Uniden's Stock Rubber Ducky Antenna Supplied With BCD436HP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I'm all too familiar with the typical poor performing stock supplied rubber ducky antenna that comes with hand-held scanners. For so many years I didn't even mount them on the scanner not even once. I always had something better to take it's place. I have a favorite for the 700-800MHz band, IE: Remtronix.

I'm trying to choose the best for both the 700-800MHz band and the VHF 108-137MHz aircraft band. In the past I always used the Diamond RH-77CA. It wasn't great on 700-800 but I thought it did a respectable job on the VHF Air Band. Someone here on RR did a sweep on one of them and found it to perform better at 400MHz and not as well in the VHFband. I was surprised to hear this but knowing this now I'm looking for a better option. Any suggestions? Preferably not one of the metal telescoping models.

Thanks

I'm not familiar with the 426HP.

Did that come before the 436HP?

Here's a thread about a better antenna for that:

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber

It was a typo doc! Of course I meant to type 436! I think it's rather obvious to most here on RR. You seem to get your kicks out of doing that quite often.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber

You're link takes me back to where I started. Did you even read my post other than to critizes it?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I'm all too familiar with the typical poor performing stock supplied rubber ducky antenna that comes with hand-held scanners. For so many years I didn't even mount them on the scanner not even once. I always had something better to take it's place. I have a favorite for the 700-800MHz band, IE: Remtronix.

I'm trying to choose the best for both the 700-800MHz band and the VHF 108-137MHz aircraft band. In the past I always used the Diamond RH-77CA. It wasn't great on 700-800 but I thought it did a respectable job on the VHF Air Band. Someone here on RR did a sweep on one of them and found it to perform better at 400MHz and not as well in the VHFband. I was surprised to hear this but knowing this now I'm looking for a better option. Any suggestions? Preferably not one of the metal telescoping models.

Thanks
I ordered the SMA version of the Remtronix 842 antenna, for use on my SDS100.

I've had it a little over two weeks, and so far, so good. Most of the large trunked systems here in the DFW Metro area use 700 & 800MHz frequencies, but Dallas (both the city & county) are, at this point, on Uhf (city) & Vhf-high (Dallas County). Smaller towns in southern Dallas County, and in Ellis County, are mostly Vhf-high, with four cities in Uhf NXDN trunked systems. The 842 antenna is better than the 820S on bands other than 700/800, and I have not lost any noticeable coverage on the 700/800MHz systems. The 842 will get a better trial when I run down to visit a close friend who lives about 100 miles west of the metro area. Just about everything in that area is Vhf-high, and I'll be able to see if I gain some of the more distant systems that are in the area.

Ubbe

Someone here on RR did a sweep on one of them and found it to perform better at 400MHz and not as well in the VHFband.
Sweep curves and antenna performance are not the same thing. The more the antenna works as a dummy load the better it will look in the sweeps. You have to make signal strength comparisons, like UPMan did with a couple of popular antennas and presented the difference in dB between them.

/Ubbe

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
The 842s appears to be a good overall antenna but is not superior to the 820s on 7 - 800. It works as a good overall antenna for the 436. Had mine a few weeks now. It fits perfectly on the SDS but has a small gap on the 436. You can get a rounded washer at Home Depot that works good for that Gap.

It's a good overall antenna for the 436!... and yes the stock antenna stinks. :)

We all make typos and Doc is famous for pointing them out, I'm sure no ill-will is intended in anyway.(y)

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Doc and his trusty red pen...lol
Exactly!

I forgot to mention guys I also compared it with the Austin condor which I've had forever. I did have to use the BNC adapter on both radios of course. The 842 did much better on 7 - 800 megahertz and is close to the 820 but if you're going for distance obviously a single band antenna does better. The reason I don't use the 820 as an overall antenna as it does work okay on UHF is because it is terrible on VHF High. I'm keeping the 842 on my 436, there is always a little compromise on a all-band antenna because there is no... all-band band antenna.

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone make a high performance VHF-high band specific duck-style antenna for the SDS100? I'm migrating from a 700/800 MHz simulcast major city to a 150/156 MHz simplex small town in a VHF repeater rural county.

Status
Not open for further replies.