Uniden & Radio Shack will program your scanner...

Status
Not open for further replies.

n2mdk

I find both softwares easy to use, because of the DMA memory management I find it easier to arrange things with the BuTel

JESSERABBIT

I guess if someone was an elderly person, then they may take the bait on the programming and not know the difference. Sure they would get some local traffic and think that would be great. I bought a Pro-97 to give to my brother for Christmas. I was going to program it for his area using Win97. I noticed some of my local freqs on powerup. Downloading the memory into a new template, I discovered that my county was already in it. Also in it were freqs for an adjacent county. What a waste, they consisted of the old freqs for their old conventional system. That county is now trunked. I was able to use Win97 and the DB to get it right for him. The box that the scanner came in appeared to never have been opened, so it looks like someone else did the job, probably using an old copy of Police Call. Would be interesting to see who exactly does the programming. I could imagine the frustration of an indvidual who bought one of these and never was able to get the adjacent county's transmissions. It is a good to get a scanner that you could use right out of the box and be accurate and up to date, but obviously it cannot be guranteed.

NoRide

Gooser said:
I'm tossed between a Pro-2055 and a BCT15. I have always thought about the 15 due to the DMM, # of channels, plug in trunk channels w/o having to worry about plugging in talk groups, temp L/O, yada, yada...but it seems like a steep learning curve to program/use.

Have a Pro-97 and have become familiar with WIN97 fairly easily...a lot of it due to some cool scannerds here.

Question...is the Butel software as intuitive/easy to use as WIN97?
I had a BCT-15 first and found it fairly straight forward with the help of the Butel software and access to the RR database import feature. Got a Pro-97 and a copy of Win97 and it still, to this day, seems old school compared to Butel but then again, a BCT-15 compared to a Pro-97 is similar.

I just gave my dad a BCT-15 for xmas. The reasons as to why were less chatter about dead displays, larger display window (vision ain't what it use to be). I also like the overall feel as in build quality.

Only real gripe I have about the BCT-15 using identical antennas and such for comparison is the scan speed. (no delays or hold time) When trunking, the BCT-15 is slow compared to the Pro-97. Miss chatter.

escorial

Programming a new BC95XLT

HI ALL!

This is all new to me and I just purchase the above scanner. Right off the bat I see that programing this will not be a simple task like my older Bearcat. After speaking with the Vebdor today, he suggested that I get the software.

What I have done so for was to get a subscription to ARC95 and then I just found out that to use the ARC95 I must buy a premium subscription to this site and on top that buy a special USB cable which I was told that any Radio Shack would carry it.

So from what I understand once I have the premium subscription to here I can open up the ARC95 go to >ILLINOIS and start choosing the frequescies that I would want. Once that has been compleated that would automaticly download into the scanner??????????

Also can I program freq manually with the software as I did not notice the Chicago PD frequencies listed. I know them all as we have had a scanner here for close to 20 years.

I bought the scanner for my Dad who is in his 80's and never had a problem programming the old scanners but with the new stuff he is lost and I'm not too far behind!

TIA and HAppY New Year!

John

Gooser

Thanks N2MDK and NoRide for your comments regarding software ease of use between WIN97 and BuTel.
I downloaded a trial version of BuTel for the BCT15 and it seems pretty straight forward.

Think I will be eating a lot of Mickey D $1 Double Cheeseburgers for lunch so I can pay for the BCT15. And, to keep this thread related, program it myself ;)

Thanks Again...

screenersam

I hate motrbro
me got Pro-97 and could NOT get my local county trunk sys to work, no matter how close I followed direx etc. eventually used the Win-97. I HIGHLY recommend it. That $25, and my RR membership, was WAY worth it.
you got to be way dedicated to try to do a 500+ channel scanner manually, even non-trunk stuffs.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
$85 a scanner seems a bit steep but think about how long it would take to manually program one... That $85 turns into $6 an hour real fast.

