Upcoming Encryption

Bralmo1

Apparently Washington County is now encrypted according to reports
I called the Washington county communication center this morning and they confirmed that they encrypted all law-enforcement in Washington county. It’s funny that you can still listen to Minneapolis Ramsay County and Saint Paul police but you cannot listen to Washington county which mostly consists of wealthier suburbs, I wonder who decided they had the power to just go ahead and flip a switch overnight.

stmills

This isn’t something that just happens overnight. Considerable planning takes place with the purchase of new equipment, reprogramming of equipment, testing equipment and coverage. The system administrator along with the user committees make these decisions as the groups that govern the radio systems.

GTO_04

I called the Washington county communication center this morning and they confirmed that they encrypted all law-enforcement in Washington county. It’s funny that you can still listen to Minneapolis Ramsay County and Saint Paul police but you cannot listen to Washington county which mostly consists of wealthier suburbs, I wonder who decided they had the power to just go ahead and flip a switch overnight.
I am seeing the same thing with Indianapolis (IMPD) and the surrounding suburbs. Indy, which has a much worse crime problem, is in the clear, while the surrounding suburbs are almost all fully encrypted for law enforcement.

GTO_04

Bralmo1

This isn’t something that just happens overnight. Considerable planning takes place with the purchase of new equipment, reprogramming of equipment, testing equipment and coverage. The system administrator along with the user committees make these decisions as the groups that govern the radio systems.
Well, then it’s pretty sad that group of 5 to 10 people can just decide that they’re gonna lock the public out of what the police are doing because they’re purchasing new equipment and reprogramming it, etc.

Bralmo1

Have read some of these agencies are using covid funds to pay for these radio upgrades.
Hopefully somebody will come up with something so that we can listen to law enforcement. I have zero interest in listening to the fire department or EMS. It’s not why I bought this scanner and I feel like I just flush 600 bucks down the toilet.

stmills

Scanning of Law Enforcement is not coming back anytime soon- Federal data security requirements are a top concern, Officer safety and the proliferation of scanner apps being used to commit crimes is a big issue that has to be dealt with. There are at least 2 people from the Minnesota Radio Reference group who have been arrested for using scanners in the commission of crimes and others who have come here to get info to monitor the police while committing crimes.

bearcatrp

Scanning of Law Enforcement is not coming back anytime soon- Federal data security requirements are a top concern, Officer safety and the proliferation of scanner apps being used to commit crimes is a big issue that has to be dealt with. There are at least 2 people from the Minnesota Radio Reference group who have been arrested for using scanners in the commission of crimes and others who have come here to get info to monitor the police while committing crimes.
Hope they got hit with the every once of fine/incarceration.

Bralmo1

So we all get to get screwed then. Wow that’s great. Anyone wanna buy a useless SDS100?

bearcatrp

Yeah it sucks PD will go way of the doe doe bird. Crapola happens. The P25 capable radios can pick up other things within its frequency coverage. One thing to note though. When a big event happens that require outside help from other agencies outside there normal city/county, you MAY be able to listen in when they try those cross patches that sometimes doesn't work and have to go to the older system so the outside agency can talk to who they are helping. Not saying it will always be this way but it worked for me when george floyd crap went down in twin cities. Minneapolis PD is ecrypted but the outside agencies helping were not. I listened to most of what went down. But I don't know much about these new radios how easy it is to bring in outside connectivity. Time will tell. For now, enjoy it while you can.

BinaryMode

The FBI and MNBCA have recently determined that any CJI (criminal justice information - information stored on state and federal criminal databases, like NCIC, gang files, etc.) disseminated over the radio must be encrypted, just like it has to be over data networks, so I fully all law enforcement to be encrypted in the coming years ( ref. https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/ecn/AnalyticsReports/BCA Radio Encryption Presentation - 01.24.2022.pdf )

In my area that's usually delivered via TAC-2 or the data channel. It can be on dispatch though, but rules can be changed, openness can be arranged, and a 5 minute delay feed for dispatch can be created, Chicago does this for crying' out load.

Is it any wonder why people have absolutely no faith in their government or for that matter law enforcement anymore?

It's one thing to be a scanist and b**ch, but quite another when it blocks the first amendment, i.e freedom of the press and their ability to conduct business as usual without obstruction.

Someone noble and with deep pockets needs to step in me thinks.

wogggieee

Premium Subscriber

"Officer safety" is a funny one. In all my years of monitoring I can only remember one instance of a suspect monitoring their communication and I rarely if ever see examples cited when they encrypt.