SDS100/SDS200: Uniden sds200 writable ftp account

n1moy

Endeavor to utilize the writable ftp account in my sds200. Attempting access using a Linux command-line interface. Have only been successful with the read account.

Connecting to the read account succeeds:
$ ftp 192.168.24.40
Connected to 192.168.24.40.
220 FTP Service ready for new user.
Name (192.168.24.40:thsk): read.user
331 User name okay, need password.
Password:
230 User logged in, proceed.

Connecting to the writable account fails:
$ ftp 192.168.24.40
Name (192.168.24.40:thsk): write.user
530 Not logged in.
ftp: Login failed

Have read in this forum that commands are required before and after access to the writable account. There is also reference to a "not scanning", ftp mode.

My questions:

1. What exactly is ftp mode, how is it enabled ?

2. How are 'GFM,UNIDEN <cr>' and 'EFM <cr>' commands sent from a CLI ?

Thanks in advance,

n1moy

Supposedly, enabling ftp mode is a requirement before successfully accessing the writable ftp account. I am asking how this is accomplished ?

Please note that the scanner is connected to my LAN. My post exhibits a successful connection to the sds200 ftp read account.

Thanks,

Last edited:

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
2. How are 'GFM,UNIDEN <cr>' and 'EFM <cr>' commands sent from a CLI ?
You are correct. To put the scanner into FTP (writable) Mode, the protocol command GFM,UNIDEN needs to be sent via RS-232.
I don't know the answer but I would do a online search "using the command line to send rs-232 data"

{edit} The protocol commands can also be sent via the scanner LAN using UDP but that may complicate matters.

Last edited:

n1moy

Unaware of any RS-232 serial port on the sds200. There are both type-A and micro USB ports. Unusual that Ethernet communication would also require commands via USB ?

How is writable ftp access enabled ? Looking for the procedure to send 'GFM,UNIDEN <cr>' and 'EFM <cr>' commands to the scanner.

Again, I am trying to use a CLI interface.

Thanks again,

jtwalker

Premium Subscriber
Unaware of any RS-232 serial port on the sds200. There are both type-A and micro USB ports. Unusual that Ethernet communication would also require commands via USB ?

How is writable ftp access enabled ? Looking for the procedure to send 'GFM,UNIDEN <cr>' and 'EFM <cr>' commands to the scanner.

Again, I am trying to use a CLI interface.

Thanks again,
You may be able to play, but you aren’t going to do anything serious without licensing software designed to use the ftp connection such as @ProScan.

n1moy

My only objective for the writable ftp account is to delete miroSD card files and folders. ProScan features are not required.

The first post in this thread illuminates that my primary problem is getting beyond the initial login. However, there are some posts in these areas that imply that this is possible. ?

Have successfully created a Linux bash script to automate ftp downloading of files using the read account. Access to the writable account might enable additional possibilities.

The sds200 has been around for more than a few years. It seems harebrained of Uniden to have not addressed this glitch in a firmware upgrade. At a minimum, detailed documentation should be provided about this deficiency.

Still seeking a solution,

Last edited:

a417

It seems harebrained of Uniden to have not addressed this glitch in a firmware upgrade. At a minimum, detailed documentation should be provided about this deficiency.

This is not a 'glitch in the firmware', no matter how you try to portray it. Try contacting uniden and talking to them about SDK and the legalese therein, that's likely what @ProScan had already done.

n1moy

Have a licensed copy of ProScan. Unknowing of its capability to manage microSD recorded files. Could someone point me to this functionality ?

The inability to login to the writable ftp account may not be linked to a firmware failure. However you look at it, a deficiency, the feature is unavailable.

Connection attempt to the writable account:
$ ftp 192.168.24.40
Name (192.168.24.40:thsk): write.user
530 Not logged in.
ftp: Login failed

Pursuing technical information,

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Maybe you knew this, but the read and write accounts need different user names.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
A FTP Client is needed for the readable and writable functions as you all ready know. Do a online search for "Linux FTP client"
To use the writable function, you need a RS 232 terminal emulator to send the GFM,UNIDEN command over the serial port to put the scanner in FTP mode.. The scanner normally is in Serial Port mode and the serial port data is transferred over the front USB connection. Do a online search for Linux rs-232 terminal emulator".

Last edited:

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Have a licensed copy of ProScan. Unknowing of its capability to manage microSD recorded files. Could someone point me to this functionality ?
The ProScan FTP Read & Write function is only for the favorites. It can't be used to read or write other folders.

n1moy

Thank you for this detail!

Thinking that UDP is the most promising route to the scanner using the LAN. Netcat [nc] is installed in my Linux distribution and could be utilized in a script. [version Debian patchlevel 1.218-4ubuntu1]

Is the correct port 9999 or something different in the sds200 ?

How might I expect the scanner's display to change after a successful, 'GFM,UNIDEN <cr>' ?

Then scanning would resume after a 'EFM <cr>' ?

Thanks again,

Last edited:

a417

How might I expect the scanner's display to change after a successful, 'GFM,UNIDEN <cr>' ?

on most devices that utilize serial communications, RS-232 commands are sent back down serial TX-RX lines and not output locally on the device.

n1moy

Not currently seeking a communication solution using the Universal Serial Bus. My last post detailed using the User Datagram Protocol via Ethernet.

The question about a change to the scanner's display refers to its state after exiting scanning, "Serial Port" mode.

Last edited:

n1moy

Scanned for open UDP ports on the sds200 scanner using NetCat. This result is only for the port range of 20-2000.

$ nc -z -v -u 192.168.24.40 20-2000
Connection to 192.168.24.40 53 port [udp/domain] succeeded!
Connection to 192.168.24.40 68 port [udp/bootpc] succeeded!
Connection to 192.168.24.40 520 port [udp/route] succeeded!
Connection to 192.168.24.40 1051 port [udp/*] succeeded!

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Thank you for this detail!

Thinking that UDP is the most promising route to the scanner using the LAN. Netcat [nc] is installed in my Linux distribution and could be utilized in a script. [version Debian patchlevel 1.218-4ubuntu1]

Is the correct port 9999 or something different in the sds200 ?

Then scanning would resume after a 'EFM <cr>' ?

Thanks again,

UDP Scanner port is always 50536
UDP computer port # changes with each connection

Untitled.png