• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Unication G5 scan multiple systems?

PhillyPhoto

It was in limited beta assigned based on the model number of the pager to those who originally signed up, and is no longer available. Unication appears to have stopped support for it.
The firmware is locked to the serial numbers hard coded in the firmware itself, not just model numbers.

Also, it wasn't a "scanner" like we're all used to where you tell it to watch systems A, B, and C. You would put in a frequency range and it would scan through it to find activity that way. It was a really terrible implementation and I ended up selling my G5.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Also, it wasn't a "scanner" like we're all used to where you tell it to watch systems A, B, and C. You would put in a frequency range and it would scan through it to find activity that way. It was a really terrible implementation and I ended up selling my G5.
That doesn't fill me with a lot of confidence regarding any future Unication "scanner". I would also fear that performance would suffer as a result of attempting to cover multiple bands. I think I'd be content with the ability to scan multiple P25 sites and systems and maybe in combination with analog conventional frequencies.

W8KIC

Premium Subscriber
It isn’t exactly news that the Unication PAGERS aren’t ‘SCANNERS’ and the company has never attempted to market them as such. What they do produce is a receiver that my own SDS100 & 200 simply cannot duplicate and that’s a measurable draw for numerous monitor enthusiasts who actually appreciate being able to listen to complete transmissions. I may well pick one up in the not to distant future but regardless of what buying decision I ultimately end up going with, I know full well what the G4 and G5 are and of course, what they aren’t.

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
The scanner term comes from people who refer most to use these over NAS since most tend to goof that up and cause issues.

Key thing is majority whom suggest g5 or other modesl own scanners or sdr where data can be collected properly and then programmed in or are in know or techs within a system knowing the proper data availablein their area or ties to others elsehwere. The average joe thinks it'll all be freely out there for the g5 in terms of trs data which isn't true. Thus you get sour thoughts or they expect to turn it on and it magically scan everything.

For a agency they work as needed and if programmed right one cam monitor a 700 system legitimately programmed with the specific data without needing affiliate issues while using a portable for the rest if on conventional vice versa.

I think they are good pagers and added tools specially in rural depts where it isn't ideal to have your normal average vol fire or ems needing to have a subscriber to a trs nearby but they can monitor while using their conventional local channel on portables or using dual band mobiles in rigs on said system cutting down on subscriber fees in portable end keeping the handheld on conventional that dispatch does monitor anyway.

I've seen various configurations and we all know agencies make penny pinch decisions while elsewhere spending carelessly which makes no sense but it happens.

Like a two way radio you cant hear it all unless you have a couple on you which you see command or comm officers have. Why many favor still single band radio over multi band. Doesn't do any good when you're parked on a tac and needing to hear soemone else on a different band. It could go on.

The g5 and others are decent pagers and tools to add to existing setups not to replace.

But they do make a handy scanner per say with limitations as any radio has limitations anyway.

sefrischling

Public Information Officer
No being able to scan both Trunking and conventional is a collosial deal breaker for me. Too many mixed PS systems in my area.

They are not designed as scanners. They are designed as public safety pagers, I use a G3 to monitor my Fire Dept's VHF dispatch, while also monitoring our mutual aid dispatch, a mix of UHF and VHF, along with our town police "talk around" which is VHF. I use the G5 to monitor our town police, who are dispatched on a Phase II 7/800 system ... yes their talk around is VHF and dispatch is P25 trunked ... as well as the State services such as the Fire Coordinator, HazMat and the State Police that work in our town, who are all on the Phase II 7/800 system. The G3 and G5 are better than any scanner around for what they are intended for.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Was it unication doing the beta firmwarre or was it someone that knows how to program?
It was Unication. If you read through this thread, you'll see that the beta firmware is not the answer to your dreams. In fact, several posters mentioned downgrading back to version 1.3. I'm sure there's a good reason that Unication abandoned this effort.

jabbeaux

Also, it wasn't a "scanner" like we're all used to where you tell it to watch systems A, B, and C.

Yes you can, I'm doing it right now in my G5 with firmware version 1.40-T02J. Here's the user guide from Uni how to set it up.

In fact, several posters mentioned downgrading back to version 1.3. I'm sure there's a good reason that Unication abandoned this effort.

FWIW, I've noticed no change in receive quality or missed two-tones between firmware 1.31, 1.32, and 1.40. I'm not aware of 1.40 removing any features. Can't recall it breaking any existing. I'm not sure why people downgraded to be honest. If I stop using the scan feature, I'd just not use that menu option. At least 75% of the time that's what I do anyway. Knob positions and menus are the same. You have to dig through menus to get to scan feature and activate it. I always wondered why people downgraded instead of just not using that extra feature.

palmerjrusa

It isn’t exactly news that the Unication PAGERS aren’t ‘SCANNERS’ and the company has never attempted to market them as such. What they do produce is a receiver that my own SDS100 & 200 simply cannot duplicate and that’s a measurable draw for numerous monitor enthusiasts who actually appreciate being able to listen to complete transmissions. I may well pick one up in the not to distant future but regardless of what buying decision I ultimately end up going with, I know full well what the G4 and G5 are and of course, what they aren’t.

I've owned a G5 for less than a week and it blows my Uniden scanners out the water. With the supplied antenna it receives and decodes systems in adjoining counties that the Unidens need tuned antennas for. It's also built like a tank, has great audio, and battery life is incredible.

Just a shout out to Ray's Pagers for his excellent customer service.

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
Once you figure out the software it's pretty nice. I just boggle on conventional why it misses soem traffic or doesn't un mute sometimes. Have the settings set as others and some zones have this issue.

I've owned a G5 for less than a week and it blows my Uniden scanners out the water. With the supplied antenna it receives and decodes systems in adjoining counties that the Unidens need tuned antennas for. It's also built like a tank, has great audio, and battery life is incredible.

Just a shout out to Ray's Pagers for his excellent customer service.

palmerjrusa

Once you figure out the software it's pretty nice. I just boggle on conventional why it misses soem traffic or doesn't un mute sometimes. Have the settings set as others and some zones have this issue.

The software was pretty daunting at first but after a while, it clicked, and finding it straightforward now.

Continue to be amazed at the G5's performance, it's sitting here beside me decoding systems with its own antenna that I have to switch antennas on the Unidens to receive.