TRX-1 and TRX-2 Discontinued ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
Can someone tell me where is the working version of Siren that will allow me to listen to my 536 from anywhere in the world? Anyone? It's on the box....oh, wait, the company that supposedly beat Whistler to a pulp is fallible as well? Who knew? I wouldn't from all of the posts.

As far as GRE-what do you think the reason they went out of business was? It wasn't an unsustainable business model, my understanding is they lost the land their factory was on and weren't given sufficient notice to properly relocate. Insinuating they weren't competitive and Whistler purchased a failing product is inaccurate. They bought IP that was at end of life and didn't have the expertise to develop further than what GRE already had on the drawing board when the whole scanner world got turned upside down with SDR based scanners.

k5xs

Premium Subscriber
It's insulting to suggest that only someone not "in their right mind" would buy a TRX-1 or TRX-2. I love my TRX-1, and if it meets a user's needs, why not buy one, especially at a low price.

And the notion that Whistler "could or could not down the road support the radios and give you firmware upgrades" is no different from any company. Uniden could drop out of the market anytime they see it as unprofitable.

Bob1955

That's interesting indeed. I didn't see anywhere on Whistler's site were they were going to drop them. It does make you wonder why some folks are no longer selling them. I figured someone had the scoop.

Thanks for the info.
Bearcat Warehouse in Maryland is dropping Whistler-FYI

wizardofid

I sorry if this is post is rehashing a touchy subject... but I am considering the purchased of another digital (phase 2) scanner and a "TRX" model is at the top of my list. I can live with a radio who's technology has been surpassed by the newer Uniden model, but I would sure hate to lay of some serious money, only to find that I will be unable to get support for the product (both radio & software) in the future. Anyone care to offer their opinion(s) in regard to this matter?

RRR

Premium Subscriber
I think this thread should be closed now since Uniden beat them to a pulp into submission.

Your opinion has been (again) duly noted.

Uniden developed a scanner that trunk tracks DMR and NXDN, and helps with simulcast distortion.

The TRX series are awesome for "finding"stuff. You can select the types of digital modes you want, even listen to ENC noise to get TG's and unit ID's (for whatever that's worth)

I think Uniden and Whistler both have their benefits. ...Several hundred others obviously do not share your opinion.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
I bought a TRX-1 and am thrilled with it. At this point Uniden has nothing that interests me or that would do anything that I want or need.

Ditto. While I have an SDS100 and BCD436HP, I like the TRX-1 much better for scanning DMR and NXDN. It just works; don't really need to fiddle around with LCN numbers and all that stuff, just program the frequencies and let er' rip. For scanning non-simulcast P25, again, it just works, and quite well.

Works a lot better for scanning railroad NXDN (what little there is of it), too.

Last edited:

hardsuit

Vrigo Super Cluster, Milky Way Galaxy, Sagatarious
I have a TRX-1 for Trunking and Digital Modes, and I have a ICOM R30 for EVERYTHING else.
too bad Whistler cant add Built in GPS and Bluetooth to its Scanners.
Whistler still has a Market even IF they don't make a LSM capable scanner.
they need to Focus on the Analog Spectrum as well and the Digital Modes as well.
Whistler would do fine IF they made Digital Scanners with Built in GPS and Bluetooth Audio.

Reactions: RRR

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
I have a TRX-1 for Trunking and Digital Modes, and I have a ICOM R30 for EVERYTHING else.
too bad Whistler cant add Built in GPS and Bluetooth to its Scanners. ... Whistler would do fine IF they made Digital Scanners with Built in GPS and Bluetooth Audio.
They could certainly add Bluetooth to a future model but it wouldn't do them much good to add a GPS since I believe Uniden has the patent for automatically changing the tower locations scanned using a GPS.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
They could certainly add Bluetooth to a future model but it wouldn't do them much good to add a GPS since I believe Uniden has the patent for automatically changing the tower locations scanned using a GPS.

Ummm, ...yea. That's why he stated "too bad Whistler can't add GPS"

And on that note, it is too bad Uniden WON'T add GPS into their scanners, without an add-on. (Completely ridiculous for having a portable scanner with you while you travel, I'm not going to hook up wires and use up a lighter plug just for GPS, when it very easily could have been incorporated into it. There is (well, not for right now) a member here who very successfully added internal GPS to the SDS100.

DJ11DLN

Ummm, ...yea. That's why he stated "too bad Whistler can't add GPS"

And on that note, it is too bad Uniden WON'T add GPS into their scanners, without an add-on. (Completely ridiculous for having a portable scanner with you while you travel, I'm not going to hook up wires and use up a lighter plug just for GPS, when it very easily could have been incorporated into it. There is (well, not for right now) a member here who very successfully added internal GPS to the SDS100.
And we will all be very glad when he's back...well, most of us. I know I really wish I'd sent him my 436 before he had his misfortune. So for now when I go out of state I have to deal with that rat's nest nightmare Rube Goldberg mess of wiring...but it lets me concentrate on driving instead of toggling scan lists.;)

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
My Whistler digital scanners work well on non-LSM P25, and work well on UHF. I don't care for them for air band work or FM VHF, but they have a place in my collection. The absolute, single, most important thing about any scanner, is that it works for an individual, in his or her situation. Everyone's situation is unique. If a TRX works well for someone, then that's great. I also hope that Whistler comes thundering back and proves the doubters wrong. Competition is good. But given what I've seen, I don't think that's likely to be honest.

TAbirdman

I was overtly curious so I just called the Whistler Group customer service number and was on hold for 19 minutes, then a recording came on requesting a message and beeped, cut me off. Just an observation.

Just curious, did you call Whistler's radar line or the scanner line?

wbswetnam

The absolute, single, most important thing about any scanner, is that it works for an individual, in his or her situation. Everyone's situation is unique.

Yes, absolutely. My WS-1095 works great on the AWIN network where I live in northwest Arkansas. No simulcast issues here, so no reason for me to get rid of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.