Trying To Get Started

Status
Not open for further replies.

W2NJS

Joel,

You do not need that fancy aftermarket microphone. Just use the mic that comes with the radio for now and stick to learning the basics of the whole ham world. There's time enough in the future to get into fancy extras that are entirely optional. You'll learn tons of useful information by hanging out with other hams and you'll shorten your learning curve by a huge amount of time.

W5JER

AR is very addicting. For me anyway. I read the part where you said the UPS truck wont be showing up twice a week to deliver your toys. This is something I have an issue with haha. Always wanting more toys and gadgets to try and make my setup more attractive or appealing. I love my toys and it's almost like a disease!

Moderation is something I need to work on. It would be different if I was jobless and had no income but when the money is going ok, it's only good for one!

I have this PSU http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-003728

It's nice looking, has a meter and is pretty cheap. I know alot of people who use this PSU. I run a IC-7000 and a Cobra 29 LX CB Radio off of it without any drops. Never simultaneously though.

Welcome to the hobby and no question is ever a stupid question! :) No one ever got any smarter by not asking questions.

Last edited:

05WideGuy

Premium Subscriber
Hi everyone, I'm still working on it, I am taking a five week course at the local Ham club, last class this Tuesday and test the next Wednesday. After all my research here is my shopping list:

1. YAESU FT 7900R. $305.00. Ham Radio Outlet. Free Shipping.

2. ALINCO DM-330MVT Power Supply. $159.00 Ham Radio Outlet Free Shipping.

3. ARROW OSJ 146/440 Antenna. $39.00. Arrow Antennas $12.00 Shipping.

4. CABL XPERTS RG-8/U W PL259 Installed Cable Assembly, 50' $59.00

5. YAESU ADS-7900 FT-7900R PROGRAM SOFTWARE W USB CABLE $39.00

I will be ordering everything from Ham Radio Outlet, their prices seem to be reasonable and shipping is free. I am wondering about the FT-7900 Speaker, I have a little trouble with hearing, is the speaker adequate or should I get an auxiliary speaker?

Thanks to everyone for your input

Joel

LtDoc

I think I would wait and see how the internal speaker works for you. If it isn't quite 'enough', then invest in an external speaker. I've never had that particular radio but I have had one similar in the car. I did add an external speaker to it, also because of my 'abused' ears. I tend to use external speakers on most everything, simply because I can 'point' them at me and my 'abused' ears. I also don't particularly need a 'brand-name' speaker. If it works, then I can write whatever name on it I want.
- 'Doc

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
1. YAESU FT 7900R. $305.00. Ham Radio Outlet. Free Shipping.
I'd suggest stepping up to a true dual-band radio such as the Kenwood TM-V71A or Yaesu FT-8800R. The 7900 is a one-band-at-a-time radio.

2. ALINCO DM-330MVT Power Supply. $159.00 Ham Radio Outlet Free Shipping.
Kinda pricey, though it does have some nice features. If all you will be powering is a dual-band mobile, you won't need 30 amps--20 amps will be plenty. Take a look at the Astron SS-30, Astron SS-25M, or Astron SS-25.

4. CABL XPERTS RG-8/U W PL259 Installed Cable Assembly, 50' $59.00
Since you are buying a 2m/440 radio, you should consider something better than RG-8 coax. Take a look at Andrew CNT-400 also available from Cable Xperts.

davedaver1

Premium Subscriber
5. YAESU ADS-7900 FT-7900R PROGRAM SOFTWARE W USB CABLE $39.00

I would strongly suggest software for your Yaesu from G4HFQ:

G4HFQ Software - FTB7900

I use his packages for all of my Yaesu radios. I like it much better than any other software especially for it's ability to use .csv format to interchange. You can get a cable from many sources (his site has a link to some).

05WideGuy

Premium Subscriber
I would strongly suggest software for your Yaesu from G4HFQ:

G4HFQ Software - FTB7900

I use his packages for all of my Yaesu radios. I like it much better than any other software especially for it's ability to use .csv format to interchange. You can get a cable from many sources (his site has a link to some).

Which one is more user friendly? this is my first Ham and I am looking for the most user friendly product, so I chose the one suggested by the manufacture.

05WideGuy

Premium Subscriber
I'd suggest stepping up to a true dual-band radio such as the Kenwood TM-V71A or Yaesu FT-8800R. The 7900 is a one-band-at-a-time radio.

Kinda pricey, though it does have some nice features. If all you will be powering is a dual-band mobile, you won't need 30 amps--20 amps will be plenty. Take a look at the Astron SS-30, Astron SS-25M, or Astron SS-25.

Since you are buying a 2m/440 radio, you should consider something better than RG-8 coax. Take a look at Andrew CNT-400 also available from Cable Xperts.

I chose the 7900 because at this time I don't have a need for a true duel band, and wouldn't even know how to use it. the 7900 seemed to be the most bang for the buck and user friendly.

The ALINCO PS is a little pricey but it has a lot of positive reviews and looks cool, and down the road I hope to use the extra amps with other radios.

As far as the coax goes, your probably right, I will look at changing my choice. At 50 feet is there really that much power loss?

