Unintended radiators from hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

KIKINWING

Premium Subscriber
Sumtin' funny happened today..... As I was scanning the band from 220 to 408 mgh I noticed the AOR handheld registering a hit and the s-meter climbing as I put the antenna toward the window. HMMM, so I went to the next room same thing. (This on the second floor). I then went outside pointed the antenna same way and waited, and waited, and waited...... The sum total is this; 20 hits at my upstairs office and three downstairs and outside. The hits were static and non intelligable. I further played with the mode just to be sure. Because I primarily saw the s-meter grow pointed out the window made me initially think that I was collecting some sort of modulation through not one but two different windows. When I went outside I lost it all, or at least 17. My question. I have allot of electronics as well as wires in the wall, etc..etc.. Is it possible allot of the hits (17) could of come from unintended radiation from the other stuff (computer, printer, tv, home theatre, phones, etc...etc...)??? I dont think my home is that bugged!!! But then again... If anyone has any ideas I would appreiate it cause this interference will efffect all aspects of my monitoring. If there is any filter one is aware of please do tell. Thanks again.

mciupa

Canadian Database Admin
I'd blame the Wi-Fi . Bet you it's upstairs in your office, right?

zz0468

QRT
Banned
...Is it possible allot of the hits (17) could of come from unintended radiation from the other stuff (computer, printer, tv, home theatre, phones, etc...etc...)

Every device you mention is quite capable of generating interference. Try unplugging them one at a time to see if you can narrow it down.

KIKINWING

Premium Subscriber
Yes it is upstairs by wifi and that is a good idea unpluggin all the possible culprits.... But I also received same interference in the adjacent room pointing out the window. I own a 4 unit condo complex. Outside those windows is the electrical feed from the telephone pole. It isnt your average feed as it handles four units. Whereas it happened out both windows and the wire runs past both is it possible that the electrical wires could be the culprit? if so is there a filter for such an event?

mm

Things that I have chased down and found radiating on public safety frequencies, ham frequencies etc. you name it these things radiate:

After 25 years as an RF Engineer nothing surprises me anymore.

Alarm clocks, Doorbells, coffee makers, Florescent lights, Hot water heaters, Heating blankets, Battery chargers, Cable modems, Cable TV box's, Television sets, DVD players, VCR's, PC printers, PC's, lots of the newer style light bulbs, Wi-Fi (one of the worst radiators I have found are wi-fi devices, they are total crap as far as shielding), cordless phones, Automotive ignition systems, street lights, bug zappers.......

Take your pick just about everything and anything electronic can and will radiate and of course they usually spit out harmonics of internal clocks that are going to fall right on your favorite frequency/frequencies.

Mike

KIKINWING

Premium Subscriber
Things that I have chased down and found radiating on public safety frequencies, ham frequencies etc. you name it these things radiate:

After 25 years as an RF Engineer nothing surprises me anymore.

Alarm clocks, Doorbells, coffee makers, Florescent lights, Hot water heaters, Heating blankets, Battery chargers, Cable modems, Cable TV box's, Television sets, DVD players, VCR's, PC printers, PC's, lots of the newer style light bulbs, Wi-Fi (one of the worst radiators I have found are wi-fi devices, they are total crap as far as shielding), cordless phones, Automotive ignition systems, street lights, bug zappers.......

Take your pick just about everything and anything electronic can and will radiate and of course they usually spit out harmonics of internal clocks that are going to fall right on your favorite frequency/frequencies.

Mike

So we be kinda screwed?? Or are there filters to handle an issue(s) like this??

nomad66

I had the same problem with interference around 150 to 160 mhz. The worst culprit was my DLink wired router. I replaced it with a Linksys wireless router and it solved the issue.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
I believe he means that if you point a telescoping antenna (or any "whip" antenna), actual reception peaks are going to be everywhere except directly toward either end of the antenna. Either end of the antenna is a "null" (i.e. point of minimum reception).

Something like:
pattern.jpg

(but not as pretty)

So, if you point the antenna at the window and get receive the interference, look up, down, left, and right (but not out the window or behind you) for the source.

Last edited:

KIKINWING

Premium Subscriber
I believe he means that if you point a telescoping antenna (or any "whip" antenna), actual reception peaks are going to be everywhere except directly toward either end of the antenna. Either end of the antenna is a "null" (i.e. point of minimum reception).

Something like:

(but not as pretty)

So, if you point the antenna at the window and get receive the interference, look up, down, left, and right (but not out the window or behind you) for the source.

Thank U UP MAN.... Lesson learned. While I have your ear, seeing you are with Uniden, an off topic question if I may? I have an 895xlt. I love the big box feel on a budget price as well as ease of use. I want to buy a 898T but will only if I can answer this question affirmatively. The 895 only allows you to trunk track in ne bank at a time. Does the 898 open that up so that I can Trunk tark in all the banks at the same time? Thanks and I hope you realize I didnt mean to sand bag you.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Correct. (But in this case, the horse hasn't ridden that jockey in a long time...i.e. I've not powered up a BC898T myself in maybe 5 years...so other folks who use the scanner are going to be a lot "fresher" on it.)

Status
Not open for further replies.