Uniden BCT8 programing ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dixie729

Premium Subscriber
I have a Uniden BCT8 scanner. The only problem I've had is programing EDACS Standard 800 Mhz with talker groups. I cant seem to get the Decimal format and the AFS set properly. If some one can help explain how to get this set up the proper way please help. The manual makes it too complicated.

Frequencies can be found on this site.
-Kentucky.
-Daviess County.
-Owensboro Public Safety & City Government.

Owensboro Police & Fire Talkgroups.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Frequencies are not assigned tags in a trunked system. Talkgroups are. It sounds like trunking is something that's not fully understood. Go to this article and read the first 2 links(anything in blue) in the overview section. The 2nd link is a pdf file, so you will need Adobe, Foxit, 3d or one of the other popular readers to view it. Once you have a grasp of this, then we can proceed...

Trunked Radio Systems - The RadioReference Wiki

Let's take just one of the systems you mentioned - I believe this is one...

Owensboro Public Safety & City Government Trunking System, Owensboro, Kentucky - Scanner Frequencies

Your first task is to set up a bank for EDACS trunking, and enter all the frequencies in the proper order. The article I supplied tells you how to do this. You MUST follow the exact order in the exact number sequence as found by the little 2 digit number to the left of the frequency. Make sure you leave position 00 empty.

Once you get the frequencies programmed then the talkgroups are next. However this scanner cannot, I'm pretty sure, show the tags on the screen - you need software to do that, where the tags would then be shown on the screen the software creates. ARC8 from BuTel and Scan Control are 2 packages that can do this.

There are one or two talkgroups here that are marked 'D'. No scanner can copy AEGIS talkgroups so ignore them.

The article is pretty good - follow those steps exactly (keeping in mind that you must follow those little numbers to the left of the frequency precisely) and you should be good to go.

best regards..Mike

dixie729

Premium Subscriber
Thanks. I got it set up.
Now on the channels Im listening to, when the transmission ends there are 5 beeps before the channel closes out. Any idea how to make it not do that.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I doubt that you should be hearing 5 beeps as each transmission ends, although I'm not familiar with your systems. Did you set the bank up as 'Ed' as instructed in the cheat sheet? As long as you did that, you should be good to go. Someone in the Kentucky forum can answer that

best regards..Mike

Last edited:

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
are u definitly in trunking mode or just listening conventional? I use to hear those beeps when I listened to an EDACS system conventionally (just scanned the channels)

ensure your in trunking mode...

Status
Not open for further replies.