UniTrunker 13th Public Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.

gator

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Messages
227
Reaction score
3
Location
Mitchell,SD
Hey Rick
This program here has finally got my 246(second radio) to tune but all I am getting right now is that noise it make before a transmission and no audio of yet but still am playing with it.
I am using Win me by the way so thanks for the fix on that(probably why is wasnt workng before).I have went through and picked the talkgroups I want to listen to but not the radio ids.Will start with this question and troubleshoot from there do I need the radio ids set to listen or just the talkgroups.
Thanks for your work Rick
Monty
 

SCPD

QRT
Joined
Feb 24, 2001
Messages
0
Reaction score
116
Location
Virginia
Hi Monty;
gator said:
I have went through and picked the talkgroups I want to listen to but not the radio ids. Will start with this question and troubleshoot from there do I need the radio ids set to listen or just the talkgroups.
Just the talkgroups - assuming you've set your listening filter to Listen=Yes. If you want to catch I-calls from a specific radio, set the radio's Listen to Yes. You can also set it to Listen=ignore in which case setting Listen to "Yes" for a talkgroup or radio id won't matter.

I suspect there is still a problem with the program correctly controlling a '246. If you have the time, run the Tuner program and send me a log of the results.

-rick
 
Last edited:

gator

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Messages
227
Reaction score
3
Location
Mitchell,SD
Here you go rick hopefully this helps
 

Attachments

  • Tuner.zip
    442 bytes · Views: 80

PiccoIntegra

Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
530
Reaction score
4
Location
North Texas
Speaking of correctly controlling, any chance we can get a working version for the OPTO interface? I picked up a 2006/OS456 recently, and was hoping to use UniTrunker with it.

I'm not sure how familiar you are with the OPTO interface. I've attached a log file, including comments I made for my own debugging. Just ignore them if they're not useful to you. If there is anything I can do to help, feel free to ask.
 
Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Joined
Feb 24, 2001
Messages
0
Reaction score
116
Location
Virginia
Hi gator;
gator said:
Here you go rick hopefully this helps
Thank you. From the short log - it actually looks okay. I need to review the BPF command. I'm wondering if this is a squelch or volume issue ... or something else.
-rick
 

gator

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Messages
227
Reaction score
3
Location
Mitchell,SD
Thanks for taking a look Rick
I really dont know I will keep on trying on my end maybe something will get it to work
 

gator

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Messages
227
Reaction score
3
Location
Mitchell,SD
So what did you find out so far BPF(whatever that is lol) command?
Just thought I would let you know that when I run tuner the volume and squelch dont work but it does everthingelse that was in the log I sent you.
 

SCPD

QRT
Joined
Feb 24, 2001
Messages
0
Reaction score
116
Location
Virginia
The BPF (turn key BeeP ofF) command ... which doesn't apply to that model so it's a bug.
-rick
 

Clark

Member
Joined
Sep 2, 2002
Messages
156
Reaction score
0
Location
Venice, Calif
UniTrunker and OptoScan456

PiccoIntegra said:
Speaking of correctly controlling, any chance we can get a working version for the OPTO interface? I picked up a 2006/OS456 recently, and was hoping to use UniTrunker with it.

I'm not sure how familiar you are with the OPTO interface. I've attached a log file, including comments I made for my own debugging. Just ignore them if they're not useful to you. If there is anything I can do to help, feel free to ask.

Am I correct in interpreting the above message that the OS456 doesn't work with Unitrunker. I thought I saw it listed in the documentation as one of the approved scanners.

Clark
 

SCPD

QRT
Joined
Feb 24, 2001
Messages
0
Reaction score
116
Location
Virginia
Hi Clark;
Clark said:
Am I correct in interpreting the above message that the OS456 doesn't work with Unitrunker.
That appears to be the case.
Clark said:
I thought I saw it listed in the documentation as one of the approved scanners.
It's just another CI-V radio so it should work. Most of these radios I've never personally laid hands on so I'm dependent upon this type of feedback to find issues. You're the second person to come forward with an OPTO. Between you, myself and Picco - we should be able to make this work. From Picco's log it doesn't look too far off.

On a related note, I'd like to support the OpcoCom's BitBanger feature but again - I don't have (all) these toys. If enough people speak up, we'll make it happen.

-rick
 

Clark

Member
Joined
Sep 2, 2002
Messages
156
Reaction score
0
Location
Venice, Calif
OptoScan456 and Unitrunker

rfmobile said:
Hi Clark;
That appears to be the case.
It's just another CI-V radio so it should work. Most of these radios I've never personally laid hands on so I'm dependent upon this type of feedback to find issues. You're the second person to come forward with an OPTO. Between you, myself and Picco - we should be able to make this work. From Picco's log it doesn't look too far off.

On a related note, I'd like to support the OpcoCom's BitBanger feature but again - I don't have (all) these toys. If enough people speak up, we'll make it happen.

-rick

My OptoScan456 works perfectly with the original Trunker so I was
surprised (and confused) when I was unable to get it to work with Unitrunker. It just holds on the first activity and doesn't clear when that activity is completed.
Anyway I switched to using a BC250D as the system now does have digital TGs and now everything is fine.

