Uniden Remote Head Project

jpjohn

Premium Subscriber
Any updates? Really looking forward to this!!
This thread sure has been quite!!! Any updates as far as having something for sale?

While I wish I had the time and more importantly the knowledge to build my own...I doubt I could do it. Sure hope something is still in the works!!!

jpjohn

Premium Subscriber
One more inquiry.....any progress? I've switched vehicles and would love to have a solution. I don't think mounting the SDS200's as is will work due to lack of room and was really hopeful on this project. It sounded like there were working versions of this out there and the possibility of a plug and play version for sale was coming. As I said before I'd make my own but I don't think my electrical knowledge is enough to tackle the project.

Hopefully not but if this project has died on the vine....does anyone have another option? I've thought of ProScan with a mini tablet but don't know if that is a possibility in a mobile environment. I've thought of switching to a Whistler with the remote head but would really miss the SDS200 display, functions and GPS.

Looking for thoughts, options, solutions - LOL!!!!

mancow

Database Admin
I'm still here. The RF noise issue bummed me out and I took a break from it. I need to get back working on it and build some up.

jpjohn

Premium Subscriber
I'm still here. The RF noise issue bummed me out and I took a break from it. I need to get back working on it and build some up.

Great News!!!!! I have hope you will figure it out!!!!!!! Thank you for the reply and keep us posted...….

jpjohn

Premium Subscriber
Just me again wondering how close we are to someone offering something for sale already built? I like the idea of a plug & play remote head obviously. I was thinking in the interim of doing a wireless connection via ProScan to a tablet unit. I would consider this a temporary install hoping for the remote head solution.

Sorry to be a pest but just hoping someone will be offering something soon!!

mancow

Database Admin
Yep I'm still trying to find a way around it. It seems to be eminating from the traces between the fpga and sram chips. I wish I had known beforehand. I would never have used them.

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
Smart displays will generate more RFI than the typical memory-mapped display with less smarts. Unfortunately it's hard to know how much until you try the application.

hkrharry

Member - RR DB AdminMo/Ks
Database Admin
edit- i am the OP of this thread -- I made a usb based remote head for the 996 and 325 series

MA-radio-guy

I would like to see what you did and is a copy of your latest image file available?

You did this on a Pi correct?

Do you have a BOM?

Thanks In advance HH

BTW: I like what Mancow did as well! :)

jpjohn

Premium Subscriber
Just wondering if any progress on getting something for sale? I've got a temporary solution right now that works but I really would like something a little more user friendly - which it appears your remote head would fit the bill. Hoping this isn't a project that is dying on the vine.

jpjohn

Premium Subscriber
Hello group......one more time for old time sake!!! Any progress? Anyone have a working model up and running? If you do....anyone interested in building one or two for sale for someone who is all thumbs?

mancow

Database Admin
If I could find time I would immediately. I will try my best. The PLA printed housing isn't suitable for high temp auto environments but if printed in ABS it might be fine. I've never tried ABS.

Let me dig it all out and try to get the guts going again.

Also I have some generic housings that would work if the proper holes were cut. I bought the 3D printer and X/Y engraver for this project but once the kid turned about two years old this spring all my spare time vanished.

hkrharry

Member - RR DB AdminMo/Ks
Database Admin
Seems like everyone except Mancow has left the planet. I would like to at least see the code for the pi version that MA-radio-guy did

A copy of the image would suffice..

Not too worried about a housing, just the code that drives it.

TIA
HH

Not exactly related to the original project, but I was inspired by this project to make a terminal remote screen for Linux PCs. I used the main code from this and made a couple Python programs to communicate with Uniden scanners and display the scanner screen in the terminal. I also have a version which records specific calls in a file (no audio just basic metadata). If anyone is interested in this I can post the code on here.

Edit: just noticed hkrharry was looking for a Piversion of the code, perhaps my Python code could be a starting point on a recreation? Or if the capabilities of the code are known I would be glad to work on attempting to implement them.

Thanks for all those who put so much work into this project and I hope this can be a small repayment for their investment :).

jpjohn

Premium Subscriber
I'm again hopeful for this. I won't speak for others but I'm ready to purchase two for my mobile install!!! Right now I'm using a HP 8" stream tablet running ProScan. While it works - it is far from perfect and really doesn't allow for volume adjustment, etc. due to size and non flexibility offered for the display. Just limitations on software I realize - not complaining.

The looks of the display presented by Trixter above look good. Like the volume up/down buttons, etc. Nice crisp display, etc.

Not exactly related to the original project, but I was inspired by this project to make a terminal remote screen for Linux PCs. I used the main code from this and made a couple Python programs to communicate with Uniden scanners and display the scanner screen in the terminal. I also have a version which records specific calls in a file (no audio just basic metadata). If anyone is interested in this I can post the code on here.

Edit: just noticed hkrharry was looking for a Piversion of the code, perhaps my Python code could be a starting point on a recreation? Or if the capabilities of the code are known I would be glad to work on attempting to implement them.

Thanks for all those who put so much work into this project and I hope this can be a small repayment for their investment :).

Almost forgot to post the code! :D

This .zip contains two programs, one that only shows the scanner's screen on the terminal (UnidenRemote) and one that shows the screen, adds a clock, and will print calls to a logfile (UnidenRemoteTime).

Problems with the code:
1)The call logging isn't perfect in that it will duplicate a call if the TX ends and restarts, but it should catch all calls at least once.
2)The code runs perfectly without errors (that I could find over longs period of continuous running) in regular scan mode. It doesn't handle program mode at all, it crashes.

NOTE: This is programmed for Python2 explicitly and requires the PySerial, Time, and OS libraries. Unfortunately, Python2 has fallen by the wayside and I am trying to recode this to work for Python3, but there are many problems to sort out. I'll post the Py3 version when completed. Also, the actual code I based this off of is the OLD Uniden Remote Head thread from 2012-2013 with an arduino and LCD as the remote head.

Attachments

• UnidenRemote.zip
    2.6 KB · Views: 23