Unitrunker Descriptors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Airdorn

Well I drilled a hole in my Uniden 996T scanner and installed a discriminator jack.

I installed Unitrunker, set the options, and I get some activity.

The top half of the screen gives some strange data.. I changed the option to 'decimal', and now I get the talkgroup ID's that match what I see on the RR database along with some other data that doesn't seem very useful.

But the lower half of the screen, where you can select what can be displayed or whatever, remains empty.

Where are the alpha descriptors that describe what the talkgroups are, like I see in the pretty picture in the RR wiki? I was gonna use Unitrunker to give me some insight on some unknown talkgroups that aren't in the RR databse.

This is a fresh install -- haven't downloaded any data from anywhere. I had hoped to use this program to discover new talkgroups and give the info to the RR databse. If thi sisn't how you do it, how does the people that maintaint he RR database get the descriptions of talkgroups of specific trunked systems?

Airdorn

PS - Great program, btw. :)

Airdorn

Oh, I guess talkgroup descriptors aren't something that is picked-up from the signal, but instead, something that is downloaded from sites like RR or entered by me.

What is unitrunker used for then, if not to match mysterious talkgroups on a system to descriptions? How are talkgroup descriptors discovered? All the ones in the RR database appear very well organized. How were THOSE discovered?

I doubt I can call the local police and get them to give me a detailed list.

SCPD

QRT
Airdorn said:
Oh, I guess talkgroup descriptors aren't something that is picked-up from the signal, but instead, something that is downloaded from sites like RR or entered by me.
Correct.

What is unitrunker used for then, if not to match mysterious talkgroups on a system to descriptions? How are talkgroup descriptors discovered?
It gives you an overall picture of system activity that goes beyond the limits of listening to one call at a time. That extra details can be used as an aid to identify new talkgroups or further clarify the use/purpose of already-known groups.

Example:

You've identified one talkgroup as "Patrol 1" by listening to calls. You've also identified the radio id used by the dispatcher. A different radio contacts dispatch. The dispatcher tells someone in the field to "Switch to channel X and await further instructions". You see the unknown radio affiliate to a different talkgroup. You now know what the "inside" name of this other talkgroup.

All the ones in the RR database appear very well organized. How were THOSE discovered?
Mostly by listening.

Airdorn

So like, I could have 2 conventional scanners and a computer running unitrunker, and I'd essentially have a trunking scanner!

So even if an older trunking scanner goes obsolete because of rebanding or whatever else comes down the pipe, as long as programs like unitrunker are up to date, then all isn't lost!

I'm finally getting it!! Mom always said I wasn't the sharpest stick in the bunch. :)

Cool program!

Status
Not open for further replies.