Two Union County Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
Not sure how I forgot to post this when it happened, but things have been kind of crazy on both sides of the border. Sooo...

Berkeley Heights Rescue Squad officially made the switch to County 2400 Dispatch. All dispatch and operations will henceforth be on the County Local EMS Dispatch, 460.100. The low-band and two UHF frequencies will no longer be used.

Also, Cranford Volunteer EMS will now be using their County rig ID's of EMS 375 and EMS 376 full time rather than Cranford FA-2 and Cranford FA-3. The FD will continue to use their Department ID's of Cranford EMS-1 (County ID: 371), EMS-2 (County ID: 372), and EMS-3 (County ID: 373).

Changes sent to the appropriate admin, and noted in the Wiki.

Last edited:

rr60

Premium Subscriber
I heard Friday morning quite a bit if testing, Berkeley Heights Fire on UC NJICS. Two tone paging on FD Dispatch and Comm’s on one of the ops TG’s.

RadioDitch

Premium Subscriber
I heard Friday morning quite a bit if testing, Berkeley Heights Fire on UC NJICS. Two tone paging on FD Dispatch and Comm’s on one of the ops TG’s.

Yup, they're going. Not sure of the date yet. But soon enough.

RadioDitch

Premium Subscriber
Cranford FAS tones have changed. The Plectron set has been dropped in favor of a Motorola pair of 1063.2/1285.8.

rr60

Premium Subscriber
I listened to 3 calls in 20 minutes from Berkeley Heights today. It appears to me the FD is now being dispatched by 2400 and it sounded like the 2400 dispatcher was handling the entire run. Also noted BH tones on NJICS Site 7 Union County Fire Dispatch TG and multicast 453.950. Operations remain on the existing UHF repeater.

On a separate note I believe I will build a Zone on the G5 as plenty of Union County two tone paging on the paging TG. This will cover a number of departments without having to listen to runs unless something is of interest.

RadioDitch

Premium Subscriber
I listened to 3 calls in 20 minutes from Berkeley Heights today. It appears to me the FD is now being dispatched by 2400 and it sounded like the 2400 dispatcher was handling the entire run. Also noted BH tones on NJICS Site 7 Union County Fire Dispatch TG and multicast 453.950. Operations remain on the existing UHF repeater.

On a separate note I believe I will build a Zone on the G5 as plenty of Union County two tone paging on the paging TG. This will cover a number of departments without having to listen to runs unless something is of interest.

Correct, that started this week. BH declined a trunked fireground for the time being. As to your G5 codeplug, just be aware that several agencies tones are changing. Among those is/was Cranford FD who will be utilizing new duty tones as of 18:30. They already tested them this afternoon. No more classic Plectron drop.

RadioDitch

Premium Subscriber
Union County Clean-Up was submitted and completed by our awesome admin. Should be neat, orderly, and to a uniform standard now.

And the Wiki was updated.

Last edited:

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Berkley Heights EMS still using 460.3875 PL 114.8 anymore ? I didn't see it in the database.

453.950 PL 85.4 is Springfield Fire. It's listed under Union County. Is Union County multicasting every tone out on Springfield's UHF channel now?

RadioDitch

Premium Subscriber
Berkley Heights EMS still using 460.3875 PL 114.8 anymore ? I didn't see it in the database.

453.950 PL 85.4 is Springfield Fire. It's listed under Union County. Is Union County multicasting every tone out on Springfield's UHF channel now?

No. Berkeley Heights EMS switched to Union County 2400 Dispatch utilizing 460.100.

Yes, 453.950 is now the Union County Fire Dispatch Multicast/Patch. Has been for quite a while now since Springfield switched to the County on the NJICS. The Union County comms plan has the system set-up to be accessible by multiple selectable or dedicated paths at any time, with the ability to patch absolutely anything to anything from the console.

True interop on display.

Last edited:

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Union County has alwasy been ahead of the curve. Best move they did was hopping on the State Core and building their own simulcast off it. I'm surprised Berkley Heights didn't grab a trunked fireground like the others. I would like to see combining more agencies together on the fireground talkgroups grographically though, instead of giving everyone their own. They could combine them easily with Springfield. I'm speculating as more users switch this could be done. Heck, Morris is up to 8 Fire Respone channels now, imagine if each had their own.

rr60

Premium Subscriber
I am abandoning thought of two tone TG decode of the Dispatch TG. I am surprised at how many variables or combination of tones on this TG or that TG. It is clearly not unified. Going with a dedicated zone with all UC Fire TG’s. Amazing the console and communicator can deal with all the variables. Whew.

Analogrules

Just this afternoon, RP FD was on their analog frequency full time still. Not sure why the DB has it listed as a (fallback), if still simulcasted on analog full time.

