now. All these channels come in great on my pro-106, but it is out of commission.

Did you setup the rebanding table? If not, you will need to do that. Check out the Wiki or Uniden forum if you need help with rebanding.

adacats

Scanner and Train Nerd
Yes I have rebanded all the channels as well. Wouldnt I not pick them up at all if I didnt?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I437P using Tapatalk

SCPD

QRT
Rebanding MARCS

I think you need to add the rebanding tables - not just put the new frequencies in.
See this from my BCD996XT in FreeScan:

Last edited:

adacats

Scanner and Train Nerd
Ill check the band plan I am using when I get home and see if it is accurate. I am using a diamond antenna, ill have to check on the specific one and get back to you.

adacats

Scanner and Train Nerd
Do i need to update the band plan for the P25 system? I added the new band table for standard MARCS, well see if it works better. Also I am interchangably using the stock antenna and a RH77CA Diamond Antenna. Im waiting for the bnc l angle adapter before i consistently use it.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Do i need to update the band plan for the P25 system? I added the new band table for standard MARCS, well see if it works better. Also I am interchangably using the stock antenna and a RH77CA Diamond Antenna. Im waiting for the bnc l angle adapter before i consistently use it.

Use "P25 Auto" for the new P25 system. No custom tables needed.

adacats

Scanner and Train Nerd
There is no auto option in Freescan or my scanner than I can find for auto, it only gives P25 standard or P25 one frequency trunk

Bucko

As Wa8pyr stated use P25 Standard on the new MARCS IP but you do need to set up trunk tables for the old MARCS and use Mot Type ll P25.I an sure you have that figured out now though.

mdulrich

Feed Provider
As Wa8pyr stated use P25 Standard on the new MARCS IP but you do need to set up trunk tables for the old MARCS and use Mot Type ll P25.I an sure you have that figured out now though.

P25 Standard in the Site Type, Auto in APCO Mode. This is in Freescan under Site Setup. Only change the APCO Mode if you are changing some of the P25 decode settings.

Mike

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Program MARCS-IP as P25 Standard (Digital XT). No custom tables needed.

The old MARCS system is a Motorola Type II system using digital voice, hence the need for the reband tables.

The new MARCS-IP system is a true P25 digital system.

Also any 800 MHz. antenna, like the one from RS, works best and will greatly improve decoding of these systems.

Last edited:

adacats

Scanner and Train Nerd
Since I also need to pick up conventional channels, would the diamond rh77ca antenna I have work better overall. Waiting for an angle adapter before installing.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Since I also need to pick up conventional channels, would the diamond rh77ca antenna I have work better overall. Waiting for an angle adapter before installing.

It will work better for the conventionals but no so much for 800s. It is a ham antenna used for 144 MHz and 440 Mhz. It is kind of a compromise.

If you are close to the other stations and the signals are clear enough you may receive them with an 800 antenna.

adacats

Scanner and Train Nerd
i found this video on youtube that kind of demonstrates my issue. It makes the digital interference sound you hear often during the first few seconds of a transmission, then the audio is fine. Is this just due to reception problems, or is there something i can change in the setting to address it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9Cze9Qbdvg

Status
Not open for further replies.