Clark
 

SCPD

QRT
Joined
Feb 24, 2001
Messages
0
Reaction score
116
Location
Virginia
Clark and Picco;

I found the problem with the OS456 - I confused some of the OPTO and OPTOCOM commands. The next release should fix this.

-rick
 

PiccoIntegra

Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
530
Reaction score
4
Location
North Texas
Very good, I appreciate you looking into this.

I kind of figured it was something like that, mixed up commands. But the 0x14 0x01 command(tunes voice & tunes control) was throwing me off a bit. I don't have that in my OPTOCOM doc.. What was that supposed to be doing there? Do you have all the Optoelectronic PDF docs for the 456/535/Optocom?

If you want me to test it before the next release, you can send the compiled exe to me. :wink:

BTW, there is an Optocom receiver for sale in the Classified section: $450 / BEST OFFER
 
Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Joined
Feb 24, 2001
Messages
0
Reaction score
116
Location
Virginia
PiccoIntegra said:
But the 0x14 0x01 command(tunes voice & tunes control) was throwing me off a bit. I don't have that in my OPTOCOM doc.. What was that supposed to be doing there?
It was supposed to read the current volume setting and save it. That should have been a 0x7F 0x14 command so it was wrong in two ways (malformed command and wrong radio).

Do you have all the Optoelectronic PDF docs for the 456/535/Optocom?
I have the '456 and OptoCom specs. I do not have the '535 specs but the OptoCom supports '535 emulation so I think the OptoCom specs are really a superset of the '535.

If you want me to test it before the next release, you can send the compiled exe to me. :wink:
Deal. I think the squelch detect needs some work - it you're up to it.

BTW, there is an Optocom receiver for sale in the Classified section: $450 / BEST OFFER
The OptoCom is appealing for it's built-in LTR support. However - for Motorola and EDACS the BitBanger design suffers from one oversight because it only supports two speeds - 3600 and 9600. By setting the BitBanger rate to 9600 bits per second - I can decode both EDACS narrow and wide. This works because 9600 baud is an integer multiple of 4800 baud (ignore every other bit). For Motorola (and possibly MPT1327) I can switch to 3600 baud so I can't simultaneously detect all four protocols at once. If the BitBanger had supported either (a) an arbitrary bit rate or (b) a bit rate of 288,000 bits per second (least common multiple of 9600 and 3600 baud) - I could have supported instant simultaneous protocol detection with this radio.

The radio has some nice capabilities - adding support for detecting DTMF digits on a patched phone calls would be neat to do. On the other hand, the OS456/535/OptoScan are legacy models - I'm struggling to support some of the newer, current production stuff.

-rick
 

PiccoIntegra

Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
530
Reaction score
4
Location
North Texas
rfmobile said:
I have the '456 and OptoCom specs. I do not have the '535 specs but the OptoCom supports '535 emulation so I think the OptoCom specs are really a superset of the '535.
Oh OK. I was going to provide you with a link to the archive.org site, that has a cached copy of the spec PDF files. In fact, I will anyway, just in case there is something there you'd like to archive for your tech specs. 05/21/2000 . Here is another link 10/06/2000 that has a copy of Optocom's control/checkout Utility with C++ source code. It's the fourth link down the page. I doubt there is anything in there revolutionary. It sounds as if you have a good grasp of the Opto stuff... The 535 is identical to the 456, with the exception of two addition commands. They are Enable search mode(0x7F 0x0F), and Disable search mode(0x7F 0x10). For that reason, I would instruct people with the 535 to use the OPTO, rather than the OPTOCOM interface.

rfmobile said:
Deal. I think the squelch detect needs some work - it you're up to it.
Hey no problem, glad to help.. and looking forward to tracking with my old stuff!

rfmobile said:
On the other hand, the OS456/535/OptoScan are legacy models - I'm struggling to support some of the newer, current production stuff.
I definitely understand that. I wouldn't get too crazy with the Opto interfaces. I probably wouldn't have even said anything about this, if UniTrunker hadn't already intended to utilize it. So I appreciate the effort! ;)

Something to keep in mind;
  • The 456 doesn't automatically switch band modes when sending the frequency to the scanner. This will have to be done if the parked frequency isn't in the same mode as the intended monitored frequencies. An alternative would be to mute(Turn the speaker off) which disables all audio, including the earphone.
  • You can't park the radio on 0000.0000

There isn't anything else I can think of off the top of my head. I'll wait until we test it, and go from there.
 
D

DaveNF2G

Guest
PiccoIntegra said:
[*]The 456 doesn't automatically switch band modes when sending the frequency to the scanner. This will have to be done if the parked frequency isn't in the same mode as the intended monitored frequencies.

The Uniden BC-296D has the same shortcoming for computerized trunk tracking. I have to put it on a NFM memory channel manually before firing up any of the *Trunker programs or I can end up listening to trunked radio traffic in AM or wide FM mode.

UniTrunker et al need to include an explicit mode instruction with the voice frequency assignment for the 296 and other receivers that operate the same way.
 

gator

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Messages
227
Reaction score
3
Location
Mitchell,SD
are there any updates on how we are going to fix this 246 issue.Is this a problem I have on my end or yours?
 

SCPD

QRT
Joined
Feb 24, 2001
Messages
0
Reaction score
116
Location
Virginia
Hi Monty - I'm sure it's a bug ... I just need the tools (like an actual radio) to fix the problem.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top