TRX-1 Programming Tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nascar18

Premium Subscriber
Hi All,
What is the best way to load RISCON in this scanner? I know it has 4 sites and I am closes to the East site. Do you load the RISCON system 4 times to select each site. Or do you load it once and lock out the site you don't want to listen to.
:mad:

Also has anyone tried to make any digital adjustment to the scanner for better sounding digital? I own a PSR 600 and it sounds great compared to the TRX-1.

rayvelcoro

Hi All,
What is the best way to load RISCON in this scanner? I know it has 4 sites and I am closes to the East site. Do you load the RISCON system 4 times to select each site. Or do you load it once and lock out the site you don't want to listen to.
:mad:

Also has anyone tried to make any digital adjustment to the scanner for better sounding digital? I own a PSR 600 and it sounds great compared to the TRX-1.
(
load all sites then divide talkgroups amongst scanlists depending upon categories (eg, talkgroups from your city or area of interest may be in scanlist #1).

Nascar18

Premium Subscriber
It's a very confusing scanner and EZ SCAN software doesn't help.
I found some very good instructions on RR about setting up the TRX-1. But you follow the instructions and they don't work. I like being old school and program manually, but this scanner doesn't like like that. The instructions given tell you to load the whole system 4x RISCON: North, Providence, South and East then lock out the one system and open the next and lock out. The problem is that even if you just ask to DL the North system it includes all the sites and frequencies so when you lock out the other 3 sites it blocks the other sites from working. It's very not user friendly to the average scanner listener.

What I did find that you can adjust the DSP, ADC and DAC to improve P-25 reception. The default is DSP 64, ADC -2 and DAC -4. You make the DSP change by 8's. I found DSP 80, ADC 0 and DAC -2. Works great for EAST zone. I just settled on the RISCON East zone for now. Maybe renaming the zones different could be the address.

Nascar18

Premium Subscriber
N1GAW,
In the example it shows the LA PD which only has one site. My problem with RISCON it has 4 sites with there own set of frequencies and all the TG's are tied into the whole system. What I am finding out is if you adjust for the North site you hurt the South site and so on. You can add your own frequencies but you can't adjust the TG's with out removing them from the other sites that use them. The only way around this is you can't scan the system sites in the same scan list in the same V-scanner folder. I guess you would have to create a V-Scanner folder for each site. If someone has the answer to being able to scan the system in the same scan list, I am all ears!!

I also tried to load each site into it's own folder and the software won't let you do it correctly.

Last edited:

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
@Nascar18 add the system then duplicate the system,
Screenshot 2021-01-18 10.43.27.png

In the duplicated system go to sites and lock out three of them, change the TGs to a new scanlist (remember to rename it in the scanlist menu in general settings).

The only issue this will cause, doing it this way, is when you update from the database it will only update the original system, you must manually duplicate the others.

tvengr

Well Known Member
You can set up 4 separate systems, each with all of the talkgroups and a single site, and assign all of the talkgroups to the same scan list. It would probably be advantageous to assign each system to a separate scan list so that you can easily select each site and find which are out of range. I would incorporate the name of the site into each system name, such as RISCON Prov City, RISCON North, RISCON South, and RISCON East, so you can differentiate which sites you are scanning.

Last edited:

Nascar18

Premium Subscriber
N1GAW,
Thanks for the tips. I tried a new configuration with your idea and it's a lot better. I am learning to skip TG's instead of L/O TG's.
I have also been experimenting with the DSP, ADC and DAC. Do you have any settings on that??

rayvelcoro

The DSP setting in particular is location and system dependent. I have found that tweaking it up or down according to my location can be slightly helpful. For example, a DSP of 64 has never worked whereas 47 does-- there's no rhyme or reason to it.

Nascar18

Premium Subscriber
Ray,
Thanks. I saw another member was using DSP of 75. ADC 0 and DAC -6. I tried that and it made a difference. Yeah 64 did nothing for me either. My PSR 600 sounds great on P-25.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
N1GAW,
Thanks for the tips. I tried a new configuration with your idea and it's a lot better. I am learning to skip TG's instead of L/O TG's.
I have also been experimenting with the DSP, ADC and DAC. Do you have any settings on that??
Those only affect P25. If you can hear it and understand it then you probably do not need to adjust those.

Status
Not open for further replies.