Uniden & Radio Shack will program your scanner...

Status
Not open for further replies.

brandon

Database Admin
85 bucks!!! Damn might as well buy the Butel software, programming cable, and a RR donation and still have enough left for lunch :)

When I bought my PRO-96, RadioShack programmed it but it wasn't very accurate for our trunked systems.

DPD1

Don't forget... There's a lot of organizations that use scanners besides hobbyists. Some newspaper and TV dispatch rooms wouldn't even blink at spending that much money for something like that. In fact, they'd probably pay a lot more. Most employees probably wouldn't consider that their responsibility.

Dave
-DPD Productions - Custom Scanner, MURS, & Ham Antennas-
http://eje.railfan.net/dpdp/

2wayfreq

Premium Subscriber
Nah,
I would be pretty sure the freqs would be inaccurate or outdated. On our EDACS system, the talk groups were re-arranged not too long ago. I would rather do it myself.

MacombMonitor

2wayfreq said:
Nah,
I would be pretty sure the freqs would be inaccurate or outdated. On our EDACS system, the talk groups were re-arranged not too long ago. I would rather do it myself.

No, they don't even come up with the frequencies. For that price, you have to supply them to Uniden!

cmprather69

Bearcat1.com is awesome

K5MAR said:
The files used by Radio Shack come from Bearcat1.com. I looked through the Oklahoma files at the local RS store, and found that what was available were incomplete and grossly inaccurate. I sat down with my copy of Scancat Lite and set up a new file for them, plus I redid the store's printed handout. The manger wanted to get picky 'cause I left the McDonald's drive-through freq off. When I asked him if that freq was still correct, he said he didn't know, he just left it on there for the customers. Yeah, they just love getting inaccurate information!

Mark S.

thanks so much for listing this, it's going to be helpful in getting my BCT8 up and running...

sjcscanner

Premium Subscriber
MacombMonitor said:
True! Added to that, once you start doing it, you continue to find better ways to do it. Moving banks, and channels around, changing alpha tags, updating, etc.

i know what your saying :D ive been hand programming my scanner for 2 years (who needs that 30$!! programming cable..) and i really got it down. Its kinda fun for me now XD

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
I always offer my scanner customers free programming. We were told the store is getting Scancat Lite, which I thought sucked royally. I also checked the scanner files and found they were totally off the wall. RS basically put every frequency from, say, 460 through 461 in 25 kc steps. That does not help a customer.
If we are forced to use Scancat, I'm going to make damned sure our files are programmed properly.

elk2370bruce

If you own any piece of equipment, and are going to be an active part in the hobby, you should learn how to program the tools. Otherwise, you'll have to send it back each time you want to modify it. What if you want to modify it on the fly? Save your money and use your grey matter.

kd5dga

When I purchased my new PRO2055 from Radio Shack they asked if I wanted them to program it up for me.
I replied" thats alright I think that I can do a better job".
The manager wanted me to program his up since "they really dont know what is all out there"
I do offer programming free in my town.

BaLa

kd5dga said:
When I purchased my new PRO2055 from Radio Shack they asked if I wanted them to program it up for me.
I replied" thats alright I think that I can do a better job".
The manager wanted me to program his up since "they really dont know what is all out there"
I do offer programming free in my town.
LOL Which RS was this at?

I'm going to guess Heights (if there is one there) Kileen, or Belton?

Stavro35

That's just silly. Turning to anyone to program your scanner is even more silly. That's half of the excitement of having a new scanner. Sitting down, and figuring it out. Then determining what you want to program and how you want the radio set up to scan. by county, or community etc. I've been here,Bainbridge island Washington, I reprogram my secondary scanners all the time.

Bentley

Stavro35 said:
That's just silly. Turning to anyone to program your scanner is even more silly. That's half of the excitement of having a new scanner. Sitting down, and figuring it out. Then determining what you want to program and how you want the radio set up to scan. by county, or community etc. I've been here,Bainbridge island Washington, I reprogram my secondary scanners all the time.

I agree! And when you finally 'get it'. All programmed, all just the way you want it, it is very exciting! It makes me feel a big sense of accomplishment.

I think it silly to pay someone to do it for you also, the easy way out.

kd5dga

BaLa said:
LOL Which RS was this at?

I'm going to guess Heights (if there is one there) Kileen, or Belton?

Killeen Mall location. He'd showed me a old print out of the Bell County system and looking it over the information was old, especially the TGID's.

I would rather do it myself.

br0adband

There's a place here in the Vegas area that does programming, using Butel Software or even Uniden software, and they charge like $40 for the service.

Less than a minute of effort, plug in a cable and push a button or click a mouse, $40. Wow... that's just... amazing.

kd5dga

Same in Killeen and in Belton Texas locations, infact at both stores I was looked at like I was stupid.The paper list I was offered had old TGID's on it.
Hey, BaLa your membership location says Temple-Bell County but your reply says St. robert Mo??????

Last edited:

Gooser

I'm tossed between a Pro-2055 and a BCT15. I have always thought about the 15 due to the DMM, # of channels, plug in trunk channels w/o having to worry about plugging in talk groups, temp L/O, yada, yada...but it seems like a steep learning curve to program/use.

I doubt I would have RS or Uniden program my scanner. Would do it myself via WIN97 or Butel.

Have a Pro-97 and have become familiar with WIN97 fairly easily...a lot of it due to some cool scannerds here.

Question...is the Butel software as intuitive/easy to use as WIN97?

Status
Not open for further replies.