Upcoming Encryption

miked9372

Premium Subscriber
MKT PD main talk group to go encrypted this spring along with Fire in the future

signguy10

Did UMPD go encrypted or is there just not a feed provider covering the talkgroup? I don't see any activity on UMPD talkgroups.

c_gutta

Premium Subscriber
I am visiting Minneapolis this week and deciding if I should bring my SDS100. Is Hennepin County ARMER encrypted?

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Mpd has main dispatch open still. Not sure about hcso or the surrounding towns in hc. Sppd and rcso dispatch are open.over in Ramsey

stmills

Minneapolis Police, Metro Transit Police and State Patrol are the only police dispatch not encrypted in Hennepin County, Fire and EMS remain unencrypted.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Remember you must be a ham to pack that scanner mobile if I remember correctly same as here in IN

mmtstc

Ø
Premium Subscriber
I see HCMC EMS has new talkgroups, but unencrypted as of now. Are they switching shortly?
It's unclear to me why they switched from 2130 to 11290 for their main dispatch. They had them on multiselect for a couple days like Bloomington did for a couple of months before Bloomington switched to strapped ENC. Their paramedic radios have no encrypted interop talkgroups in them (STAC13/14) in them which are required under standards if the radio is equipped with hardware encryption, which leads me to think that they may have vacated that talkgroup until they turn over their radio fleet in like 3 years (they replace portables every 7 years IIRC and i think that they replaced their initial APX6000's with new APX6000's shortly before the APX next gen radios came out, not sure how often they swap mobiles, but mobiles will usually work fine for 10-15 years), and will replace with encryption upgraded radios for all staff. In the mean time, perhaps they will change 2130 to strapped ENC, and they multiselect 2130 and 11290 as they return back 'home,' which will coincide with the new AES256 ATACs getting fully deployed and any bugs flushed out.
Remember you must be a ham to pack that scanner mobile if I remember correctly same as here in IN
Or have an exemption granted by a BCA mobile monitor permit (BCA Home - Mobile Monitor Permits) or be affiliated with an authorized ARMER user and able to produce identification (but i think the latter only applies to subscriber equipment).