TRX-2 Help

danc107

Premium Subscriber
Hello all, recently got a trx-2 from someone and I cant seem to get it to power on, the only way I can get it to power on is by plugging in the usb port to my computer and then it tells me the “back up battery” is charging but once I turn off my laptop it turns off. The guy barely used it, it looks brand new. Has anyone had this issue before?

alabamarailfan

Premium Subscriber
How long are you holding the power button down? On my TRX-2, I have to hold it for about 3 seconds before it properly powers on. Hope that helps!

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber

alabamarailfan

Premium Subscriber
Have you tried removing the head and cleaning the contacts on the back? If that doesn't work, I am at a loss. Hopefully, someone else with pop in with something to try.

danc107

Premium Subscriber
Do you have the scanner connected to a 12vdc power source? It will not run off of USB power.
I have it plugged into the back of the scanner and i to the wall, Im currently charging the back up battery from my pc with the scanner plugged in

dispatch235

Premium Subscriber
I had the same problem with my TRX 2 after I had put it away for a few months... I can't remember what I wound up doing that solved the issue but It may have been in one of these threads that I tried and eventually got all back to normal.

danc107

Premium Subscriber
I had the same problem with my TRX 2 after I had put it away for a few months... I can't remember what I wound up doing that solved the issue but It may have been in one of these threads that I tried and eventually got all back to normal.

Ok its funny you said that because the guy i bought it from told me he had put it away and then just decided to sell it

tvengr

Well Known Member
Courtesy of TAbirdman:

Try a few things:
1) with no cables attached to the unit press and hold the power button for 30 seconds ( use the timer on your PC, has to be at least 30 seconds)
2) plug in power cable and press and hold power button until unit tells you to let go.

No luck?
remove head and use the LAN cable. if it now works, turn the scanner to noaa so you have constant talking. unplug the LAN cable and reconnect the head. Does it work? No? then take a small screwdriver and "clean" the gold contacts on the main unit and try it again.

dispatch235

Premium Subscriber
Ok its funny you said that because the guy i bought it from told me he had put it away and then just decided to sell it
Yeah sounds like the same scenario, reason I mentioned my experience so you didn't go to the expense of sending it in... I do remember at one point having to reformat the sd card when it wouldn't power on... I hadn't had any more problems after I started removing the card and using the card reader to do any programming, and it reads and sends much faster. Same as the Uniden sd card radios, faster communicating with programming and no more errors (so far lol)

lamarrsy

Premium Subscriber
Isn’t it just like when the internal battery that keeps the memory settings & all is depleted because the scanner has been stored and not powered on since many ,onths, you have to keep it plugged-in something like more than 24hrs ?
I seem to remember something like that for the BCD436HP back then when I purchased it in ~2016…

danc107

Premium Subscriber
The AC adapter is good and works, still cant get the unit to turn on unless the usb is plugged in the front of the unit

JustLou

The AC adapter is good and works, still cant get the unit to turn on unless the usb is plugged in the front of the unit
Are you sure it's good? Mine failed after a couple of months. It would still provide enough power to power on an older RS scanner I had, but no longer the TRX-2. I tried one of the other 12v adapters I had lying around, and the TRX-2 has been working fine with it for a few years now. I almost sent the TRX-2 in for repair because I thought the power supply was OK.