TRX Android Client

Status
Not open for further replies.

visegrip72

Thanks for your comment & ideas

1. Not sure. The way it is coded, it expects audio, I might be able to put something in there to allow failure of audio device in case a machine just does not have one. Sorta like if the audio fails, just move on without. I have to check.

2. I have to look into this, I don't see why not. Wonder how many would request this. Definitely something to consider during slow times to work on.

g6fgy

Premium Subscriber
Wishful thinking perhaps, but there's no harm in asking...any chance of a Linux server version? Not everyone runs Windows :) Mind you, having tried to write/code my own cdc-acm module to run the ControlDemo under Wine, I can appreciate it may not be that easy.

Good program though, thanks for the work you've put in - not tried the Android side as yet, but runs well when I do fire up my virtual Windows system - which isn't that often.

Last edited:

visegrip72

Glad the server runs well on your virtual windows machine and you like it.

Linux server... wow, that would be a learning experience! I've done programming for linux, but nothing had a UI, all console based programs, tons of scripts, in all different languages. I've never attempted to do any Linux interfaces. Is there even a driver for these scanners for Linux? This would be something for when I really have some time. My Linux stuff also never dealt with networking, audio, or serial communications.

g6fgy

Premium Subscriber
........... Is there even a driver for these scanners for Linux? ...... .
That, I think would be part of the problem, there isn't a Linux driver for the modem side of the TRX-1 or 2, although there is a API around that looks as though it might work - something I'm looking at when time & enthusiasm permit, but as I mention in another post, my coding skills are virtually nil, so it's 1 step forward and 10 backwards.

It would be nice if Whistler were to expand out into Linux support, we can but hope.

Keep up the good work.

PS: I've emailed Whistler scanner suggestions about Linux support...we shall wait & see

Last edited:

BrianG61UK

That, I think would be part of the problem, there isn't a Linux driver for the modem side of the TRX-1 or 2, although there is a API around that looks as though it might work - something I'm looking at when time & enthusiasm permit, but as I mention in another post, my coding skills are virtually nil, so it's 1 step forward and 10 backwards.

It would be nice if Whistler were to expand out into Linux support, we can but hope.

Keep up the good work.

PS: I've emailed Whistler scanner suggestions about Linux support...we shall wait & see
I doubt any coding is needed. Usually with Linux it's just a matter of telling it what kind of hardware is there and it'll already have drivers for it. Much as happens in Windows with what Whistler calls their "driver" file but which is in fact just a text file saying which already present standard drivers need to be used in Windows.

Last edited:

g6fgy

Premium Subscriber
With apologies for going slightly off topic, generally speaking you're correct BrianG61UK. Indeed, the SD card side of the TRX can be read when powered off.

The problem comes when it's powered up. The interface changes from the equivalent of a card reader to a USB serial modem. It's this modem that doesn't have a suitable Linux driver available. As the device ID can be detected, the theory is that it should be possible write a suitable driver. I don't really have the coding skills to do that, but have bash at it from time to time.

Eric - G6FGY

BrianG61UK

With apologies for going slightly off topic, generally speaking you're correct BrianG61UK. Indeed, the SD card side of the TRX can be read when powered off.

The problem comes when it's powered up. The interface changes from the equivalent of a card reader to a USB serial modem. It's this modem that doesn't have a suitable Linux driver available. As the device ID can be detected, the theory is that it should be possible write a suitable driver. I don't really have the coding skills to do that, but have bash at it from time to time.

Eric - G6FGY
I can't believe Windows has a built in driver for it while Linux doesn't. Usually Linux has drivers for all sorts of things built in while on Windows you need to download and install an actual driver (not just a text file) to make them work.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

g6fgy

Premium Subscriber
I can't believe Windows has a built in driver for it while Linux doesn't. Usually Linux has drivers for all sorts of things built in while on Windows you need to download and install an actual driver (not just a text file) to make them work.
Linux has drivers available because they are generally written for supported products or the most popular & generic devices. Unfortunately, Whistler does not (yet) completely fall into either category. After all, the card reader works with no problem...

Chronic

Any chance in the future there will be something similar for the Pro-651 / Pro-652 scanners they should be somewhat similar .

BrianG61UK

Linux has drivers available because they are generally written for supported products or the most popular & generic devices. Unfortunately, Whistler does not (yet) completely fall into either category. After all, the card reader works with no problem...
But you're not responding to my main point. If Windows has drivers for it build in, and it does, how can it possibly be that Linux doesn't? Why would Windows have a driver for something so obscure that Linux doesn't know about it?

Last edited:

visegrip72

Any chance in the future there will be something similar for the Pro-651 / Pro-652 scanners they should be somewhat similar .

I'm pretty sure from looking Win500 is used for programming the Pro-651 / Pro-652. If so, you can use Starrsoft's Win500 & my Win500a Android Client to do exactly what this suite does. That (Win500a Android) was the original software I wrote.

visegrip72

So today was the first day of school in the area and I tuned in the local bus system which is LTR. I noticed that the logging was only doing the first broadcast and that was it. Future calls on the same system would not log until something else broadcast first. The logic for logging and identifying new calls needed improvement. I only have LTR, Motorola, P25, and (of course) conventional systems here. If anyone has other style systems, let me know if the logging is not working properly so it can be corrected. I also cleaned up the logging to remove the zero-frequency logs. This update is not out yet, but addressed.

On a side note, either they updated the main P25 system locally, or the DSP level (or both) made a huge difference . The one P25 system is simulcast and I would get garbled digital from it, barely legible, but sometimes ok. When I drove South away from most of the system, it would be perfect. Now, it is great. So much clearer on the P25. I can listen without being totally annoyed and frustrated.

visegrip72

A minor update to the server has been released. I added a limit for the display log. If you leave the server running for days, it will slowly eat up memory, as expected, filling the display log. This limit prevents the display from using up memory. The amount of memory used is minimal, but for others that may leave their machines on for weeks at a time, it could add up. My guess is it would do no harm, but be safe. There also were a few improvement to the logging. I removed any of the zero frequency logs & improved logging for LTR systems as previously mentioned.

There was no update to the Android client, so you can leave that as is.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Been running this for several months now, and can report no issues or problems at all with the server or client. Sound quality is MUCH improved from the Win500 version, due to some mods vise did to the server side. :-D

Paul

visegrip72

Can the scanner itself be controlled from the app?

YES! That is the main point of the app. You put the scanner on your desk hooked up to your computer. Run the server on your computer. Launch the app on your phone from anywhere and listen AND control your scanner from anywhere. I have one user with an impressive antenna setup who loves being able to get the great reception from that antenna anywhere he goes, stores, basement, etc. The desktop server can also control the scanner, as well as have the scanner's audio go through the desktop speakers.

You can download and use the software to try it out.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
If I had a space ship, with internet connection, I could operate and control every button on my scanner with full display from the freaking moon...or Mars. :-D

Paul

Chronic

If there was a stand alone solution for the pro-651 /652 radios I would buy it tomorrow. But as I understand it , I would have to buy another programming software and then also buy the mobile client. I am currently using arc500 . is there a solution besides buying win 500 and the mobile client ?

visegrip72

If there was a stand alone solution for the pro-651 /652 radios I would buy it tomorrow. But as I understand it , I would have to buy another programming software and then also buy the mobile client. I am currently using arc500 . is there a solution besides buying win 500 and the mobile client ?

For a dedicated app, yes, you would need the other software for those scanners. However, there are other alternatives, such as Teamviewer and others where you can control the your computer, which controls the scanner. That is if arc500 can control the scanner as well. Here's the thread about the software for those scanners.

Status
Not open for further replies.