Updated: 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, Mobile Newsroom

Status
Not open for further replies.

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
Here is my "mobile newsroom" setup...

Vehicle is a white 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo.

Equipment:
Uniden BCD396T scanner w/ RAM Uniden clip scanner mount
Uniden BR330T scanner x2 w/ RAM Uniden clip scanner mount
Uniden BCT15 scanner
HP Mini 210 laptop w/ RAM Tough Tray II & Pod I
Unknown brand wire suction cup antenna
TomTom One 130 gps
HTC G1 phone, T-Mobile (blutooth internet tether with laptop)
Sony HVRHD100U camera
Lite Panels MicroPro light
Audio-Technica PRO-88W wireless mic system
Bescor TH-770 tripod
Apollo Gold alpha-numeric pager
Sunpass toll transponder
Black & Decker 750W power inverter and misc DC splitters/adapters

Any questions/comments, feel free! Thanks! :)

Attachments

• 2010-01-29 14.16.15.jpg
    2010-01-29 14.16.15.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 27,007
  • 2010-01-29 14.18.30.jpg
    2010-01-29 14.18.30.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 8,397
  • 2010-01-29 14.19.17.jpg
    2010-01-29 14.19.17.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 17,863
  • 2010-01-29 14.23.57.jpg
    2010-01-29 14.23.57.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 4,070
Last edited:

hulio

Premium Subscriber
what kind of mobile unden mounts did you use and how are they fastened? I dont want to drill holes if possible...LOOKS GREAT....NICE set up

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
All of the mounts (scanners and laptop) were by RAM, I tried to find the model I purchased with no luck, I don't know if they got rid of them or not. When I ordered them, they did have double sided tape, but it doesn't hold well in the Florida heat. I drilled holes into the face plate around the radio, and I bought a spare plate in case I sell the vehicle. I'll look for the documentation with the model name and number when I get home, I'm working. :)

Thanks AZScanner, how come you stopped if I may ask?

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
Those WJ's are horrible for mounting anything in, hardly any room whatsoever, so thats a pretty nice setup. The scanner on the armrest would annoy me, but i'm a 'one handed driver' who likes to rest on the armrest.

NICE laptop mount. I've been toying with the idea of a netbook or a tablet going into mine, since i rarely have a passenger.

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
Reference the handheld antennas, I purchased them on Ebay from user radiowizard138, they are very cheap and work very well in the 800mhz band.

It was really tough figuring out how to mount everything, I'm thankful that even with the laptop, there is plenty of room for any passengers. The scanner on the armrest doesn't bother me that much, since I simply rest my arm on it instead. :p

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
Effective Jan 1, 2010, drivers in the State of IL can't use a laptop while in motion, exemption to law enforcement, fire and EMS services. Friend of mine got pinched by local PD just for having WX screen running while in motion. This goes hand-in-hand with the "no texting" law under same statute.

Feed Provider
I like the LED panel.. Does this work in the shade like the frezzi wink lights and or does it have a good punch?

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
I like the LED panel.. Does this work in the shade like the frezzi wink lights and or does it have a good punch?
It has a very good punch to it in my opinion for a light that runs of AA's. It has a dimmer knob so I can adjust it accordingly. Great product for the price.

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
Effective Jan 1, 2010, drivers in the State of IL can't use a laptop while in motion, exemption to law enforcement, fire and EMS services. Friend of mine got pinched by local PD just for having WX screen running while in motion. This goes hand-in-hand with the "no texting" law under same statute.
If I lived in IL, then I guess that would be a problem for me, but I live in FL. The majority of the legislation here is geared towards texting anyway, and nothing has been passed yet after almost a year. If laptops were thrown into it then I'd pay the fine every time. It's a valuable information resource for my business and sure passes the time when I'm parked waiting for a call. There will always be distractions while driving, many people I've seen shouldn't be allowed to drive while listening to the radio, let alone, driving at all.

hulio

Premium Subscriber
Well I wont be needing a radio mount for my Jeep any more wife just came home with a new envoy...I am sure I will have to wait for the new to wear off before I can stick a radio and antenna in. just NOT fair..

SonicN

From one stringer to another; Nice setup, both with radios, and camera :)

JimmyL1011

Nice try, Will:

Illinois Vehicle Code Ch. 625 ILCS 5/12-610.2 states

Electronic communication devices: As used in this Section "Electronic communication device" means an electronic device, including but not limited to a wireless telephone, personal digital assistant, or a portable or mobile computer while being used for the purpose of composing, reading, or sending an electronic message, but does not include a global positioning system or navigation system or a device that is physically or electronically integrated into the motor vehicle.

"Electronic message" means a self‑contained piece of digital communication that is designed or intended to be transmitted between physical devices. "Electronic message" includes, but is not limited to electronic mail, a text message, an instant message, or a command or request to access an Internet site.
A person may not operate a motor vehicle on a roadway while using an electronic communication device to compose, send, or read an electronic message. A violation of this Section is an offense against traffic regulations governing the movement of vehicles.

This Section does not apply to a law enforcement officer or operator of an emergency vehicle while performing his or her official duties, a driver using an electronic communication device for the sole purpose of reporting an emergency situation and continued communication with emergency personnel during the emergency situation or a driver using an electronic communication device in hands‑free or voice‑activated mode or a driver of a commercial motor vehicle reading a message displayed on a permanently installed communication device designed for a commercial motor vehicle with a screen that does not exceed 10 inches tall by 10 inches wide in size, a driver using an electronic communication device while parked on the shoulder of a roadway or a driver using an electronic communication device when the vehicle is stopped due to normal traffic being obstructed and the driver has the motor vehicle transmission in neutral or park.

Your friend who got the ticket for viewing the WX screen should contact the village prosecutor or the local corporation counsel and show him the statute. This law is specifically prohibiting TEXTING, not just using your computer for news gathering, storm chasing, etc. Hopefully the cop was just ill-informed and not intentionally being a jerk. Everyone makes mistakes but intentionally writing a wrong citation borders on Official Misconduct.

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin

I fail to see the relevance to the thread???

Status
Not open for further replies.