Trying to get into SkyWarn

Status
Not open for further replies.

n5ims

Most of the SkyWarn activities are in the spring, with training generally late winter or early spring. If you back up one page from the link you provided (NWS Jacksonville, FL [Skywarnâ), they list some training classes, which may be the best way to start out.

I notice that your link is for the JAX NWS office. There's also one for Tallahassee at TAE Spotter Information which may be easier for you to get to. They appear to have an on-line class on 11/8 that may also be a good place to start out. You may also try contacting one of the ham clubs in your area or check in to a local ARES or SkyWarn net if they have one.

Arizona_Scanner

Premium Subscriber
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't these the guys who put all of the lights on their vehicles and try to act like they are cops of some sort? There are a bunch of them back where my family lives in Indiana and they try to direct traffic, go speeding down roads with their strobe lights one, and do other things the cops frown on. Some of them even have uniforms and ranks. My father gets a laugh out of them.

Raptor05121

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't these the guys who put all of the lights on their vehicles and try to act like they are cops of some sort? There are a bunch of them back where my family lives in Indiana and they try to direct traffic, go speeding down roads with their strobe lights one, and do other things the cops frown on. Some of them even have uniforms and ranks. My father gets a laugh out of them.

SkyWarn is when you sit in your house and call people on the radio if you see dangerous weather (tornadoes, hail, etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.