• No

Votes: 42 39.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Wow, that's impressive, considering the software doesn't support TETRA decoding.

Absurdly false statement.

Sorry, SDR, must be old age dyslexia :p ....But after much trail and error, I got voice to pass quite nicely.

And yes, what I monitored in the short time I had in the area was not Encrypted.

And no, I don't care if you believe me or not.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Some appear to believe that Uniden is a public service, whose responsibility it is to appease the demands of radio scanner aficionados.

Well, ...ummm... So who else do they cater to with these scanners?

hamradionl

GTR8000
the reason for that is, Whistler / uniden not very active promo there radios in the rest of the world. For DMR the market in EU is small (only used for mostly rental freq) because most company services are switching to use Tetra.

mrscanner2008

Besides in the USA, Mexico's IRIS nationwide radio system uses TETRA, but it is fully encrypted and its communications are in Spanish anyway. I don't think that TETRA is used at all in Canada, I may be wrong.
In Canada, Quebec Province, Montreal STM (subway) will use TETRA. Also Quebec city edacs and provoice systems for cops, firefighters and bus will switch to TETRA this year.

Motik

GTR8000
the reason for that is, Whistler / uniden not very active promo there radios in the rest of the world. For DMR the market in EU is small (only used for mostly rental freq) because most company services are switching to use Tetra.
In my part of Europe (Paris area) most local police forces use DMR. Paris itself is using TETRA though.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
The only difference with TETRA, much is likely to be encrypted & listening to TETRA in general is not in the interests of the big M.
Moto builds TETRA systems. Moto builds P25 systems. Moto builds other systems as well, so...

hamradionl

Is Tetra a open ETSI standard?
Not owned by company like big M?
If Tetra is a open standard, is there a need to pay for a license fee like NXDN?

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Hytera

Hytera is one of the few companies worldwide that offers market-leading TETRA, DMR, and PDT technologies, and that offers products and solutions under all mainstream digital protocols. Hytera currently holds 480 issued patents, including 269 patents for digital products (DMR, TETRA, and PDT).Aug 28, 2017

Ubbe

The protocol are free to use. There are different flavors to it that each manufacturer adds to it to have something to promote over other brands. The ETSI standards needs to be followed so all standard features work independent of what brand of system and mobile/portables you use.

All members of the ETSI committee that comes from different manufactures contribute to the finances. But no license fees exists.

/Ubbe

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Uniden charges for “upgrades” for DMR and NXDN for the proprietary use of Mototrbo trunking (Motorola) and Kenwood NXDN trunking. Otherwise, the “open standards” could be free, as in Whistler, where you simply monitor the digital traffic without following the patented protocol. Seems TETRA could basically be “free”, but if there is a proprietary scheme used that is vendor patented, then that vendor would most likely require a license fee.

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
As with most Intellectual Property licensing questions, the answer may be complicated. Similar to DMR, Motorola has a TETRA Essentials Licensing program.

Motorola successfully kept TETRA out of the U.S. for years because of their patent claims.

Whether Uniden would consider licensing TETRA from Motorola (as they did with DMR), only they could answer that.

There is also the potential issue of having to license the ACELP vocoder used by TETRA. This patent was owned by Voiceage Corp but it may have expired in 2018.

In any event the R&D costs to Uniden for implementing TETRA will likely be substantial.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
If we could go back in time, we'd see the same type of posts in regards to MotoTRBO/DMR/NXDN. TETRA systems are active in the USA so the feasibility of adding the option is there. I look at it like Pro-Voice systems. I had no reason to purchase the upgrade so didn't find the need to. Since these systems are being phased out, I know the potential is not there. However with TETRA, it's the next upcoming digital protocol and O'Hare Airport in Chicago is licensed for one already and will be used once they migrate Public Safety to a new P25 system. So yes, it can happen..

RRR

Premium Subscriber
To passively scan an "open standard" isn't infringing on any intellectual rights. It is only a concern when you use proprietary protocol. "Open standard" isn't proprietary. Thus why Whistler isn't infringing on anything with DMR and NXDN.

And who is to say R&D is substantial for Tetra? We had BCD996P2's for years before we were told they were DMR capable.

slicerwizard

I love it when people include unwilling participants in their "we will be willing to pay." No, you will be willing to pay.
If you're unwilling to add a paid upgrade to your scanner, you don't have to.
And you've ignored the fact that the upgrade fee only covers licensing costs. Every buyer pays for the development costs.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
I love it when people include unwilling participants in their "we will be willing to pay." No, you will be willing to pay.

And you've ignored the fact that the upgrade fee only covers licensing costs. Every buyer pays for the development costs.

I'm not sure what you mean, but I have chosen not to add ProVoice to any of my scanners because the need isn't there. But I'm happy it is available if I ever find the need. Are you saying all of us have paid for the development costs in the price of the scanner even if we haven't purchased the upgrade? Please explain..

Reactions: RRR
Status
Not open for further replies.