TRX 1 Vs. TRX 2 programing

Status
Not open for further replies.

RBFD415

I currently have a TRX 1 and program it my self with the Whistler software. My coworker bought a TRX 2 and was frustrated with the programing so he asked me to look at it. When I removed the SD card I was surprised it was a full size card, and not the micro SD in my TRX 1, when I placed it in my laptop, the software would not read the card and a error message came up. I suspect the SD card is corrupted? I told my friend to get another fresh SD card and we would try again.

After speaking to him, it occurred to me, would his TRX 2 work, if I used an SD card adaptor and took the micro card from my TRX 1and installed it in his radio?

So, my question is: do the two radios in question, the TRX 1 and TRX 2 use the same programing format? Could SD cards (with a adaptor) be switched from one to the other?

TY

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Go to FILE tab at top, save your configuration to Archive.

Download and install TRX-2 EZ Scan from Whistler TRX-2 Scanner Downloads

Go to TRX-2 EZ Scan and from FILE tab RESTORE FROM ARCHIVE the TRX-1 file you saved in step one.

Save to Scanner/SD Card, it should now work fine.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Did he format the card with EZ Scan or Windows. I have used a TRX 2, but I am guessing that it does not like Widows format.

Daleb49

Premium Subscriber
I currently have a TRX 1 and program it my self with the Whistler software. My coworker bought a TRX 2 and was frustrated with the programing so he asked me to look at it. When I removed the SD card I was surprised it was a full size card, and not the micro SD in my TRX 1, when I placed it in my laptop, the software would not read the card and a error message came up. I suspect the SD card is corrupted? I told my friend to get another fresh SD card and we would try again.

After speaking to him, it occurred to me, would his TRX 2 work, if I used an SD card adaptor and took the micro card from my TRX 1and installed it in his radio?

So, my question is: do the two radios in question, the TRX 1 and TRX 2 use the same programing format? Could SD cards (with a adaptor) be switched from one to the other?

TY
To answer your question yes you can use your TRX-1 micro card with the adapter in the TRX-2.
I had a corrupt database on my TRX-2 card and a Whistler tech had me try my TRX-1 card with the adapter to test it in the TRX-2 and it worked just fine.
Sounds like his card is bad though.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Go to FILE tab at top, save your configuration to Archive.

Download and install TRX-2 EZ Scan from Whistler TRX-2 Scanner Downloads

Go to TRX-2 EZ Scan and from FILE tab RESTORE FROM ARCHIVE the TRX-1 file you saved in step one.

Save to Scanner/SD Card, it should now work fine.

THAT is the CORRECT method for cloning between the scanners...works between TRX and WS series as well.

Paul

Megsixo

Female Ham Radio Operator
whats the difference between the two? I just got a TRX-1 and the scanning program is super easy! But it sounds like the SD Card is corrupt. Get a card reader and format. Also another thing you can do is check if the LOCK slider was turned to LOCK if so unlock it and should work. If not like I said reformat it on the computer. It should work.
I had to manually download the program myself from their website and sign up for that site that has the file. And had to install and follow instructions.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
whats the difference between the two? ... If not like I said reformat it on the computer. It should work.

You need to format from the EZ Scan program for best results, NOT from the computer, though you can format/copy config and library through EZ Scan to the SD Card using the computers SD card slot for faster results. While the TRX-1 & 2 (and 1080 and 1080 clones) are very similiar there are a few different settings which is why there are several versions of EZ Scan (1080 vs TRX 1 vs TRX 2)

Ubbe

Get a SD card interface for USB for your PC. When you insert the card in the interface your PC will say if something is corrupt. I have recording set to almost everything and almost each time I connenct to my PC, once a week, there's a couple of file corruptions. I always format using the SD Formatter program and then let EZ-Scan prepare the card and put the files on it.

When I listen to recordings using EZ-Scan, and also with the SD card in the PC, I delete files when I have listened to them and when re-index it pops up some new recordings. Sometimes those files cannot be deleted and the whole SD card has to be reformatted.

It doesn't matter what brand and size of SD card I use. I have two systems and one scanlist that needs to be disabled as if I try and edit anything in those systems/scan list it says something about trying to read/write outside of memory area and crasches.

An interesting thing are that when I move all recordings from the SD card to the PC's harddrive and using the Uniden wav player program, that also handles Whistler recordnings, there's never any such problems with missing and locked files. It seems to happen when EZ-Scan access the file system.

