Uniden & Radio Shack will program your scanner...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacombMonitor

I received an email from Uniden today. Among other things, I found this:

SCANNER PROGRAMMING

Uniden will be happy to program your scanner for you. Please see details below:

Customer Provides:

Scanner frequencies, cities and counties of frequencies

Payment should accompany request. Acceptable payment forms are credit card, money order, personal check or cashier’s check payable to Uniden Service Inc.

Customer contact information

Return ship-to physical address

Programming fee; $30 for basic, $85 for TrunkTracker

Programming turn-time of 5 to7 business days in-house

Ship-to information; via traceable means to:

Uniden Service Inc.
4700 Amon Carter Blvd.
Fort Worth , Texas 76155
Attn: Repair - Scanner Programming (Very Important)

Seems a little pricey to me. I prefer to program my own. But I guess if someone didn't want to learn, or was unable to program their own scanner, it would be a consideration.

I wonder if they're hiring remote-programming contractors? :eek:

On another note, Radio Shack claims to offer this service for free! However, as the saying goes, you get what you pay for. I've heard very mixed results from people who have requested this service from Radio Shack.

seamusg

MacombMonitor said:
I received an email from Uniden today. Among other things, I found this:

SCANNER PROGRAMMING

Uniden will be happy to program your scanner for you. Please see details below:

Customer Provides:

Payment should accompany request. Acceptable payment forms are credit card, money order, personal check or cashier’s check payable to Uniden Service Inc.

Customer contact information

Return ship-to physical address

Programming fee; $30 for basic, $85 for TrunkTracker

Programming turn-time of 5 to7 business days in-house

Ship-to information; via traceable means to:

Uniden Service Inc.
4700 Amon Carter Blvd.
Fort Worth , Texas 76155
Attn: Repair - Scanner Programming (Very Important)

Seems a little pricey to me. I prefer to program my own. But I guess if someone didn't want to learn, or was unable to program their own scanner, it would be a consideration.

I wonder if they're hiring remote-programming contractors? :eek:

On another note, Radio Shack claims to offer this service for free! However, as the saying goes, you get what you pay for. I've heard very mixed results from people who have requested this service from Radio Shack.
Sounds like a nice business to get into since the customer must supply all the information,

patin

i would rather learn my self hate to pay 30 or even 85 dollars and all the shipping and waiting plus if you accedently erase everything the just went out the door

MacombMonitor

patin said:
i would rather learn my self hate to pay 30 or even 85 dollars and all the shipping and waiting plus if you accedently erase everything the just went out the door

True! Added to that, once you start doing it, you continue to find better ways to do it. Moving banks, and channels around, changing alpha tags, updating, etc.

Radio Shack's V-Scanner feature in it's digital models, with it's pre-loaded data, is a pretty good approach for the beginner!

sacscan

MacombMonitor said:
I checked the trunking data in one of my local Radio Shacks once and it was filled with incorrect information. If I remember correctly they had the City and County trunking systems in one bank(!). I corrected it all for the benefit of anyone buying a scanner, and to keep said scanner buyers from having to pay the outrageous prices a local radio shop charges for scanner programming. They charge $60 for scanners without alpha tags and $100 for scanners with alpha tags.

Too bad I didn't get a discount on the Pro-99 I purchased at RS immediately after I finished correcting their mistakes.

SCPDfan

Banned Loser
Banned
I actually programed most of the scanners in my local RadioShack - later before I left the manager actually gave me an employee discount! Thanks Islandia, NY RS!!!

seamusg

Why I said it's a good business to get into is this:
Customer Provides:

Customer provides all information.

K5MAR

The files used by Radio Shack come from Bearcat1.com. I looked through the Oklahoma files at the local RS store, and found that what was available were incomplete and grossly inaccurate. I sat down with my copy of Scancat Lite and set up a new file for them, plus I redid the store's printed handout. The manger wanted to get picky 'cause I left the McDonald's drive-through freq off. When I asked him if that freq was still correct, he said he didn't know, he just left it on there for the customers. Yeah, they just love getting inaccurate information!

Mark S.

benno

programing my uniden scanner

I am having difficulties upgrading my firmware on my bcd396t
it keeps telling me the software is incorrect and i have done it several times downloaded several times help.

cellblock776

WOW. 85 Bucks?!? I think about all the times I've met someone from my Yahell Group at a McDonalds and explained trunking to them while loading up their trunktracker and doing it for free. I should at least start making them pay for my burger. ;)
Nnnnaaaaa...
I'm in the hobby for fun, not to make money from the newbees. Half the fun is being able to teach someone what you have learned. Besides, if you just program it for them and don't show them HOW the scanner works then they call you back a week later saying, "I hit a button by accident and now it won't scan. What do I do?"
The ole "teach a man to fish," story. Better to sit down and spend an hour sipping Cokes and munching fries while programing the radio WITH them. That way, by the time you give them the scanner to take home they have a basic understanding of how it works. That and you had a chance to play with a scanner that you may have seen advertized but not purchased for yourself yet. :)

clbarker

Radio Shack programmed my pro-94 with conventional frequnencies for a truncked system. I didn't know any thing about it at the time, but I eventually got interested in trying to figure it out, so i found this website and programmed it the right way.

Radio Shack did do it for free...but didn't do it the "correct" way...

unitcharlie

a Kentucky DB Admin...
I'll do it for free.... if you live in my area and will call if you hear something.... give me a few days and I might even customize an entire V-Folder or freq load for your Rat Shack PRO and email it to you.... if I had a sawski for eveyscanner I have programmed or every freq list emailed I'd have enough saved for the new PRO XXX what ever that might be....who knows, I might even have a Uniden.

RyltnVFD

I've had my PRO-96 for close to a year now, and I still have no clue what the heck a V-scanner is. Apparently I have no use for it. I have about 30 conventional channels in Bank 1, a P25 system in bank 2, and an EDACS system in Bank 3.

Ignorance is bliss.

MacombMonitor

RyltnVFD said:
I've had my PRO-96 for close to a year now, and I still have no clue what the heck a V-scanner is. Apparently I have no use for it. I have about 30 conventional channels in Bank 1, a P25 system in bank 2, and an EDACS system in Bank 3.

Ignorance is bliss.

Here is the sub-manual, regarding the V-Scanner feature, incase yours was missing:

http://support.radioshack.com/support_electronics/doc71/71779.pdf

BaLa

When I first got my Pro95, I had them program the conventional frequencies and the trunking system.

No text tags, but whatever.

As soon as I figured out how to do it on my own, I redid everything anyways.
So.....it wouldn't be worth it really..
I also think that, the first thing anybody should learn about their new scanner is how to program it.

ECPD279

Premium Subscriber
Wow! So the customer has to provide ALL information AND pay for the service? Sounds like a pretty good racket! They make money AND get free information for the Bearcat1 site! Maybe they will take what they learn and CORRECT the bearcat site!

I'm not holding my breath.......

Status
Not open for further replies.