RadioDitch

Premium Subscriber
Union County has alwasy been ahead of the curve. Best move they did was hopping on the State Core and building their own simulcast off it. I'm surprised Berkley Heights didn't grab a trunked fireground like the others. I would like to see combining more agencies together on the fireground talkgroups grographically though, instead of giving everyone their own. They could combine them easily with Springfield. I'm speculating as more users switch this could be done. Heck, Morris is up to 8 Fire Respone channels now, imagine if each had their own.

It was weird how it happened. Union County didn't really join the state core, it was kind of a mutual conclusion. Union County was about to build out a 700MHz P25 system anyway with EDACS support ending, aspiration of centralized communications, and technology advancing. A P25 system with all the bells, whistles, and computer controls was also really the only way to achieve the "anything, anywhere, anytime" patch ability County wanted. It was mutually beneficial because the state benefited off the cost savings of not having to build out coverage in the area, and Union County benefited off gaining statewide interop ability without relinquishing control of the system and certain grants.

In terms of the firegrounds, you also have to look at the difference in size of the operation. Morris County has 39 municipalities, several with multiple independent fire companies. Union County only has 20 municipalities, each with a single fire department. Of those, 5 will always be self-dispatched, and two are part of a separate communications alliance (Mountain Valley).

So, in reality, you only have 13 departments for County. Of those Scotch Plains & Fanwood basically count as one, and Winfield doesn't really count at all with their automatic coverage from Linden. And that's IF they all realize resistance is futile (and it is). Plus the UCFMA talkgroup/channel is a proven method of interop and coordination when stuff hits the fan, and if the UCFMA repeater failed, 2400 could just patch whatever combination you could dream of.

So for the time being it works. I really don't see it becoming an issue any time soon, especially with 12 firegrounds already allotted.

Amazing the console and communicator can deal with all the variables. Whew.

Not much changes ever really, just the ability is there. But yeah, it's pretty advanced. Comms/Ops takes up almost the entire first floor of the Freolich Building. We're just lucky to have some of the best dispatchers out there back home.

P.S. I SUCK at proof-reading tonight. Ouef.

Last edited:

Analogrules

Sadly, it seems Roselle Pk FD has now moved to NJICS full time too. Today was the first day their frequency went silent, except for some open mic keyups. I also do not think they are dispatched on 453.950 either. I haven't heard them at least on there. Can someone list the towns that are dispatched on 453.950? I have only heard Hillside and Springfield FD dispatched on there so far.

RadioDitch

Premium Subscriber
Sadly, it seems Roselle Pk FD has now moved to NJICS full time too. Today was the first day their frequency went silent, except for some open mic keyups. I also do not think they are dispatched on 453.950 either. I haven't heard them at least on there. Can someone list the towns that are dispatched on 453.950? I have only heard Hillside and Springfield FD dispatched on there so far.

453.950 is a direct multicast of the Union County Fire Dispatch talkgroup. It's not selective. Everything that gets toned out on UC Fire Dispatch will be heard there. Cranford's, Roselle Park's, Scotch Plains', Hillside's, Springfield's and Rahway's tones have all came over just fine all day, and have been for quite some time.

Analogrules

Oh ok. Therefore you are saying specifically the towns you listed above are always toned out/dispatched on 453.950? I am assuming Union Twp ( for example) is not though?

rr60

Premium Subscriber
Yes that is what RadioDitch said.There are many departments that are paged on their own TG.However TG 4443 has several. They are as stated,multicast. Spend two days on the system and you will see what is where. This was collected in a day.

NJICS U/C Fire Disp TG 4443 Site 7
Berkeley Heights 726-1185
Cranford Fire 879-788
Hillside Fire 1122-1153
Rahway BLS 928-1733
Scotch Plains FD 1092-1063
Springfield 1AL 601-727
Springfield Fire 601-903
Summit Fire 1321-1687

rr60

Premium Subscriber
Apparently the BH FD was 1st to go 2400 Comm Center. I notice the BH PD are now w 2400 for routine Comm’s and 911. More consolidation. Can’t help but notice runs on the 78/24 mixing bowl are much smoother and information flowing very quickly.

RadioDitch

Premium Subscriber
Apparently the BH FD was 1st to go 2400 Comm Center. I notice the BH PD are now w 2400 for routine Comm’s and 911. More consolidation. Can’t help but notice runs on the 78/24 mixing bowl are much smoother and information flowing very quickly.

Centralizing communications to County in Westfield is the best decision anyone could make. The proof is there...it works. One dispatcher handling Springfield, Summit, and Berkeley Heights Fire at the same time instantly ends the chaos and confusion of coordinating that pain in the ____ highway response.

Status
Not open for further replies.