/Ubbe

Machria

Premium Subscriber
Get a SD card interface for USB for your PC. When you insert the card in the interface your PC will say if something is corrupt. I have recording set to almost everything and almost each time I connenct to my PC, once a week, there's a couple of file corruptions. I always format using the SD Formatter program and then let EZ-Scan prepare the card and put the files on it.

When I listen to recordings using EZ-Scan, and also with the SD card in the PC, I delete files when I have listened to them and when re-index it pops up some new recordings. Sometimes those files cannot be deleted and the whole SD card has to be reformatted.

It doesn't matter what brand and size of SD card I use. I have two systems and one scanlist that needs to be disabled as if I try and edit anything in those systems/scan list it says something about trying to read/write outside of memory area and crasches.

An interesting thing are that when I move all recordings from the SD card to the PC's harddrive and using the Uniden wav player program, that also handles Whistler recordnings, there's never any such problems with missing and locked files. It seems to happen when EZ-Scan access the file system.

/Ubbe

That is all wacky! You have something wrong going on there. I transfer the voice files all the time, 1000's of them and have never had any issues whatsoever. Sometimes I do it via the Whistler software (takes forever) and sometimes I do it via file copies. Neither ever causes any issues, and I've never had anything corrupt on either of the SD cards I use on the TRX1. I have a large (8gb) and small (2gb) card and use them both at times.

You might have some issues with the SD drivers or bus your using. And if you using a cheap external SD card reader as those UN-branded ones on Amazon and eBay, they definitely can cause issues. I had an issue with an SD card for 2 years that I use in my boats navigation system. I was on the phone with Garmin for hours on end troubleshooting it over 2 years! I sent the chart-plotter (navigation computer) in to them over one winter to get checked, all was fine... could never figure out the issue. One day I bought a new card reader to replace the old one which was missing a micro port (micro SD which I then needed for something else). Low and behold, my corruption problem on the Garmin chip suddenly went away. Try changing the card reader... Unless of course other people have seen similar issues? I haven't.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
That is all wacky! You have something wrong going on there. I transfer the voice files all the time, 1000's of them and have never had any issues whatsoever. ... Unless of course other people have seen similar issues? I haven't.

Like @Ubbe, I too have had issues, you should count yourself lucky @Machria

Machria

Premium Subscriber
Like @Ubbe, I too have had issues, you should count yourself lucky @Machria

I would check your sd card reader and drivers as well. I have a lot of bad things to say about the whistler software, and a long list of changes I've asked for.... but corruption has not been one of them. ;) Luck? maybe, but I doubt it! As a l-o-n-g time IT guy/software engineer I can tell you, luck does not often come into play. ;)

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
Some differences in programming Trx-1 vs 2 are the version of Ezscan you must use.
The trx-2 version also allows you to set the squelch knob to be used as volume or squelch.
The trx-1 has adjustments for battery gauge and charging.

There may be others but those are what come off the top of my head.

RBFD415

Hey everybody, been a while since I first asked my question, I see a lot of you offered insight (Thank You!). Unfortunately with work being what it has been since April, I couldn't return my focus to dealing with the programing of the cards. I just recently got a couple of new spare micro SD cards, and I'm here with my coworker trying to do programing. So following the directions as you guys so kindly offered, I'm still having an issue. I followed the directions as above to format the brand new card with the EZ Scan program and then load the program file. Each time the TRX 1 immediately rejects the card. If I then switch back to my original micro SD card, the radio works just fine!? Thoughts?

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
Not all cards are compatible, I only use SANDISK 8gb CLASS 4 cards you can get them on amazon for about $7 shipped with prime

Machria

Premium Subscriber
format the brand new card with the EZ Scan program and then load the program file.

When you say "Load the program file", what exactly do you mean? Your not trying to put the EZScan program onto the SD card, are you? With the formated SD card in the PC, run EZscan and select menu item "Scanner/SD Card", then select "Copy Configuration To Scanner Memory/SD Card". Maybe that is what you are doing, your just worded it wrong?

Ubbe

Be sure to format it as fat32 and not NTFS. Download SDFormatter and use that to format, then use EZScam to prepare card.
Sizes above 32GB are not supported in the scanner.

/Ubbe

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
Be sure to format it as fat32 and not NTFS. Download SDFormatter and use that to format, then use EZScam to prepare card.
Sizes above 32GB are not supported in the scanner.

/Ubbe
Preparing the sdcard in ezscan properly formats the card before it installs your configuration and the library.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
If you get an error writing after initialize format, just cancel and hit it with another format through EZscan...happens.

paul

Status
Not open for further replies.