• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Uniden bearcat 680?

78k10

Been a while since I’ve been here. It’s a long story, but my 78 Chevy k10 was totaled when it came off a trailer in an accident. It had no insurance on it at the time, so it sits destroyed at my dad’s house. Anyway, ive had a 2009 Nissan Titan for a while now. I’m looking at adding a cb to it. Looking at going with a full 102” whip with spring to get me to 106”, and was looking at my radio choices. I know uniden has the bearcat line with the 880, 885 and the 980, but what happened to the 680? I know cb radio magazine did a review on it, but I can’t find any information at all on it. Did it even get released?

slowmover

Came out in 2011, since discontinued.

NRC is what one wants to see as a feature. At the same $90-110 price as the U680 one has some choices.

It’s easy to recommend the RadiOddity CB-500 is a more modern design in components and with inclusion of Noise Resuction Circuitry (a DSP filter) as this has forever changed the game.

It is similar to Anytone 500 and President Harrison as you look around in reviews.

IMG_5767.jpeg

One can go up in performance from here (inclusion of SSB) as well as in features, so it is with the following one will have the best start:

1). Clean 12V power from BATT
2). Base-load, roof-center permanent-mount antenna
3). NRC -equipped radio.

I would also add an external speaker to any radio.

The Power and Antenna systems come first. A radio is a component we plug into those two systems. Radio chosen (assuming NRC) is a lower percentage of what matters to performance.

Chaining a 102 to the back bumper won’t be as good as a base-load Wilson 1000. It’d do well. The ones I hear out on the road are performers.

Last edited:

slowmover

Don’t be thrown what looks like complication. Basically, we set up the radios like this the way we want once and leave it alone to run as a standard CB when that’s what’s wanted.

In other words don’t sweat the tech talk. It’s more than just a little CB, would be the point.

NRC means you’ll hear farther and better. Excellent clarity, and that’s what obsoletes the older ones. The crucial feature.

This, plus roof center antenna, will give you almost the best ears of anyone around you, and you’ll get out really well.

Last edited:

78k10

Ok, sounds like there are better options out there than the uniden lineup. I do like the inclusion of FM mode.
I’m surprised to hear you suggest a shorter antenna over a 1/4 wave antenna. I can’t put a full size antenna on the roof obviously, but there is already a convenient hole located inside the bed rail that I was thinking about using a ball mount in for the whip. I’ve also read about Wilson quality dropping off, is that really a concern? I used to have a 1000 mag mount and it was an awesome antenna. I wish I’d held onto it. Pic of the bed rail location I was considering. I know it’s not the best, but an 8’ antenna is cumbersome.IMG_6428.jpeg

slowmover

Ok, sounds like there are better options out there than the uniden lineup. I do like the inclusion of FM mode.
I’m surprised to hear you suggest a shorter antenna over a 1/4 wave antenna. I can’t put a full size antenna on the roof obviously, but there is already a convenient hole located inside the bed rail that I was thinking about using a ball mount in for the whip. I’ve also read about Wilson quality dropping off, is that really a concern? I used to have a 1000 mag mount and it was an awesome antenna. I wish I’d held onto it. Pic of the bed rail location I was considering. I know it’s not the best, but an 8’ antenna is cumbersome.View attachment 164760

My experience is that they whip around quite a lot. Too much in highway wind here in Texas.

Inside bed would be okay.

Location, first, exact choice, second.

Larsen NMO34b + WD-640b whip + Springb atop roof center would be upgrade choice for roof. No headaches. Has best location and meets length minimums. Remove and cap when parked, not as easy with 102.

Read around here on choices. That’s best plan.

Larsen on mag mount shown below. Permanent is the way to go.

IMG_5395.jpeg

I’ve a HD roof mount in order to run anything. A lot more expense & trouble. My 102 stays under truck cap in 8’ bed till parked on a hill. I use from 5’-7’ on my 2500 Dodge.

SIRIO 5000 on a BREEDLOVE will kick tail. What I gave my son. Same antenna I use on big truck in a different configuration. (Several models; choose carefully).

IMG_1394.jpeg

RadiOddity Q60 or Anytone Q5 is what we (some of us) recommend as best value for a full feature radio.

IMG_5052.jpeg

Last edited:

slowmover

With a Tacoma. Different antenna challenge, but you may enjoy the ride.

More on modern radios:

Last edited: