SDS100/SDS200: Uniden SDS100 Replacement plastic knob

Status
Not open for further replies.

a417

You should print some knobs up for the smaller knob used on the old BC780XLT models! People are always looking for that one.
I think I've seen eBay users wanting ridiculous prices for a 780XLT volume/power knob. Like $30 dollars.

Maybe someone has a sample they could send you if there is still any demand for the 780 knob.

This SDS100 knob looks good!
That would also fit on the 796D.

I've got a both and only 1 set of knobs, i'd be interested. @jonwienke, i'll break out the digital calipers later and get you what ever dimensions you would need. Sound good?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
That would also fit on the 796D.

I've got a both and only 1 set of knobs, i'd be interested. @jonwienke, i'll break out the digital calipers later and get you what ever dimensions you would need. Sound good?

I'll need:
  1. Shaft diameter
  2. Shaft thickness where the flat is milled off (e.g. if 1mm is milled off a 6mm shaft, the remaining thickness is 5mm)
  3. Length of the flat milled on the shaft (distance from the tip of the shaft to the point at which the flat ends and the shaft becomes completely round)
  4. Diameter of recess around the shaft in the scanner (if there is one)
  5. Depth of recess in the scanner (if there is one)
  6. Depth of hole in knob (distance from shaft opening to bottom of hole or any tab/protrusion intended to stop the shaft from going any deeper)
  7. Overall height of knob
  8. Base outer diameter of knob
  9. Recess diameter of knob (if knob extends into recess of scanner)
  10. Recess depth of knob (blahblahblah)
All dimensions in millimeters please.

If you can take photos of the factory knob and the scanner shaft area that would also be helpful.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Wouldn't it be so much much easier, and accurate, if someone sent you one of these knobs to duplicate?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Not necessarily, I would just be taking those measurements myself. As long as the measurements are accurate, it doesn't matter if I do them, or someone else.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Figured the machine would do all the measuring and replicating....? :unsure:

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
CNC machines don't scan existing parts to get their measurements. That's a completely different tool, and getting one capable of matching the accuracy of good calipers is big $$$$.

greggk

Premium Subscriber
So unfortunate that support for the awesome SDS series scanners is going down the toilet. Remember, the last time any issues with these were addressed was almost a year ago, and now we still have nothing on the horizon.

Hello Uniden?? Got a guy on here that is obviously qualified!
Yes, they do. He does not need my defense, but he has stepped up to the plate once occupied by Upman (RIP)

MisterLongwire

Amateur radio operator/QC tech for radio mfr.
Banned
Jonathan...I am impressed. However by no means can you drag me to live in Texas to work for Uniden America...ummm...hell no. Too damn hot and humid...and tornados. San Diego is fine by me

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Thank you, everyone.

Would there be any interest in knobs for the 436? Or other similar parts that aren't readily available?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I have two or three of the belt clips, and several dozen of the little plastic studs and screws I've removed from radios I've modded.

Status
Not open for further replies.