IC-R15 - First Impressions

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
Random, thinking out loud points:

1. No 2.5khz steps??
1b. Saw some weird bugs with the step sizes. As I changed to different values, it would stick on the old value.
2. Support for voice inversion would be a nice plus. Should be a relatively simple add.
3. 32GB MicroSDHC card gives up to 553h of recording. Yowza!

a727469

Good question…had a Ramsey kit many years ago that handled voice inversion..I will not get into the legalities except to say the one local pd in new york that I heard dropped it after about 3 months…totally useless. I do not think it has been used especially in public safety for decades..or maybe I am missing something? why would any one use it with the current technologies available.

a727469

ok thanks for the response, and believe me, I am not picking on the answer but just for my education, as eorange asked who is actually using inversion as far as type of user and frequencies..over the years I have done extreme amounts of listening to all types of frequencies and have not heard in decades. Maybe I just am not listening in the right place. Seriously, I am always wishing to improve my knowledge. I might understand the cheap part although other types of ‘encryption‘ are available at minimal cost, even though inversion is not ‘real’ encryption. I guess I am just not understanding the need. As far as the r15, I would think adding other digital modes would be a much better option if there were any possibilities.

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
As far as the r15, I would think adding other digital modes would be a much better option if there were any possibilities.
That takes a lot more work. Voice inversion is relatively simple to implement is my point. You can buy (several) $30 chicom radio on Amazon that implements inversion on Tx and Rx.

This is an analog-only radio. There won't be any digital support.

palmerjrusa

Amazing and glad to hear. A lot of people are awaiting your review.

Interesting, HRO initially told me it would ship from their Sacramento store but, as is usual, it's coming from their VA outlet, even though that store still indicates it's not yet in stock.

Oops, just checked again, it is now😁...

Last edited:

Xray

Don't need it but will probably get one, what is the bluetooth functionality for ?

Wavicle

Don't need it but will probably get one, what is the bluetooth functionality for ?
I believe you can use it primarily for audio out including headsets or speakers such as an in-dash system in your vehicle or portable Bluetooth speaker. After I receive mine I'll test to see if the ICOM VS-3 Bluetooth headset will also allow scan start/stop functionality.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Has it been determined whether the IC-R15's Bluetooth feature has any compatibility issues with generally-available Bluetooth devices? There's been a problem with some recent amateur radio equipment not being compatible with modern Apple devices.

palmerjrusa

Has it been determined whether the IC-R15's Bluetooth feature has any compatibility issues with generally-available Bluetooth devices? There's been a problem with some recent amateur radio equipment not being compatible with modern Apple devices.

Out of my Yaesu, Kenwood and Icom gear that's Bluetooth-enabled only my Icom radios connected effortlessly with my non-Icom Bluetooth speakers and headphones. And it wasn't for lack of trying with my Yaesu and Kenwood radios, in the end, I just gave up.

N1FKO

Premium Subscriber
This may or may not be relevant, but my experience is that the auto-connect feature of ICOM Bluetooth radios is what bugs my Macs. Turn it off and everything is happy. I would leave it on only for audio (e.g. AirPods).