Two quick questions on programing TRX-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

daggit

My TRX-1 hasn't arrived yet (hopefully will arrive today) but getting ready to use ez-scan to set up my scan lists. I was torn as to put these questions in the software forum or here but my first question I think pertains more to the TRX-1 then software. First I chose to do a wildcard on import talks groups wondering if I should also do a radio ID wild card on import too. Second can I edit Alpha tags on ez-scan in the program or do I need to use excel? Thanks.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Yes, you can edit alpha tags on EZ Scan. I usually do my editing with Excel where I can arrange the order, edit alpha tags and assign scan lists. Once done, I import the csv text file. Incidentally, what is your city, county, and state, and which agencies do you want to monitor. I'll look it up in the database and see if I can give you a hand with the programming.

daggit

Thanks tvengr. I think most of what I want is Analog. I saw a pretty good hour and a half Youtube video on Ez-scan and Whistler radios. I used to have a WS1065. I may be wrong but I'm thinking you can't put trunking sites in the same scan lists as Analog . By the way I just moved to Ventura Ca and mostly want to listen to Ventura County. I think I have the programing down ( I think) just may need advice on how to organize the stuff. Thanks for your time and any help and advice you can provide would be appreciated.

tvengr

Well Known Member
It looks like Ventura Co is all conventional frequencies. I don't know any reason why you couldn't mix trunked systems and conventional frequencies in the same scan list; however, it is probably better to keep them separated for better control. You organize the scan lists by the way you want to control your monitoring. You can place similar frequencies or talkgroups, such as sheriff, police, fire, ems, hospitals, public works, etc, in separate scan lists so you can select exactly what you want to monitor. You can also place different jurisdictions in separate scan lists. Programming trunked systems can get a little more complicated.

daggit

ok thanks one other question. I know your only supposed to put the control channel in trunk systems but do those control channels ever change? Many years ago when Trunking came out I read that control channels can change at times. Sorry if I'm sounding stupid. I'm talking about what I read when they first came out over 20 years ago

tvengr

Well Known Member
When you look at a trunked system in the database, you will see the frequencies in each site. The control channel is red and the alternates are blue. Normally, the control channel and alternates are all you need to enter. The control channel may change to an alternate once in a while if there is work being done or experiencing interference. If you see all of the frequencies in a site are red or a combination of red and blue, that most likely is a Harris system where the control channel will rotate though all of the frequencies. In a Harris system, every frequency must be entered.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
ok thanks one other question. I know your only supposed to put the control channel in trunk systems but do those control channels ever change?

Trunking channels do change, for many different reasons, from time to time. It is best to program in the CC and Alt CC channels, but you do not need the voice channels.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
By the way I just moved to Ventura Ca and mostly want to listen to Ventura County.

While @tvengr is correct that the database shows many conventional channels, it also shows VENTURA COUNTY P25 Phase 2 system at the bottom of the page. Currently there is no talkgroups listed for it. I would suggest programming that in as well (with wildcards in Talkgroups and Radios) and see if you can hear anything and start building the database, especially if you aren't hearing traffic on the conventional channels.

You can mix conventional and trunked talkgroups in the same scanlist, I have that same configuration in a few of my scanlists. Typically for my state and county trunked system, I like to have one scan list with everything available (sites and talkgroups), then I have separtate scanlists based by groups (Fire, City Police, Sheriff, Medical Helos, Event TGs, Etc). For my state system I also have a separate system/scanlist for my local towers with talkgroups I don't monitor as much omitted). Finally, I have another scan list with most listened to traffic which is a mix of systems, talkgroups and conventional freqs.

Status
Not open for further replies.