Trunk programming my 396 & 996

Status
Not open for further replies.

k2ns

Hi all,

I have both a 396 and a 996. I have used the Uniden software to program conventional systems into both of them, and so far have had little or no problems. I now want to program a trunked system into them. I read through both radio manuals, and the help files in both programs, and also searched here on RR with no success to find trunking instructions. I want to program in the system on this page:

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=1744

My choices in programming were 800 Mhz type 2, or Motorola UHF. According to RR, it is a 400 Mhz type 2 system, so using the Uniden software, I chose UHF (because it's not an 800 Mhz system). I chose my quick key, delay and hold times, and then went to trunk options where I entered the 2 frequencies in red.

I then chose OK, and downloaded the system to my 396. Is that all there is to programming a trunked system ??? It seems too easy, and as of now (about 12 hours after I programmed it in), the scanner has not yet stopped on any of those 2 frequencies. There should be quite a bit of activity on that system, as the county dispatches fire, buses, public works, and many other services on that system. Where did I go wrong ???

RON

Last edited:

n2mdk

Since it's a UHF system the base, offset/channel and step/spacing have to be set as well. There are 2 seperate sites with their own settings. On the 996 they need to be set up as different Sites on the 396 they need to be set up as seperate systems.
The Settings are listed under Misc System Information.The North Zone requires 1 band plan set the South Zone requires 2 different ones set.

Last edited:

k2ns

Trunk Programming

OK, I followed your instructions and made up 2 separate systems--one north and one south. The north system has one bandplan and the south system has 2 entries in the bandplan screen. What do those 3 frequencies that I entered in the bandplan represent ???

Now, I want to program another trunked system. This one is a Motorola 800 Mhz type 2 system. Here is a link to it:

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=3269

It has 3 freqs in red, but no miscellaneous info section like the other system, and no bandplan option when I program it in. I assume that all I have to do is plug in the 3 frequencies on this one--Am I correct ???

RON

Last edited:

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
You do not need to enter a band plan for 800 MHz systems. Just select 800 MHz Standard (not Splinter) and program the three control channels.

k2ns

Programming again

Hi Upman,

Ok, that one is done. Now I am trying to program the following system into my 996.

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=1744

I select Motorola type 2. I then click on site settings, and then enter the first site name (Westchester North). I then click onfrequency and enter the north frequency of 470.575 . I then click on bandplan and enter the north info there--Am I right so far ???

Next, I click on "new band plan", name it Westchester South and then click on frequency, and enter 476.2375. I then click on bandplan and enter the 2 south bandplans--right so far ??? Here's where I have a problem. The second "entered frequency" of 476.2375 keeps disappearing on me--the bandplan remains, but the "frequency" I entered for Westchester south keeps disappearing. Can you help me ???

RON

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
You don't put the control channel frequency in the band plan. You should be entering the band plan information there:

South Zone, Range 1: Base = 469.525 MHz, Step = 12.5 kHz, Channel = 380
South Zone, Range 2: Base = 476.075 MHz, Step = 12.5 kHz, Channel = 526

What is called "Channel" in the above quote every other place (including in the scanner) is called the "offset". So, you need to enter the band plan (base/step/offset) then also enter the control channel's frequency in System Frequencies.

k2ns

Hi again Upman,

Would you mind if I gave you a phone call, and possibly you could walk me through this ??? I am entering the 2 control freqs where it says "frequencies" but they keep disappearing on me. E-mail me with your number at

solidgold@optonline.net

RON

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Cool...I'm in and out of a big project, so just spot check over here occasionally...don't really have time for an extended interruption right now.

k2ns

OK,

It's working. When the scanner stops on a talk group, it displays the group number. I took the few group numbers that I have, and looked them up. I entered the group numbers and their description in the "group settings page". I then downloaded everything again to the 996. I expected that when it stops scanning to display the description of the group--instead, it still displays the group number. How do i get it to display the description instead of the group number ???

RON

Status
Not open for further replies.