Uniden SDS-200 noise floor let's compare notes

Status
Not open for further replies.

radiyate

Retired sloth
I'm trying to characterize my SDS-200 background noise expectations by comparing notes with others.

Greetings, I have high terrestrial noise in my area, east Tucson AZ, rural, no strong or obvious emitters using bench spectrum analyzer.
Ham radio operators report high noise is normal in area and i'll not bore you with details and how they mitigate and I'm just looking for comparison data.
This is Not a Uniden tech support issue, just the facts of life, geography and physics. It is what it is (IIWII)...
Just looking for comparisons with others in different settings and areas.

My data and data using the stock telescoping antenna, stock wall wart power supply, area indoors, mode:AM, Squelch:OFF, as follows:

Frequency VHF-Low: 40MHZ, RSSI: -112dB
Frequency VHF-High: 155MHZ, RSSI: -104dB
Frequency UHF-Low: TODO, RSSI: TODO
Frequency UHF-High: TODO, RSSI: TODO

Would anyone like to play the noise-floor comparison game ;-)
If this is followed somewhere else please let me know.
Thank you for your time...

Ubbe

My data and data using the stock telescoping antenna, stock wall wart power supply, area indoors, mode:AM, Squelch:OFF, as follows:
That would only show your own RFI from the electronics you have in the house. You'll have to run the scanner on battery and switch off the mains coming in to the house to be able to see the enviromental noise in your location. The vaules would change depending of where you have your antenna, how far it is extracted and if it is tilted. To do a fair comparison you probably should use it in a car with the ignition off and a magnet mount and antenna on the roof that must be the same that everyone else uses to make any valid comparisons of enviromental noise levels.

/Ubbe

Kaleier1

That would only show your own RFI from the electronics you have in the house. You'll have to run the scanner on battery and switch off the mains coming in to the house to be able to see the enviromental noise in your location. T

Not only is Ubbe 100% correct, but by doing this you may find that you doesn't have high terrestrial noise. Funny you mention hams because there is a video on You Tube with the title "We are killing the amateur radio bands, ands here is how to fix it" where as guy does this exact thing and finds his clothes dryer was causing a lot of RFI when it wasn't even spinning.

If needed you could even buy a $20 USB SDR if you have a laptop and use it as a spectrum analyzer as you walk around to zero in on the noise source.

Status
Not open for further replies.