Upcoming Encryption

BinaryMode

Forward this to the Minnesota officials that set the stage for encryption. Indicate a 5 minute delay is reasonable for dispatch and that openness with the public and the Press is warranted for the better public good and free people of the United States, i.e this isn't Communist China. You can help create your e-mail or letter with ChatGPT. Connect your Agency to the Public

I have noticed that 3 control channels (852.0875) (853.3625) and (853.7625) for the Ramsey County site have not been online for the last week or so. Only one is working (853.7125). I hope they are not planning to do the big "E".

DVINTHEHOUSEMAN

Up North
If you're talking about channels actually transmitting control information, only one control channel is on at a time. If you aren't seeing those frequencies at all in the rotation for voice traffic, it's possible they are down for maintenance.

If you're talking about channels actually transmitting control information, only one control channel is on at a time. If you aren't seeing those frequencies at all in the rotation for voice traffic, it's possible they are down for maintenance.
Yes that is correct, I am not seeing them at all in the rotation. Also I use a P25RX Bluetail scanner and it allows you to test control channels or just use one at a time as a primary.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I have noticed that 3 control channels (852.0875) (853.3625) and (853.7625) for the Ramsey County site have not been online for the last week or so. Only one is working (853.7125). I hope they are not planning to do the big "E".

Encryption does not come into play with respect to the control channel. Rather it is on the voice channels. Otherwise, you could just program the system on your scanner as a conventional one and listen to a non-trunked version and hear "stuff". That defeats the purpose of encrypting.

DVINTHEHOUSEMAN

Up North
Encryption does not come into play with respect to the control channel.

Encrypted control channels (formally called Link Layer Encryption) is actually part of the P25 spec and encrypts the control messages making it impossible for any radio without the proper key to follow trunked traffic from the control channel. Encrypted radio ID's and other pertinent information is also possible on the voice traffic itself, again, part of the spec. No manufacturer currently supports it that I know of, however.
...you could just program the system on your scanner as a conventional one and listen to a non-trunked version and hear "stuff". That defeats the purpose of encrypting.

Whether or not it's programmed as trunked makes zero difference as to the encrypted traffic being decipherable or not. The voice frame data is what's encrypted, so you will hear the digital garbage or hear nothing depending on what model you have.

It doesn't defeat the purpose of encrypting.

I guess my main concern is that Ramsey county was just using only one control channel while they were preparing to switch over to a "new" system. Hopefully it is just site maintenance.

sonm10

Central MN Monitor
Premium Subscriber
Can we please keep the topic of this thread to which agencies have or have not encrypted. The last several posts have been off topic and should have started a different thread. Thanks

stmills

From what I am seeing using DSDplus- control is 853.7125 and 852.0875, 853.3625, 853.7625 all are identifying as alternate control channels.

KD0FEO

Wright County, MN
Feed Provider
It appears that wright county has made the switch today and went encrypted. TrunkingRecorder shows last LE1 transmission at 11:47am which was two hours ago. I'm not home to confirm this but many sources tell me that it's been done.

stmills

I can’t log Wright County system but off of Hennepin West I am seeing increased activity on Law4E but nothing else new yet. For those who log Wright county how often is Law4E usually used?