Update scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

halftime

Premium Subscriber
Been a happy owner of the GRE/PSR-410 for almost 10 years. It's performed well for what I wanted. I'm changing vehicles, installing a dual band radio and would like to update my scanner at the same time. Perused RR for a while, read through many OPINIONs about different units. I did have my mind initially set on a TRX-2 with the primary draw that it has a remote head. After looking at the debates between Whistler and Uniden, I'm starting to have second thoughts and maybe go the BCD996P2 route.

To help cut through my "paralysis by analysis" I thought I'd reach out to the local scene for suggestions. Bear in mind that UCAN is currently analog trunked with plans to go to P25 and at least phase I with NXDN if not moving onto phase II by the end of 2023. No plans that I've seen going encrypted - YET.

So buddrousa is satisfied for his criteria - here goes:
  1. What is it you want to hear? (Police, Fire, EMS, what is the range you expect (how far do you want to hear)?
    1. All public safety, some amateur - 15 miles (I know antenna type and mount dependent)
  2. Where are you located?
    • Homebase North Utah County, Install will be mobile and used mobile
  3. What is your budget?
    • Scanner – Max out at $500 for the scanner (I already have the antenna and mount. NMO with a Larsen 150/450/800 antenna)
  4. Do your homework, What Type Systems are in use in your area?
    • Currently trunking analog with a transition to P25 phase I and then phase II, and will include NXDN within 3 years.
  5. How technological savvy are you?
    • Reasonably so, ham radio licensed and work in a technical field. Also have resources
  6. Do you want a Base Mobile or Handheld?
    • Base/mobile (see #2), but if better, will consider a handheld.
  7. Do you understand BASIC COMPUTER COMMANDS (DOS COMMANDS)?
    • Yes, old enough when those came out on stone tablets and enjoyed optimizing the x286 start files.
  8. If needed can you put up your own outside antenna?
    • Yes, installing a mobile dual band in a vehicle currently.

Premium Subscriber
“Paralysis by Analysis” I love that. Definitely describes me.
I dont personally own the BCD996P2, but from what I’ve seen on RR, its a good radio.

Looking at Utah County, there does appear to be some Utah County Simulcast
Not sure how well the BCD996P2 handles simulcast.

Maybe someone from Utah County can chime in?

N7YUO

Good morning Jonathan
Pardon my ignorance, but,
how does a particular scanner NOT handle simulcast well?
(I realize that none of the scanners I've had are Unidens)

Since Utah transitioned to 800 MHz, I have used:
Pro93, Pro95, Pro164, Pro197, PSR500, WS1040.
and they have all handled simulcast just fine.
In fact, I can't tell the difference between simulcast and IR sites.
I have scanned 7 simulcast sites in northern Utah with no problems.

Maybe others and myself need a little more education, as we consider
our next upgrade, as the techs at UCA change the system again.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
There are literally thousands of posts on the subject in the archives here, as well as several wiki articles. Do a bit of searching. Hint: It's the main reason Uniden developed the SDS series.

Tldr; when multiple digital signals on the same frequency overlap, it can be impossible for a conventional receiver to correctly decode bits from the signal. It depends on your location. In some places a conventional receiver will work perfectly, and others you get nothing, even with a full-strength signal.

halftime

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for chiming in. Current simulcast is the same broadcast going out over different frequencies (think repeater systems to carry the state). Digital simulcast is the same broadcast over the same frequency from various locations - this is what causes the distortion as reception (e.g., decode) occurs at different times (from different locations) on the same frequency.

I was really hoping that I'd be able to run the remote head, I guess Uniden is the way. Now I need to rethink my install.

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
Good morning Jonathan
Pardon my ignorance, but,
how does a particular scanner NOT handle simulcast well?
(I realize that none of the scanners I've had are Unidens)

Since Utah transitioned to 800 MHz, I have used:
Pro93, Pro95, Pro164, Pro197, PSR500, WS1040.
and they have all handled simulcast just fine.
In fact, I can't tell the difference between simulcast and IR sites.
I have scanned 7 simulcast sites in northern Utah with no problems.

Maybe others and myself need a little more education, as we consider
our next upgrade, as the techs at UCA change the system again.

"..know that as soon as someone asks, "Should I get an SDS100/200?" you will get responses from people in three categories:

1) Those that will be quick to tell you that *THEIR* BCD996P2, or BCD436HP, or Whistler TRX-1 or WS-1088, (or whatever) works GREAT on the local simulcast system where THEY live, and you are wasting your money if you buy an SDS100/200. Unless the person posting happens to live in your house, ignore them. Yes, it IS possible to find 'sweet spots' where a scanner that wasn't designed to handle simulcast can do a decent job picking up a simulcast system. But that is definitely the exception rather the rule, and the fact that someone hundreds or even thousands of miles away is fortunate enough to live in one of those sweet spots means absolutely nothing to you. "It works great for me" doesn't mean it will work for you, no matter what they might claim."

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for chiming in. Current simulcast is the same broadcast going out over different frequencies (think repeater systems to carry the state). Digital simulcast is the same broadcast over the same frequency from various locations - this is what causes the distortion as reception (e.g., decode) occurs at different times (from different locations) on the same frequency.

I was really hoping that I'd be able to run the remote head, I guess Uniden is the way. Now I need to rethink my install.
Like stated above I have 325p2's to SDS line each scanner has a plus and a minus if you do not have simulcast problems thre p2's will either one work for you if you have or will have simulcast systems then the SDS's are the 100% solution in the scanner world. P2's cost less SDS cost more.
If you will be traveling the SDS line and the GPS receiver will make the scanner shine with hands free scanning for as long as you can drive.

Fire822

Feed Provider
Just received a BCD325P2. I downloaded proscan and I'm trying to program the scanner for Cache-quick key 0 Box Elder-quick key 1 and Rich quick key-2. No luck. :( I've tried to upload all 3 counties without quick keys and still not receiving anything over the scanner. Any one have a proscan file for those counties or can someone look at the file I've uploaded and see where my problem is. Thanks

Attachments

• Cache Box Elder Rich.txt
    9.6 KB · Views: 7
Just received a BCD325P2. I downloaded proscan and I'm trying to program the scanner for Cache-quick key 0 Box Elder-quick key 1 and Rich quick key-2. No luck.
Now that you have Quick Keys programmed, make sure you have them enabled.

Do they show in the display? If not, toggle them ON

Fire822

Feed Provider
I think I have them toggled on. It might possible be that I'm not getting anything on the scanner. Need some help with the file I attached or a different Utah proscan file to see if mine is correct.

halftime

Premium Subscriber
I have for the most part. I may resign myself to the SDS 100. Will go the handheld route as it has the smallest footprint. Now I need to find one. The 200 is much too big for it's landing location.

Premium Subscriber
I have for the most part. I may resign myself to the SDS 100. Will go the handheld route as it has the smallest footprint. Now I need to find one. The 200 is much too big for it's landing location.

I love my SDS100. Had it about a year now. Sentinel software makes it as simple as it gets.

Status
Not open for further replies.