Pro-528: Trunk programming the PRO-528

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1988

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help me. I'm trying to program a Motorola type II smartnet into my Radio Shack PRO 528 and I'm at a loss. The user manual isn't really clear on it and I have been trying for months and googling and I'm getting nowhere. PLEASE HELP...

tvengr

Well Known Member
Is that the Obion Co Reg Public Safety System? Are you using programming software or are you entering it manually into the scanner? What talkgroups do you want to listen to?

tvengr

Well Known Member
I downloaded the manual to the 528. Once I do a little reading, I will get back to you and try to give you a hand. This is very similar to many other scanners I have done and shouldn't be a problem. If you have any questions, please let me know.

Nick1988

I need public works and schools but not radio techs. Thank you so much for helping. I mean I understand the guide but I'm not sure if the control channel has to be programmed first or not and I know how to enter in the id's I just don't know if they have to be in order.

Nick1988

I have trouble programming the trunk frequencies but everything else I'm good at it. I have programmed them in and I don't get anything and I know it will do type II Smartnet but don't know how to program it

tvengr

Well Known Member
You have to enter the frequencies as Motorola 800 trunking. While in conventional mode, press E/PGM and then TRUNK. The scanner will beep and then TRUNK and all of the Bank numbers will flash. Press 1. You will be entering the frequencies in Bank #1. Use the Up and Down Arrows to select E2-800 and press E/PGM. Prog F appears. Press E/PGM. The scanner will select the first channel in Bank #1. Enter the first frequency and press E/PGM.
Frequency List:
The Bank Number, Channel Number, and M will appear. If you make an error entering a frequency, press ./CLR and then re-enter the frequency and press E/PGM. Use Up or Down Arrow to select the next channel and continue to enter the remaining frequencies and press E/PGM after each one. After entering all of the frequencies, press SRCH to search for the control channel. Once the control channel is acquired, the scanner begins a search for active talkgroups. You should be able to hear everything on the system in trunk search mode. That will tell you if everything was entered correctly. If you press SCAN/MANUAL, the scanner will switch to trunk scan, but that won't do you any good until the talkgroups are entered. I am working on scan lists. Do you want Public Works, Utilities, Schools, and Radio Techs? Let me know if the Bank Number, Channel Number and M appeared as you entered each of the remaining frequencies. You are right that the manual is very confusing.

Last edited:

K9DAK

Premium Subscriber
You are right that the manual is very confusing.

Yeah, I looked at it this afternoon too... I've been programming scanners for over 40 years, and that manual made my brain hurt. Nice job deciphering it for the OP!

Nick1988

You have to enter the frequencies as Motorola 800 trunking. While in conventional mode, press E/PGM and then TRUNK. The scanner will beep and then TRUNK and all of the Bank numbers will flash. Press 1. You will be entering the frequencies in Bank #1. Use the Up and Down Arrows to select E2-800 and press E/PGM. Prog F appears. Press E/PGM. The scanner will select the first channel in Bank #1. Enter the first frequency and press E/PGM.
Frequency List:
The Bank Number, Channel Number, and M will appear. If you make an error entering a frequency, press ./CLR and then re-enter the frequency and press E/PGM. Use Up or Down Arrow to select the next channel and continue to enter the remaining frequencies and press E/PGM after each one. After entering all of the frequencies, press SRCH to search for the control channel. Once the control channel is acquired, the scanner begins a search for active talkgroups. You should be able to hear everything on the system in trunk search mode. That will tell you if everything was entered correctly. If you press SCAN/MANUAL, the scanner will switch to trunk scan, but that won't do you any good until the talkgroups are entered. I am working on scan lists. Do you want Public Works, Utilities, Schools, and Radio Techs? Let me know if the Bank Number, Channel Number and M appeared as you entered each of the remaining frequencies. You are right that the manual is very confusing.
Thank you so much. I'll program some frequencies and let you know if it works. And yes I do need public works, utilities. I don't need the others. I have tried for months to try and understand the trunking section and you think it would be easy since I build and repair computers.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Enter all of the frequencies and let me know if the radio starts trunking. I tried to send you a PM, but it was not permitted. I am organizing TGID's into scan lists and will be sending that to you shortly.

Nick1988

I entered in the frequencies but I'm getting nothing and I entered them in exactly like you said and pressed search. It looks like it's searching for the control channel buy I can't hear anything.

tvengr

Well Known Member
The control channel frequency can change. Is the scanner sitting on 859.7125? If you listen to the control channel, you should hear a constant buzz,. but not when you are trunking Is the frequency showing an M for Motorola? Unfortunately, I have not been able to locate a good view of the display to see what information it gives. Every shot of the scanner in the manual has a blank screen. Would it be possible for you to send me a shot of the screen on your scanner?

Nick1988

It is on 859.7125 and it has an M and is currently searching. When I stop the search I can hear the buzzing on the cc. And I can post a shot of the screen

Nick1988

The picture is blurry because it's flashing back and fourth while it searches

Attachments

• 1560382060681-1188394474.jpg
    1560382060681-1188394474.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 9
Status
Not open for further replies.