update on lubbock p25

Status
Not open for further replies.

lild806

Premium Subscriber
so I noticed that there were some new talk groups added on to Lubbock's p25 system. does anyone have any further updates as far as new talkgroups on the system or additional frequencies... there are still a few talkgroups that I don't have identified one of which is 20409

Last edited:

twobytwo

The chart is showing 20409 as Water Control. Guess I;ll have to wait til Christmas to get a TDMA scanner . From looking at the new system I,m missing ALOT of radio traffic and some of the TGs have gone silent on the EDACS system.

FireJustin

I have an extremely long list of information about this radio system. I will try to make sure, somehow, that all of the talkgroups I have identified are all in the database.

twobytwo

FireJustine, Have you id'ed TGs by trial &error or are they doing teston them? Also going to send you a PM.

FireJustin

For the most part, they were identified by one of the two main ways:
Mostly, I've been running two instances of Unitrunker side by side for over a year. I was able to use two scanners plus two instances of Unitrunker to identify known talkgroups and cross reference them against what I was hearing and/or seeing on the 436hp and P25 instance of Unitrunker.
After that, I was able to use radios assigned to me at work to identify (via unitrunker) many of the less-commonly used TGIDs

twobytwo

Forgot to add LPD sector1 is north of 34th ST and sector 2 is south of 34th ST.

FireJustin

I did go through my list of TGIDs. I missed some yesterday with my update, and submitted 3 more today. For those who are too impatient to wait:
20350 - LIA Airport Parking
20436 - LP&L Plant Control Room
20580 - Wolfforth Fire

That leaves quite a few TGIDs that are unidentified... But I have been having difficulty getting Unitrunker to work on the EDACS system... I'll keep working at it.

Last edited:

lild806

Premium Subscriber
i didnt think the lubbock airport had anything to do with parking ive actually seen the radios that they use out at the airport from one of the police officers out there since i work there and he didnt have parking in his radio

twobytwo

Fire Justin, PM me the unidentified TGs & I'll see if any them line up with my EDACS table. I have several that arent listed on this site

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
I was looking at the license for the system and noticed that there are new repeaters in Idalou and Ransom Canyon.On another note, Why is Slaton the only town in the county that does not use the Mutual Radio system? WQRV491 (CITY OF LUBBOCK - Radio Shop) FCC Callsign Details

Those are "micro nodes" that got put in to extend coverage. County SO started talking about that one over a year ago.

I'll raise you a question, why did Lubbock wash their hands of having anything to do with the Permian system when it was being built?

FireJustin

I don't know the situation between the City of Slaton and the Lubbock City/County... They've always been the odd one out.

Next. There have been continuous coverage issues with this system. A lot of these problems were billed as 'growing pains' from the beginning - think basements or large structures like dormitories - and factor in the sheer size of the county versus the terrain features like the canyons. I don't operate in those two specific areas, so I can't speak if there are any improvements in those areas.

As far as the Permian system, I believe it's a distance / Council of Government issue. Lubbock is in the South Plains Association of Governments, and the Permian is, well, the Permian Basin Regional Council of Governments. I don't believe there is a whole lot of crossing boundary lines when it comes to interoperability or cooperation (especially where money and grant funding is concerned). One of the questions we should ask is - Why doesn't the South Plains Association of Governments (SPAG) create a true regional system like the Panhandle Regional Planning Commission and the Permian Basin Regional Planning Commission?

twobytwo

W5PKY,
Here is a map of what FireJustin is talking about.
https://www.txregionalcouncil.org/display.php?page=regions_map.php
I can answer your question with 2 words: IT'S POLITICS.
The website for SPAG did mention that they are working on 'interoperablity" -(The biggest oxymoron in govt communications.I miss the days of 37.18/155.37. LOL) Read the last sentence on this link http://www.spag.org/Homeland-Security.html
Maybe Lubbock is trying to get its Phase 2 system for the SPAG area, since there are TGS assingned to them.Not sure but it seems that most other COGs in Texas has area wide communications . SPAG seems to be lagging in that area.

Last edited:

FireJustin

W5PKY,

You got me there.

I will add the small tidbit of information regarding SPAG and interopability. Each county in the SPAG Region has been given a VHF narrowband-compliant analog repeater. It is listed in the database as Lubbock EC, for example, for each of the counties. The goal was for every radio in the county to be programmed with these channels in the event that responders from one county assisted in another. It was very useful in 2011/2012 during that record-breaking wildfire 'season', but only for the few volunteer departments and state agencies that had access to said repeaters. If that's the best that can be done for interoperable communications, well... It's just sad and unfortunate.

Edit: I highly doubt that there are any plans to expand the 800mhz P25 Phase II system beyond Lubbock County. The two reasons off the top of my head are 1) Cost and 2) reliability. Most, if not all of the 14 other counties would have limited access due to cost alone.

Last edited:

Project25_MASTR

W5PKY,
Here is a map of what FireJustin is talking about.
https://www.txregionalcouncil.org/display.php?page=regions_map.php
The website for SPAG did mention that they are working on 'interoperablity" -(The biggest oxymoron in govt communications.I miss the days of 37.18/155.37. LOL) Read the last sentence on this link http://www.spag.org/Homeland-Security.html
Maybe Lubbock is trying to get its Phase 2 system for the SPAG area, since there are TGS assingned to them.Not sure but it seems that most other COGs in Texas has area wide communications . SPAG seems to be lagging in that area.

Oh it certainly is. There are two main factors behind it. One, Lubbock would have no independent control. Two, the large area systems in Texas are Motorola, not GE/Harris.

There are a lot of little things as well, subscriber incompatibility issues, ISSI issues. Actually making P25 cross compatible, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FireJustin

And rightfully so, to a certain extent. The city put up (most, probably of) the money to build the system as it stands. Historically, however, the city is very possessive of their toys, and does not share well with others.

Project25_MASTR

Nature of the beast. I actually moved from Lubbock to work on the GATRRS system. CoA controls it even though it now encompasses the MRG area, Western Counties area. There is talk of the Permian system joining up as well. The Travis/Wilco/Bastrop sites are the only real parts on 7/800 currently, everything else is VHF (and all Motorola infrastructure).

FireJustin

Off topic, but II was detailed to the CapCOG for several assignments over the past many years. I am truly envious of how WELL the GATRRS system works!

Back on semi-topic. If you're able to say, who is talking about adding the Permian system to GATRRS and why? I know it was a mission (at one point) for the Texas Interoperable Communications Coalition (TxDPS - Statewide Communications Interoperability Plan (SCIP)) that all of these regional systems would one day be connected. But as you can see now that seems to have fallen off the wish list even.

Project25_MASTR

Off topic, but II was detailed to the CapCOG for several assignments over the past many years. I am truly envious of how WELL the GATRRS system works!

Back on semi-topic. If you're able to say, who is talking about adding the Permian system to GATRRS and why? I know it was a mission (at one point) for the Texas Interoperable Communications Coalition (TxDPS - Statewide Communications Interoperability Plan (SCIP)) that all of these regional systems would one day be connected. But as you can see now that seems to have fallen off the wish list even.

I couldn't tell you. Just scuttle butt I've heard around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.