Upcoming MW DX Test

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
To my knowledge, this is the first (or nearly so) of the 2020-21 DX season. From Les Rayburn, N1LF via World of Radio...transcription errors are entirely mine

The Courtesy Program Committee (CPC) of the International Radio Club of America (IRCA) and the National Radio Club are pleased to announce the following long-duration DX Test:

From Duke Hamann, Chief Engineer, WNJC 1360 AM in Washington Twp, New Jersey:

For the second time in the station`s history, this Saturday September 12 at 12 AM EDT till 6AM EDT and Sunday September 13 at 12 AM EDT to 6 AM EDT WNJC 1360 AM in Washington Twp, NJ will be running a 2 night DX test.

0400-1000 UTC

We will be running our full daytime power of 5000 watts. Listen for sweep tones, CW Morse code and other material created by Les Rayburn to hear our station over the noise. Reception reports can be sent to KC2DUX@duxpond.com.

Duke will provide a QSL card if you email and specifically ask for them be, otherwise it may be a simple email reply. If you want a paper QSL, it will require an SASE (self addressed stamped envelope...mja).

Paul Walker, CPC member passes along a personal appeal: “Give Duke time to reply. He’s a busy guy."

The NRC and IRCA would like to thank Duke Hamann and the owners of WNJC for this unique DX Test. Long duration DX tests are very rare, especially on multiple nights. This is a real opportunity for brief openings to large parts of the world to have a shot at receiving this test.

WA8ZTZ

Boy....1360 is a "local" or "regional" frequency. That'll be a toughie from here!

Jim

This will be a real challenge, over 60 stations on 1360 and at least a half dozen of them between me and NJ.
However, an even bigger concern is their pattern which is mostly beamed southeast heating up the Atlantic.
Anyway, thanks to the OP for the info, gonna give it a try.

WA8ZTZ

OK, hearing them this morning here in Michigan.
Down in the basement shack heard some sweep tones and what sounded like CW on the portable but couldn't make out the characters, too much competition from the jumble of other stations on freq. Went to the comm RX in SSB mode with 100' PAR EF-SWL antenna.
Heard some sweep tones @0503 followed by VVV DE WNJC WNJC… then they faded out.
Came back @ 0509 with sweep tones again followed by a solid 1000 cycle tone for a minute then more sweep tones until CW ID @ 0514 along with QSB. Sounded like some fast beeps @ 0515 followed by sweep tones, solid tone, sweep tones until 0520 with CW ID:
VVV DE WNJC WNJC WNJC WNJC sent twice, then back to solid tone and sweep tones.
All times are EDT.
So, much to my surprise, a success.
TNX again to the OP for the heads up and to the staff at WNJC.

a29zuk

OK, hearing them this morning here in Michigan.
Down in the basement shack heard some sweep tones and what sounded like CW on the portable but couldn't make out the characters, too much competition from the jumble of other stations on freq. Went to the comm RX in SSB mode with 100' PAR EF-SWL antenna.
Heard some sweep tones @0503 followed by VVV DE WNJC WNJC… then they faded out.
Came back @ 0509 with sweep tones again followed by a solid 1000 cycle tone for a minute then more sweep tones until CW ID @ 0514 along with QSB. Sounded like some fast beeps @ 0515 followed by sweep tones, solid tone, sweep tones until 0520 with CW ID:
VVV DE WNJC WNJC WNJC WNJC sent twice, then back to solid tone and sweep tones.
All times are EDT.
So, much to my surprise, a success.
TNX again to the OP for the heads up and to the staff at WNJC.

Way to go! I just couldn't stay up, then forgot about it when I woke up in the morning.
Did you send an e-mail to get a QSL?

Jim

WA8ZTZ

Jim,

Got a prompt e-mail reply from Duke.
They plan to be on again tonight (actually early Sunday morning).
Hopefully the forecast T-storms will be out of here by then.
So, you may have another chance at it. ;)

WA8ZTZ

They're back again this morning @ 0500 EDT (0900Z) with same format...
solid tone, sweep tones, CW ID.

a29zuk

Yes, woke up about a half hour ago. Got a copy of it for a while. It had faded out on me now. The Green Bay station is loud.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.