DSDPlus Unable to download FastLane Update

w8jfj

Premium Subscriber
I have been a FastLane user for a three years (and still have my file un-zip password). It has been a while since I fired up DSDPLUS. I started it yesterday. Received a message that an update +448.zip was available. I responded yes to the download. I get a message the download has started then it fails. Environment is WIN 10 pro. No disk space issues.

screen prints attached

Any suggestions?

Thanks, John

Attachments

• Download Failed.JPG
    Download Failed.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 19
  • Downloads Available.JPG
    Downloads Available.JPG
    11.7 KB · Views: 20

w8jfj

Premium Subscriber
Who is your internet service provider? Try temporarily disabling firewall and/or antivirus and check for updates again
ISP is Spectrum. I have turned off firewall and virus protection. Tried the download again. Same result.

I also, yesterday, did go to the DSDPLUS web site. Unbale to see where I could manually download the updates. Their web site seems to be lacking a little.

w8jfj

Premium Subscriber
If your phone has mobile hotspot capability try connecting to it to run the update
Same result on phone. Also when going to the FastLane page web site and then clicking on download all I get is a black web page (both on mobile and desktop).

Anyone have a link to the fastlane downpage that is working?

PDXh0b0

Premium Subscriber
Your original email with the downlo link, change the version number to the current one

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Anyone have a link to the fastlane downpage that is working?

Updated FL versions are not available on the website, they are downloaded through the DSD program, not with a link.

I'm guessing you did have the lifetime and not yearly subscription to the FL version, otherwise maybe your subscription expired which is why you can't download.

w8jfj

Premium Subscriber
Your original email with the downlo link, change the version number to the current one
Thanks, that did work. The link grabbed the file and dropped into my downloads folder no issue. I knew I was saving all those old DSDPLUS emails for a reason. Also, bookmarked the link now.

Thanks again.

w8jfj

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, that did work. The link grabbed the file and dropped into my downloads folder no issue. I knew I was saving all those old DSDPLUS emails for a reason. Also, bookmarked the link now.

Thanks again.
So, now the next question. Trying to download the newest basefiles. I click on "download newest base files". The download says it has started and then get the message "DSD+ base files download failed". Is there a direct link to obtain the newest base files?

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
So, now the next question. Trying to download the newest basefiles. I click on "download newest base files". The download says it has started and then get the message "DSD+ base files download failed". Is there a direct link to obtain the newest base files?

Sounds like you need to figure out what is causing your issues, has to be something with your system or possibly email (which is linked to the subscription and downloads), rather than just finding a work around.

w8jfj

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like you need to figure out what is causing your issues, has to be something with your system or possibly email (which is linked to the subscription and downloads), rather than just a work around.
Thanks, I have been doing both as I have seen others report the same download issue. Yet they have not mentioned waht the solution was.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, I have been doing both as I have seen others report the same download issue. Yet they have not mentioned waht the solution was.
The issues in most posts previous with the issue were ISP and firewall/virus software related. You indicated you tried with the phone as a hot spot (hopefully over cellular not wifi otherwise you are on same ISP) and you turned off virus/firewall, but the problem continued. So, what has worked in the past, and is normally the issue, isn't working for you.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin

Does the actual machine that you have DSDPlus installed on actually have full internet connectivity? Thus far you've been able to reach the site via a web browser (but that could be on a different machine - you didn't say). Sounds like either the machine that you have DSDPlus installed on does not have full internet connectivity, or the router / Windows Firewall / antivirus software is not allowing it to make an outbound connection over TCP Port 80.

However, with that said, if your DSDPlus is able to bring up the dialog stating there is a new version, then it also has access to download that new version or the basefiles. I know this because in order to connect to check for updates it connects to www.dsdplus.com TCP 80. And that's the same hostname/port that it would connect to in order to actually download the updated version and/or basefiles.

I really suspect that it is actually downloading the files but then some sort of antivirus software is intercepting the download and quarantining it. Or, you have something in place to prevent you from accessing non-SSL websites.

Unfortunately, all DSDPlus version checks, update downloads and basefile downloads are done over port 80, no SSL.

M

w8jfj

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Mike, yes the WIN 10 machine with DSDPLUS has full internet access and has always worked just fine when new updates come out. This machine has been my primary receiver PC (BCB95XLT, Icon R1000, a couple of SDRPLAY units and a boatload of various RTLSDR dongles) alsong with other listening/monitoring software.

I did turn off Norton antivirus and Firewall yesterday. Still not luck. Also, there were no log entries in Norton about blocking any traffic. Last night it dawned on me that the only network changes in the last year was an upgrade to all Ubiquiti network gear for my network. This morning I look in the Security Detections log and there were some outbound blocks to 209.240.30.50 which is DSDPLUS. For grins I tried the download of the base files from the app first thing today and it worked. I had not changed anything in my Unifi configuration yet. I also received and update message that DSDPLUS2p457 was available. I let the download start and it completed just fine (like the old days).

To note, if I go to the FASTLANE web site and click on the DOWNLOAD link all I get is a BLACK screen. Not sure if there is anything really there. It has been years since I had been on the DSDPLUS web pages.

So it looks like I am back in business.

Thanks guys, have agreat New Year.

John

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Thanks Mike, yes the WIN 10 machine with DSDPLUS has full internet access and has always worked just fine when new updates come out. This machine has been my primary receiver PC (BCB95XLT, Icon R1000, a couple of SDRPLAY units and a boatload of various RTLSDR dongles) alsong with other listening/monitoring software.

I did turn off Norton antivirus and Firewall yesterday. Still not luck. Also, there were no log entries in Norton about blocking any traffic. Last night it dawned on me that the only network changes in the last year was an upgrade to all Ubiquiti network gear for my network. This morning I look in the Security Detections log and there were some outbound blocks to 209.240.30.50 which is DSDPLUS. For grins I tried the download of the base files from the app first thing today and it worked. I had not changed anything in my Unifi configuration yet. I also received and update message that DSDPLUS2p457 was available. I let the download start and it completed just fine (like the old days).

To note, if I go to the FASTLANE web site and click on the DOWNLOAD link all I get is a BLACK screen. Not sure if there is anything really there. It has been years since I had been on the DSDPLUS web pages.

So it looks like I am back in business.

Thanks guys, have agreat New Year.

John

Good deal. Forget about visiting www.dsdplus.com in a web browser. That's for the original free version. There is nothing for a FastLane user to get from there. Everyone is aware of the random black screen on the Download link. I don't get it. Many people do though. And it'll likely never be fixed because the free version is ancient anyway :)

ScanRite

Premium Subscriber
Make sure the folder you're running DSD+ from has Write privileges. DSD+ downloads to the current executable folder. Check System Event Viewer to see if anything was logged there as well.