Uniden Scanner Mods & Accessories - SDS100 Internal GPS Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Don't you need the scanner up on the dash for the GPS to work on road trips?
Nope! It works just about anywhere in the car, at least it does for me. My 200 has to have the antenna on the dash but the internal antenna on the 100 is super-efficient.

Reactions: RRR

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Same here, GPS works indoors as well, even nowhere near a window.

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
My SDS100 has been with Jonathan since the last week of May 2021. He said at the onset that turnaround is 3-4 weeks. I have heard from other sources besides those posting on this thread that the internal GPS and associated hardware mod works great. I can't wait until mine is returned. He said that he will send a request for payment to ship the radio back to me. That will be an indication that the mod is complete and that the radio is ready to ship.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
My SDS100 has been with Jonathan since the last week of May 2021. He said at the onset that turnaround is 3-4 weeks. I have heard from other sources besides those posting on this thread that the internal GPS and associated hardware mod works great. I can't wait until mine is returned. He said that he will send a request for payment to ship the radio back to me. That will be an indication that the mod is complete and that the radio is ready to ship.
You won't be disappointed.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
may I ask what device you use for your mods?
-

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I'm having issues with my GPS supplier right now. I've been in communication with them, and discovered that the entirety of my most recent order of modules is missing the flash chip needed to permanently store configuration changes. Without the chip, the module will revert back to the factory settings after the module has been powered off for a few days or weeks and the backup battery is depleted. Once the programmed settings are lost, the data from the GPS is no longer recognized by the scanner because of a firmware bug affecting all GPS-aware Uniden scanners described here:

Worse, I've discovered that an unknown number of modules from previous shipments are also missing the flash chip (I just pulled one from a scanner I originally worked back in January without it), so that means I've shipped an unknown number of scanners whose GPS modules will quit working (at least until Uniden fixes the firmware bug) the first time the GPS is off long enough to lose its programmend settings. So if you've had me mod a scanner in the last 8 months, there is a possibility that you have one of the affected modules, and should keep the scanner running as much as possible to prevent the module's backup battery fully charged.

ALL SDS200 GPS units I've sold have the same issue. If they are not used for a while, they will eventually revert back to their factory settings and the SDS200 won't recognize the data they send, even though it is correct NMEA sentences.

I'll post more when I know more.

Last edited:

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
FYI here's how to tell if your unit is affected by the issue, if you feel handy with a screwdriver:
RY825CF.png
You'll have to open up the scanner or external GPS, and look at the back of the GPS module. If the chip indicated by the red arrow labeled FLASH is present, then you do NOT have the problem, and the module will retain its programmed settings indefinitely.

But if the chip is missing, then the module will lose its settings if it's powered off for too long and the backup battery runs out.

ALL SDS200 GPS modules I've sold to date are affected.

Some rechargeable external GPS units for models other than the SDS200 may be affected.

And some internal GPS installs (the more recent, the more likely) may be affected, beyond the ones done from the most recent batch.

I apologize for the inconvenience, and once I have a resolution from Ryax, I will work with everyone affected to resolve the problem.

rdlinn

Premium Subscriber
FYI here's how to tell if your unit is affected by the issue, if you feel handy with a screwdriver:
You'll have to open up the scanner or external GPS, and look at the back of the GPS module. If the chip indicated by the red arrow labeled FLASH is present, then you do NOT have the problem, and the module will retain its programmed settings indefinitely.

But if the chip is missing, then the module will lose its settings if it's powered off for too long and the backup battery runs out.

ALL SDS200 GPS modules I've sold to date are affected.

Some rechargeable external GPS units for models other than the SDS200 may be affected.

And some internal GPS installs (the more recent, the more likely) may be affected, beyond the ones done from the most recent batch.

I apologize for the inconvenience, and once I have a resolution from Ryax, I will work with everyone affected to resolve the problem.
YOU ARE WAY OVER MY HEAD, I JUST WORK ON CARS FOR A LIVING. I REALLY HATE HAVING TO DO THE SAME JOB TWICE BUT ITS A PART OF WHAT WE DO. I DON'T HAVE THE MOD IN MY RADIO (YET) BUT THANKS FOR MAKING PEOPLE AWARE AND BEING A STAND UP GUY!

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
I'm having issues with my GPS supplier right now. I've been in communication with them, and discovered that the entirety of my most recent order of modules is missing the flash chip needed to permanently store configuration changes. Without the chip, the module will revert back to the factory settings after the module has been powered off for a few days or weeks and the backup battery is depleted. Once the programmed settings are lost, the data from the GPS is no longer recognized by the scanner because of a firmware bug affecting all GPS-aware Uniden scanners described here:

Worse, I've discovered that an unknown number of modules from previous shipments are also missing the flash chip (I just pulled one from a scanner I originally worked back in January without it), so that means I've shipped an unknown number of scanners whose GPS modules will quit working (at least until Uniden fixes the firmware bug) the first time the GPS is off long enough to lose its programmend settings. So if you've had me mod a scanner in the last 8 months, there is a possibility that you have one of the affected modules, and should keep the scanner running as much as possible to prevent the module's backup battery fully charged.

ALL SDS200 GPS units I've sold have the same issue. If they are not used for a while, they will eventually revert back to their factory settings and the SDS200 won't recognize the data they send, even though it is correct NMEA sentences.

I'll post more when I know more.
Thanks for the heads-up, Jon. Glad you caught it before you shipped mine out.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I can report some progress. Reyax has agreed to send me a batch of the flash chips whose absence are causing the problem. Instead of mailing the modules to Taiwan and getting them mailed back, I can install the chips on modules as I get customer warranty returns, and do a quicker turnaround. I'll post again when I have an ETA for the chips.

dhcphoto

I stand behind the quality of my work and the products I sell, but if you look around, you should have no trouble finding satisfied customers willing to recommend me.
I sent you my scanner a month ago and have not heard anything or been able to make contact with you, please advise how to check on my sds100 mods.

dhcphoto

I can report some progress. Reyax has agreed to send me a batch of the flash chips whose absence are causing the problem. Instead of mailing the modules to Taiwan and getting them mailed back, I can install the chips on modules as I get customer warranty returns, and do a quicker turnaround. I'll post again when I have an ETA for the chips.
is this what is holding up the gps mod on my sds100? Can you please give me an update as I shipped it to you over a month ago and I have not heard anything from you.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
is this what is holding up the gps mod on my sds100? Can you please give me an update as I shipped it to you over a month ago and I have not heard anything from you.
Yes. I have a tracking number from Reyax for the shipment of flash chips, but it doesn't yet show an estimated delivery date. I will post more when I know more.

I apologize for the inconvenience, I know this sucks for everyone affected.

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
Jon has always done a great job with his mods; He's highly recommended, that's why I sent him my SDS100. With all the issues with chips and parts being scarce, I'm sure he will follow his usual protocol for sending completed scanners back to their owners. Jon informed me that he will email a request for payment for return shipping. I already paid for the mod when I shipped it to him.

Reactions: RRR

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Jon's problems are not of his own making. It's the same problems that have been cast upon car manufacturers and many others. The stuff they need just isn't there. I read that there were 33 ships waiting to dock in California. Jon's stuff and my laser module are probably there, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.