• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TYT TH7800 - CTCSS & DCS doesn't work if the TX power in above MID1

Status
Not open for further replies.

toups

Hi all,
I'd like to share my experience with this tranceiver.
Fisrt I wanted to have a cross band repeater for good price and it does the job nicely.
I mainly using this tranceiver on UHF without any issues even if I think that the mic gain should be improved (you really have to talk close to the mic).

I noticed one really strange thing (probably a bug) when the CTCSS or DCS is setup it's working fine until you don't use the TX power above MID2 (remember that it's LOW/MID2/MID1 and HIGH).
So whe the power is MID1 or HIGH the CTCSS or DCS doesn't work anymore...
My first idea was that I was to close from the TH7800 with my pocket MD390, so I went at 1Km away and noticed the same issue.

hoping that my explanation is clear and I'm curious to hear if I'm missing something or if someone got the same problem as well.
PS I never found a way to setup DCS frequency on the TH7800 menu (so only did it via the PC).

73'

W6KX

Toups,

I have Baofeng portables and TH-7800 mobiles to use on a UHF repeater with DCS codes. The portables are working O.K. after an easy setup but cannot get the TH-7800 mobiles to open the repeater. The DCS codes were checked on a service monitor (At low power however) and reversed the DCS polarities with no success.

Interesting you found the power level may affect the CTCSS/DCS operation and will investigate this as a possible cause.

Did you find a solution to your problem and if not, I will report back with further observations. I am sure my CTCSS is working O.K. at high power on VHF repeaters but don’t use DCS. Until now have not used UHF other than to listen.

73, Mike

FKimble

Sounds like the deviation is getting out of spec with the higher power outputs. Put it on a service monitor to know for sure.

Frank KK4YTM

toups

thx all for your comment.
I never found any solution which is really anoying as I like to use CTCSS/DCS to avoid to play with the squelch when crossing some noisy areas during multiple cars trip.

If someone have the same experience or even better, a solution, i would be more that happy.

73's

W6KX

Definitely something to this.

A second look with the service monitor showed a relatively clean low frequency digital waveform ≈ ± 0.7Khz deviation. Did not see any notable differences at various power levels. Then confirmed the TH-7800 using DCS encode will trip the repeater on LOW, MID 2, MID 1, but not HIGH power setting. I have two TH-7800 which behave the same.

Unlike toups I do not have a problem with CTCSS at any power level at least on any of the repeaters I use.

Will scrutinize the DCS encode in more detail on the service monitor and report when I can. In the mean time I will use lower power as I should to hit the repeater with adequate quieting.

Above observations relate to UHF in that I use no VHF repeaters with DCS. CTCSS on UHF & VHF seems to work fine at all power levels.

toups

Thx W6KX for your feed back.

I never got any answer from TYT.
just to understand if a firmware upgrade couldbe possible and would bring any fix...

Sad to realize that the support is not reactive.

Rgds

Status
Not open for further replies.