• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Unication G5 Antenna For 800 Mhz Band

radio3353

While looking for the Expert Power adaptor I ran across this similar adapter that is available.

Amazon.com: DHT LLC AD075 2 Pieces SMA Female to BNC Female Convert Adapter for Two Way Radio BaoFeng UV-5R FD-880: Electronics

What BNC antenna are you guys using to get better coverage in the 800-900mhz range?

Are you sure that will work? The outside diameter of the ring looks a bit wide overall on the SMA end, like it will be very close to the zone selector knob when installed. Hard to tell.

TDHG4U61

Premium Subscriber
I played around with a few stubby aftermarket antennas I collected. One outer sleeve was too thin and flexible, so I replaced the outer sleeve with a solid 2-half inch long sleeve and it works much better than the Unication stock one on 800, a 3-db gain. The base was the same, just trial and error whats best and closest tower site.

DMSROX2

I ordered one of those. It will not work because it does not allow contact to center pin.

I found that I had one of these in my radio connector junk box. You are correct it does not reach the center pin on the radio. It may be possible to modify the adapter to work by removing a "lip" on it, but this would be a tedious process with a jewelers file. I think I will keep looking for an adapter that will work.

Hit_Factor

Just ask yourself if a little gain is worth risking a $600 radio.
The repair wouldn't be $600, possibly could be just a few bucks if one is good with a soldering iron. It would be a hassle.

It's SMA, and that's a standard connector. Pins break in all kinds of connectors all the time. Even with a couple post here on RR, that doesn't mean the G5 is any more or less susceptible to damage when swapping antennas. This is pretty good equipment, seems rugged enough, I doubt they cheaped out on the SMA and then sold a bunch of these to Fire Fighters.

DMSROX2

The Expert Power adaptor appears to no longer be available, I found this other adapter on Amazon, plus found one in my radio parts bin. As it comes, it will not work, the female SMA will not make contact with the pin from the radio. I decided to try modifying it to see if I could make it work. I eliminated most of the lip as shown in the photos, I made sure it matched up with the factory antenna. I then tried it gently, attached a BNC antenna and all worked perfectly. Not I need to get an 800mhz antenna with some gain to try it again. The system I am wanting to follow has it's closest site about 45 miles from me and goes in and out.

The way I did this, was to place the BNC side of the adapter in a cordless drill, and then spun the adapter while I carefully held a fine metal file against the lip. I made sure to not touch the threads for the SMA. After I removed as much as I thought was necessary I cleaned it VERY thoroughly and gave it a try. It was a 5-minute fix.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-20 at 8.53.35 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-20 at 8.53.35 PM.png
    447.8 KB · Views: 50
  • 20200721_150351.jpg
    20200721_150351.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 64
  • 20200721_151601.jpg
    20200721_151601.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 53

bob550

Premium Subscriber
So, I've realized that the Amazon link I referenced in an earlier post shows the incorrect adapter. The model I had purchased is this:
I just found the above adapter on this website pictured as is (close out the Covid-19 message to view). But I also found this adapter with the same model number and UPC code on the same website. Sorry for any confusion!

N6ML

It's SMA, and that's a standard connector. Pins break in all kinds of connectors all the time. Even with a couple post here on RR, that doesn't mean the G5 is any more or less susceptible to damage when swapping antennas. This is pretty good equipment, seems rugged enough, I doubt they cheaped out on the SMA and then sold a bunch of these to Fire Fighters.

I'm not sure that it is actually SMA, or that it is actually "standard". It shares most of the dimensions with SMA, but that doesn't make it standard. It has been shown here many times that there is a significant difference been the "SMA" connectors on some Motorola rubber duckie antennas and the Unication one, and that that difference DOES make the Unication connector vulnerable to damage. Which one is "non-standard"?

The connector is not intended for use with non-Unication antennas (or adapters). Aside from risking pin damage, it (presumably) also affects ingress protection.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Ok, so the second link in my previous post now pictures the same adapter as the first link! When I made this post, the second link clearly showed the adapter I have pictured above. (Next time I'll take a screenshot) I know you'll all think I'm have a psychotic episode :) , but my take is that the website owner is playing games with the images. I guess the moral of this story is to be careful what you buy online and ensure the supplier allows returns.

JASII

Memory Capacity
How has the performance with this antenna vs the factory antenna?

I can only report on my early, unscientific observation and that is I get 4 bars on the signal strength meter in more places than I did with the OEM antenna. Occasionally, with the OEM antenna, I would get the orange Out Of Range message. Now, with he Motorola antenna, on Power Up, it acquires the local control channel much quicker and has more signal strength.

DMSROX2

I can only report on my early, unscientific observation and that is I get 4 bars on the signal strength meter in more places than I did with the OEM antenna. Occasionally, with the OEM antenna, I would get the orange Out Of Range message. Now, with he Motorola antenna, on Power Up, it acquires the local control channel much quicker and has more signal strength.
I have a VIPER tower site that that I really want to receive, and can receive it only about 40% of the time. This might do the trick? Sounds like it's worth a shot anyway.

Is t his Motorola antenna a direct replacement for the factory antenna or did it require some type of adapter?

Thanks!

Donnie
KE4GYN

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
I used that same antenna on my G4, and around 3 counties in NE Ohio (Cuyahoga, Lake, and Geauga), I can say it made no difference in reception compared to both stock OEM antennas. The only real difference it made was that I could barely begin to pick up a small city system (Parma) that is pretty far away from me. That was interesting, but then I started reading about how the Moto antennas tend to ruin the SMA connector, so I decided it wasn't worth the risk and haven't used it since.

Edit: There's lots of MARCS towers in NE Ohio. But there's far fewer GCRCN towers, and again the Moto antenna made no real difference. I can hear GCRCN virtually everywhere.

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
You should really read this post, and the next post, and this thread in general.

There have been enough failures due to the Moto antenna pushing down on the pin that I'm never using it again.

Hit_Factor

This antenna is a better match to the freqs used here on MPSCS

1/2 wave https://shop.motorolasolutions.com/flexible-whip-antenna-800-mhz/product/8505241U03

1/4 wave https://shop.motorolasolutions.com/1-4-wave-stubby-antenna-800-900-mhz/product/8505241U06

When I screwed it on the first time, I noticed resistance as the pin made contact. I took it off and verified alignment, then screwed it on again, going slow you can feel the pin making contact. Goes on easy after that.

If you are really worrisome, you could run a small gauge wire into the Moto antenna first to "break it in". If I had to guess, the Moto quality is better than average, so the pin is gripped better. Forcing things together is rarely the correct course of action.

These help a lot when I have the pager in a vehicle cup holder instead, of a mount that holds it above the dash.