That being said I programmed 10 digital unidens for a newspaper once for $100. It was a simple matter of creating a file in my scanner software and uploading it 10 times but it still took a few hours because I had to hunt down all the new DTRS info (alot of it was still unknown at the time) and the software was being finicky so I had to fiddle with the computer for a while to make it work. I was lucky to make $10 an hour on the deal when all was said and done, plus I had to pick up and deliver the scanners, so factor in gas and mileage too. I was going to install some outdoor antennas for them as well for an additional fee, but that deal never materialized. I heard they got a ham who works at the paper that offered to do it for free. :D

Gooser

Gooser said:
Thanks N2MDK and NoRide for your comments regarding software ease of use between WIN97 and BuTel.
I downloaded a trial version of BuTel for the BCT15 and it seems pretty straight forward.

Think I will be eating a lot of Mickey D $1 Double Cheeseburgers for lunch so I can pay for the BCT15. And, to keep this thread related, program it myself ;)

Thanks Again...
Picked up a BCT15 from Scanners Unlimited today.

Pulled it outta the box, ran a search using BuTel ARC15 for my county, downloaded then uploaded. All is less than maybe, maybe, five minutes. Oh, and it works (always a plus).

Certainly not saying that I got all the BCT15/ARC 15 tricks down, but the basic trunk system was a snap...

110588968-M.jpg

The Bear Tracker Alert scared the sheet outta me! Figured out how to mute that quickly too. DOH!!!!

Last edited:

VECTOR-77

I would go in and pay them , make them do it manually and give them a List as long as Santa's of frequency's.

mlconnell

ECPD279 said:
Wow! So the customer has to provide ALL information AND pay for the service? Sounds like a pretty good racket! They make money AND get free information for the Bearcat1 site! Maybe they will take what they learn and CORRECT the bearcat site!

I'm not holding my breath.......

My thoughts exactly. I guess they figure if someone will pay that much for it, the FREQS must be right ! :)

Stavro35

I will admit to getting help to program my PSR 500 . I had to get help to create a file for it based on the programming of my Pro96 and at the time Pro97... .I've since learned how to edit previous programming to keep it current, with cconventioanl frequencies,the programming of my PSR 500 that is to say.Entering talkgroups has me scratching my head. of someone could TALK me through that over the phone sometime,that would be great.

Last edited:

jerryloganp

Premium Subscriber
I'll do it for free.... if you live in my area and will call if you hear something.... give me a few days and I might even customize an entire V-Folder or freq load for your Rat Shack PRO and email it to you.... if I had a sawski for eveyscanner I have programmed or every freq list emailed I'd have enough saved for the new PRO XXX what ever that might be....who knows, I might even have a Uniden.

i here you cacklin little hen but i cant find yer nest.lol

jerryloganp

Premium Subscriber
where can i meet you at?..i've been to nonesuch and i live in crab orchard.i'll pay you whatever you ask to clone mine or whatever...drove to paris the other day and .bought a pro 106.couldnt get anything on it so i drove to rs in lexington off nicholasville road to have a guy program it.he had a degree in engineering from uk..he watched a youtube tutorial for programmingt a pro106 and still couldnt get anything on the scanner...lol....\so now i've got an older pro96 and a new pro106 and still no madison county.

N8IAA

Considering this started out as a thread seven years ago, and the last post was three years ago..........What was that P. T. Barnum said about suckers???
Larry

z96cobra

Holy old post revival!

Jerryloganp, just buy some software (I use Win500) and a programming cable. Used in conjunction with your premium membership here, it's extremely easy to program your scanner.

unitcharlie

a Kentucky DB Admin...
The amount of time I spend putting together a program for folks is longer than the normal cut-and-paste... so my prices stand. As for reviving an old thread, well... if someone needs help and there is an existing thread then why start a new one? The particular system this man is trying to monitor isn't a cake walk.... see the thread concerning problems: Madison County, KY new radio system thread Look at Post 75, for example....

Status
Not open for further replies.