UCAN "Lock Down" ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Utah_Viper

I have heard all the PD and Vecc PD on the UCAN System in Salt Lake County went to "Lock Down" mode. Apparently UCAN is doing some work on the system. I am still Recieving some traffic but it seams scattered. VECC Fire was talking for a moment that it was suppose to be at midnight and are now scarambling to get everyone on "Lock Down" So does anyone know what happens when UCAN goes down? Do they revert to the old VHF frequencies? Change to a differnt UCAN tower? Any Ideas?

fodbuster

Every UCAN radio has a "lockdown" TG that is switched to. They are programmed in the same place on every radio, so that "supposedly" they can still communicate. Apparently, not everyone got the memo last night about the system work. The way I understand it is when you go to a lockdown channel, you go to direct mode, if line of sight, or a specific repeater locks to a specific talk group e.g. VECC fire, WVCPD, SOSLPD, etc. I could be wrong though, but someone is going to be in deep kimchee over that mess last night.

gcr33

It is not lockdown. The correct term is failsoft. That sends a radio to a preprogrammed frequency which may be shared by others. When a Motorola system is in failsoft you will hear a beep every 10 or so seconds. The radios if programmed as such will display failsoft.

LGLHOOK

Actually GCR,
last night they were telling all the units to go to their "lockdown zones and channels". Everyone was saying that their radios were saying "side trunking" on the display. The field units could talk to each other but had no communications with dispatch. There were no beeps on this particular incident, but in the past when the radios have gone down in the middle of the day, there were beeps every 10 seconds like you say.

Junior1970

As per what I heard UCAN was doing some upgrades thus pulling down the radios last night to do so. They pulled the radios down again at Midnight for about 45 minutes then told their users to switch back after. As of now (2:15 AM) everythings fine.

PJH

Premium Subscriber
LGLHOOK said:
Actually GCR,
last night they were telling all the units to go to their "lockdown zones and channels". Everyone was saying that their radios were saying "side trunking" on the display. The field units could talk to each other but had no communications with dispatch. There were no beeps on this particular incident, but in the past when the radios have gone down in the middle of the day, there were beeps every 10 seconds like you say.

Resurrecting an old post...

That would actually be "Site Trunking". This occurs when the Zone controller is offline or when the link between the site and the prime site goes down.

If programmed, the radios can be "locked" to a site by pressing a key on the radio. This keeps the radios locked on so it doesn't go roaming to another site. Site trunking allows for "normal" operations - but only for those radios affiated to that site. Since the link between sites are down, you cannot talk to other radios on other sites.

Has UCAN truley gone statewide yet? I couldn't find a good link on the UT website.

bneilson

Premium Subscriber
Several agencies are doing "lockdown" tests today.

They get everybody to switch to lockdown and then they do a roll call.

I still dont understand this and Unitrunker is not showing anything out of the norm.

Status
Not open for further replies.