Uniden SR30C

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
I was just wondering if it’s possible to listen to the tones that are transmitted to activate the emergency sirens. The scanner I have is a Uniden SR30C, and is able to listen to the frequencies 108-199, and 400-512 MHz. How would you listen to those tones?
Thanks so much

Hello,
I was just wondering if it’s possible to listen to the tones that are transmitted to activate the emergency sirens. The scanner I have is a Uniden SR30C, and is able to listen to the frequencies 108-199, and 400-512 MHz. How would you listen to those tones?
Thanks so much
It depends what radio frequencies, if any, the tones are transmitted on.

Do you have that information?

Here's the manual with the specs:

Edit:
That is an ANALOG ONLY scanner, so you can only monitor ANALOG frequencies within the Specs.

Uniden Bearcat SR30C, 500-Channel Compact Handheld Scanner, Close Call RF Capture, Turbo Search, PC programable, NASCAR, Racing, Aviation, Marine, Railroad, and Non-Digital Police, Fire, Public Safety

Last edited:
Hi, I can receive some of the police frequencies in my area, since they are using analogue. I haven't heard any fire yet, but that doesn't mean that they're on there. I did get an alert system test, from a county fire department about 10 miles away from me. That's a plus at least. Although I am not sure if my county does the siren test, since it is a small town, although the siren should be tested regardless, if there is one, which there should be.

Edit:
That is an ANALOG ONLY scanner, so you can only monitor ANALOG frequencies within the Specs.

Uniden Bearcat SR30C, 500-Channel Compact Handheld Scanner, Close Call RF Capture, Turbo Search, PC programable, NASCAR, Racing, Aviation, Marine, Railroad, and Non-Digital Police, Fire, Public Safety

Edit:

Edit:

Edit:

Well, I heard some tones, then an audible voice that said, “this is a test of the (County name) siren system,” or something along those lines. Then some more tones and that was it. It was on the fire ems I think. It was definitely not from NOAA. But yeah.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
I believe you are referring to audible tones transmitted on the same voice channel frequency as fire dispatch. So, yes, you will hear the tones on the same dispatch frequency, but while you may only hear the tones, the only thing that will tell you they are activating the sirens (and not something else) is right after you hear the tones being broadcast the sirens will activate. (The sirens are probably programmed to run for a set amount of time and shut down automatically.) They also use audible tones to unlock a container on fire apparatus where they store the master key to the lockboxes on commercial buildings. (While they may not be doing this in your local, it’s very common among FD’s.) This way the FD doesn’t need to carry a multitude of keys to unlock each business. They simply ask dispatch to unlock the container on board the apparatus and retrieve the master key that fits all the lockboxes on the wall of the commercial building or the fence lines around an industrial complex, located at the gates. It’s just a way of keeping secure the master key. Dispatch will record each time any apparatus box is accessed and request notification when the master key is returned to the same lockbox.

I don’t want to hijack this thread but the SR30C touts a 500 channel capacity as one of its major selling points. It strikes me as odd why that would be anything but overkill. Who would have a need for that many channels in a simple analogue only receiver? True, the price is cheap at around a $100 but I see it as a teaser radio. Once you get one it won’t be long before you realize there’s a lot more that it won’t receive! Of the reviews I’ve read, the major selling point seems to be the 500 channel capacity, much of which will never be used. Do your shopping wisely… first check what it is you want to hear and then choose a radio that will accommodate those choices.

wtp

since i kind of got lost here, what county are you looking for the tones you are talking about.
i did look a bit for the town beverly, and washington county in ohio, but did not find what i was looking for.
so EXACTLY what are you looking for ?

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
since i kind of got lost here, what county are you looking for the tones you are talking about.
i did look a bit for the town beverly, and washington county in ohio, but did not find what i was looking for.
so EXACTLY what are you looking for ?
I believe he was trying to determine if he could hear the tones used to activate the sirens for the Vol FD on his scanner. And the way he worded his inquiry leads me to believe he has already determined the sirens are activated by tones. So the question is are these activation tones sub-audible or audible? That question is not answered in the RR data normally, (it may be in the notes but I doubt it.) But a quick way to determine if the tones can be heard is to listen to the dispatch frequency before the sirens are activated… of course this would only work if they were using the dispatch frequency to activate the sirens. But are they using the dispatch frequency or another frequency, a dedicated frequency other than the dispatch frequency for siren activation? If that’s the case the frequency needs to be identified and then, using that frequency, listen for any tones before the sirens get activated. The OP should really address his question to the VFD who know the answer, not here.

Status
Not open for further replies.