Trouble programming my 996p2 with computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

admin256

I am currently trying to program a 996p2 using freescan and a laptop to a 996p2 mounted in vehicle

I get thru everything and get an error message cant find port or something like that

Can someone tell me the remedy for this please

Can someone tell me the remedy for this please
Are you using the correct cable?

A KNOWN good cable?

If you upgraded your PC to Windows 10 since you last uploaded to the scanner - it won't work.

I don't know if this applies to you:

Q: I downloaded Windows 10, and now my scanner does not work.

A: All of our scanners with native USB just plug and play with Windows 10. For older models (i.e. “XT” or “X” models) that have a serial connection, older USB-1 cables will not work, as Prolific changed their drivers several years ago to only work with their newer chipset that has anti-counterfeit features. At that time, we changed the chipset in our USB-1 cables. So, if you have an older USB-1 cable it won’t work with Windows 10 (or really w/8 using current drivers). Newer (last couple of years) cables will work.

Last edited:

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
You might try doing the Auto Detect (Start Auto) in the Read window. (Its always good to do a read as a very first step, just to be sure you got a good connection, then make the programming changes).

It could be an issue of wrong com port choice or baud rate, if the cable is appropriate.

Status
Not open for further replies.