• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

UHF trunking Guru needed! P25 Federal system

Status
Not open for further replies.

wmbio

Hi All,

I have a new P25 federal prison system that has came on line in Cumberland, Md Here are the details I have so far...http://www.radioreference.com/modules.php?name=RR&sid=4236

I have a pro 96 and can not get this UHF system to trunk using any of the standard off sets and base freq configurations. It seems when using the contol channel only and set for MO and the trunk set for MO the contol channel sends the scanner to the wrong recieve freq and there is no audio or carrier there. I can see all of the user ID numbers but until I get the radio to trunk properly I am not quick enough to identify the user.

I need a UHF trunking GURU who can help analize the data provided and assist with helping set this system up to trunk. I will be willing to try anything suggested, I am not a novice and have 800 mhz trunking very well on several systems.

This system is a M3600 bd non encrypted P25 system.

Thanks for the help in advance.
Wmbio

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
I'm guessing you can't run Trunker or any of its variants? (And you are programming correctly for 'Table' in the Prog-trunk mode right? Func-2 I think is the keystroke.)

If not, and no one else can, then you are slightly SOL. What you can do is when trunking the system open the squelch completely in hopes that it will delay the display of the voice frequency. If it's a single range system, and you know the correct voice freq, note the difference in voice frequency and change the base freq respectively.

-Wayne

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Based on the system and the information provided, what is needed here is for you to to run Trunker on the system. What is needed is a couple of the HEX Channel numbers to match up with the frequencies that you have there. Knowing even one of the Hex values will allow a good guess. With out that, you are basically lost. A guess, only guesswork here, would be:
Base 406.000, Offset 17c, Spacing 12.5k

Edit: I see Wayne was replying the same time as I was. That no squelch idea might work.

Last edited:

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
There are too many variables to use much guess work. However, if a HEX value of any of the duty CC's is available, the guess work could be nearly eliminated. A tapped scanner and wtrunk will deliver the HEX of all 4 CC's plus the rest of the voice channels.

BTW, what wrong freqs are displayed ?

I assume you've tried 407.0000, 380 and 25.0.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
fmon said:
I assume you've tried 407.0000, 380 and 25.0.
The two frequencies 407.0125 and 408.2500 dictate a spacing of 12.5 K; 25.0 K won't work. And the 409.0125 precludes the smaller 6.25 K spacing. (All assuming a single set of values as opposed to a multi-table setup.)

ChrisP

Premium Subscriber
wmbio said:
Hi All,
It seems when using the contol channel only and set for MO and the trunk set for MO the contol channel sends the scanner to the wrong recieve freq and there is no audio or carrier there. I can see all of the user ID numbers but until I get the radio to trunk properly I am not quick enough to identify the user.

You won't be able to use Control Channel Only on a UHF system like this one.

Most of the newer Bureau of Prisons UHF systems seem to be using the lowest frequency as the base, so use:

Base - 407.0125
Step - 12.5
Offset - 380

See what happens with these...

Also, don't forget to select the "Custom Table" setting on the PRO-96. Lot's of folks program the table setting and then forget to select that!

- Chris

jhooten

I just bought a 2096 and put one of the federal prisons systems in using the instructions in the manual for OBT. It didn't work. Downloaded WIN96 and read the radio. The manual programming, as per the instructions, did not turn on the custom table as it should have. Turned on the custom table in WIN96 and now it works fine.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
ChrisP said:
You won't be able to use Control Channel Only on a UHF system like this one. ...
Umm, why? What do you base this on? Remember, the Pro-96/2096 is a CCh Only scanner. Putting any more channels in doesn't change that.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
jhooten said:
I just bought a 2096 and put one of the federal prisons systems in using the instructions in the manual for OBT. It didn't work. Downloaded WIN96 and read the radio. The manual programming, as per the instructions, did not turn on the custom table as it should have. Turned on the custom table in WIN96 and now it works fine.
I have never had any trouble using the keypad to set up any single Base/Offset/Spacing custom table setup for VHF/UHF systems, either 9600 or 3600 systems. Now a system that uses the Multi-Table does require software to set but other than that I have always been able to do it with the keypad.

ChrisP

Premium Subscriber
loumaag said:
Umm, why? What do you base this on? Remember, the Pro-96/2096 is a CCh Only scanner. Putting any more channels in doesn't change that.

You are right, Lou. What I meant to say was you can't just put the control channel in and go. The VHF or UHF Motorola systems require more information to trunk track.

I think the UHF systems will work without a custom table if they are a 406 base, 25 step and 380 offset, but those are getting rare...

- Chris

wmbio

UHF trunk traker GURU needed

Hi Guys,

UPDATE: IT LOOKS LIKE I HAVE THIS SYSTEM TRUNKING NOW! ChrisP you nailed it. I will update the user ID's as soon as I can.

I do not have any fancy software for my 96 yet. And I do not have the ability to look at the hex of the CC's. with a tapped disc, trunker setup. I wish I did have this it would be easy then.

I have tried several of the offsets mentioned above but will try them ALL again tonight when I get home.

Yes I am setting the FN-2 to program the base and offsets and steps then setting FN-3 to custom table after I program the UHF offsets. Am I missing something here guys?

The 96 wants to go to channels that are about 1.1 mhz high of the actual transmitted frequency when in CC mode and trunking. I can see the ID numbers of the users on system in the display at that time, just unable to hear them with trunking on.

73's Wmbio

Last edited:

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
wmbio said:
...The 96 wants to go to channels that are about 1.1 mhz high of the actual transmitted frequency when in CC mode and trunking. I can see the ID numbers of the users on system in the display at that time, just unable to hear them with trunking on.
That would indicate the BASE frequency you are using is about 1.1 MHz too high. As I said, try 406.000 as a base. Again, I repeat, the Pro-96 is only a CCh Only scanner for Motorola and P25 systems. You cannot change that, there is no way of making it anything else. If you are tracking Moto system, you are in CCh mode.

wmbio

Got it, Thanks Guys!

Hi Guys,

IT LOOKS LIKE I HAVE THIS SYSTEM TRUNKING NOW! ChrisP you nailed it. I will update the user ID's as soon as I can.

Wmbio

mpdonala

Premium Subscriber
Help

Where are you getting the lowest freq from. I have both the CC's and I have alot of VC's and talk groups. I have tried the standard BASE, STEP, etc. I don't have the ability to get the hex info. Any ideas would help. Thanks Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.