AK9R

Super Moderator
True dual-band VHF/UHF mobiles give you the ability to listen to two frequencies at the same time. Most of them will receive VHF/UHF or VHF/VHF or UHF/UHF. This expands your listening abilities quite a bit.

Power loss in the coax on transmit isn't as much of an issue as signal loss on receive. On UHF, 50 feet of the RG8/U will have a loss of 1.65 dB while 50 feet of the CNT-400 will have a loss of 1.35 dB. It doesn't seem like much in terms of the numbers, but it might make the difference between hearing a distant repeater or not.

Danny37

If your starting out I think you should def get a dual band ht like a ft-60r to get you started. You can one for $150 on antenna farm brand new. You'll have 5 watts and 144/440 capabilities plus wide band rx for scanning. Only downside is that it doesn't do the 6.25 step for the new narrowbanding. So it might be useless in the scanning if everything went narrowband where you are. However ham isn't affected by this. But def a dual band ht will be your best bet until you familiarize yourself with ham than you can upgrade to a base rig but its going to cost alot more. If you look on the other threads on here, I'm also in the process of getting my ticket. Good luck to you bud!

05WideGuy

Premium Subscriber
If your starting out I think you should def get a dual band ht like a ft-60r to get you started. You can one for $150 on antenna farm brand new. You'll have 5 watts and 144/440 capabilities plus wide band rx for scanning. Only downside is that it doesn't do the 6.25 step for the new narrowbanding. So it might be useless in the scanning if everything went narrowband where you are. However ham isn't affected by this. But def a dual band ht will be your best bet until you familiarize yourself with ham than you can upgrade to a base rig but its going to cost alot more. If you look on the other threads on here, I'm also in the process of getting my ticket. Good luck to you bud!

Danny, I do plan on getting an HT down the road but not as my first radio. I have ready in several places that an HT is not the ideal choice for a first radio, although I have also read in a few places that an HT might be a good first choice.

05WideGuy

Premium Subscriber
I'd like to hear from every one if you might pick a different rig other than the FT-7900 and keep it in the same price range.

KD0USR

Hey Joel!

Welcome to the madness, and good luck on your test!

I just got my ticket last week, I used the 'HamTest Online' courses, and took my Tech and General on the same night.

And as they say, "Now the real learning begins"!

Glad you started this thread, as it's answering a lot of my questions!

HB

KD0USR

AK9R

Super Moderator
Among dual-band mobiles, your choices in the new market are (AES prices):

Alinco DR-635T -- $330 -- I know guys who have been very satisfied with their Alinco mobiles. Alinco is just a tad outside the Icom/Kenwood/Yaesu mainstream. They are marketed and serviced in the U.S. by GRE America.

Icom IC-208H -- $350 -- single-band-at-a-time

Icom IC-2820H -- $640 -- way outside your price range

Kenwood TM-D710A -- $530 -- built-in APRS and packet TNC, outside your price range

Kenwood TM-V71A -- $380 -- true dual band, good radio, I have one.

Yaesu FT-7900R -- $340 -- single-band-at-a-time, $20 mail-in rebate brings the price down to $320

Yaesu FT-8800R -- $470 -- true dual band, $70 mail-in rebate brings the price down to $400. I know a few local hams who have this radio and they are happy with it.

Yaesu FTM-10R -- single-band-at-a-time, $370

Yaesu FTM-350AR -- $600 -- true dual band, APRS functions though not as capable as the Kenwood TM-D710A, $40 mail-in rebate

05WideGuy

Premium Subscriber
Among dual-band mobiles, your choices in the new market are (AES prices):

Alinco DR-635T -- $330 -- I know guys who have been very satisfied with their Alinco mobiles. Alinco is just a tad outside the Icom/Kenwood/Yaesu mainstream. They are marketed and serviced in the U.S. by GRE America.

Icom IC-208H -- $350 -- single-band-at-a-time

Icom IC-2820H -- $640 -- way outside your price range

Kenwood TM-D710A -- $530 -- built-in APRS and packet TNC, outside your price range

Kenwood TM-V71A -- $380 -- true dual band, good radio, I have one.

Yaesu FT-7900R -- $340 -- single-band-at-a-time, $20 mail-in rebate brings the price down to $320

Yaesu FT-8800R -- $470 -- true dual band, $70 mail-in rebate brings the price down to $400. I know a few local hams who have this radio and they are happy with it.

Yaesu FTM-10R -- single-band-at-a-time, $370

Yaesu FTM-350AR -- $600 -- true dual band, APRS functions though not as capable as the Kenwood TM-D710A, $40 mail-in rebate

HRO has the FT-7900R for $329.95 minus $20 rebate $305. I haven't read anything negative about this radio other than the true dual band.

rapidcharger

Oh if you're looking for a dual band, the Kenwood v-71a is hands down the best you're going to find for the money.
The lowest price I ever saw on one was $355 a couple weeks ago at gigaparts when it was on sale with free shipping. I bought two of them since they came out and I paid $369 for them.

Much easier to use than any yazzu. Free programming software from kenwood. It does cross band repeat.

Status
Not open for further replies.