Trunking and USB Programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

psinewe

Man I feel old {:)

What kind of specs would I be looking for in the cable, I keep wondering if thats it.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
It is either a straight-thru cable or a null-modem (aka "crossover") cable. The cable should be a "straight thru" cable to work with the 780.

pappy1

The PSR 500 and 600 come with a USB cable.

None of the scanner programming software I've used has been able to automatically detect my USB cable comm port. I have to go find the value and set it manually. Not a real difficult task, but even with step by step instructions, it has been beyond some folks on this board.

The Win500 will find comport for you.

Version 1.52 2008.Added "Find PSR-500/600 Serial Port" item to the Configuration menu. Selecting it will automatically find any PSR-500 or PSR-600 that is currently connected to the PC, and will store the "found" COM port as the Win500 default.

This is from www.starrsoft.com/win500

qlajlu

Silent Key
psinewe, ...and before the computer would/could talk to the scanner I had to change the baud rate (transfer speed) on the scanner. The 780 defaults to 9600 BPS and the programming software was preset to communicate at 19200 BPS.

Now this may not even be part of the equation in solving your issues, but it might be worth looking at. I think UPMan would be able to answer that question.

IIRC, the two main causes for problems with connecting are not using the correct cable and not having the serial port speed set correctly (software and scanner must match).

I have never actually programmed or used a 780, though, so have no direct experience to draw from (that model is waaaay before my time with Uniden).
Which brings us back to the baud rates. psinewe, check the documentation on your programming software to see if it specifies a transfer speed. If it does not, go ahead and change the speed on the 780 scanner to 19200 BPS and try it. At this point, it will either fix the problem or it won't. If it doesn't, the only thing you are out is your time to make the change. Instructions to change the baud rate are on page 66 of the Owner's Manual that I received. Your mileage may vary.

EDIT TO ADD:
My 780s came with an RS232C straight interface cable in the box. Quote from the Owner's Manual:
Plug the scanner end of the RS232C straight interface cable into the remote port on the rear of your scanner.

Plug the other end of the cable (DB-9 serial connector) into a personal computer's serial port. A few PCs may require an adapter, most will not.
It seems to me that you should be able to get an adapter to allow you to plug the straight interface cable into a USB port.

Last edited:

n2mdk

Thanks Jerri, that's a bummer! :(

In reality that makes the 5/600 price at $464.99 instead of $499.99 and consider this..the 96/2096 are still normally priced at $499.99 without cable. How bout it RS, get with it.

You welcome Frank. I know the GRE's come with A/C adapters, for the handhelds, as well, makes buying something like the PSR-300 over a Pro-164 sort of a no brainer, unless the 164 is really on sale.

psinewe

It is either a straight-thru cable or a null-modem (aka "crossover") cable. The cable should be a "straight thru" cable to work with the 780.

Ahhhh, I am certain that it is a null-modem cable, that may be the problem.

psinewe

Holy crap!!!! That was it. Wrong Serial cable, its working great as we speak!!! Now I just need to remember how to program this thing, well, that will be entirely different thread {:)

Thanks again to all!

Status
Not open for further replies.