Updated:2002 CVPI

Status
Not open for further replies.

bezking

Folks, cool it please. There is no need for unconstructive criticism here... Please keep it civil.

Thanks! :)

stevolene

on the crown vic, passenger side there is a rubber plug in the non cvpi cars such as mine, with a little help from someone you can actually "poke" a hole in this rubber with an awl, coathanger, or any small sharp pointed instrument, then guide the wire through the firewall to the battery, I did this with mine with no problems, I ran both the positive and ground straight to the battery this way, with fuses on both + and -. Theres no need to run any wires outside the door jams on these cars, I was frustrated myself at first, but crawl up under the dash with a flashlight, you see what Im talking about, good luck to ya

N9JIG

Sheriff
The first responder hit the nail on the head. The fuse belongs at the battery, not at the radio. The way it is now, the entire length of the power lead is unprotected. Fuses protect not only the radio but the vehicle itself.

Also, you should get a bracket and mount the radio shelf unit down. Leaving it loose on the floor of the trunk is going to cause problems real quick.

Others have already advised you on the firewall breach, thru the door jamb like that is going to cause problems real quick too.

Enjoy!

smokeeater861

The first responder hit the nail on the head. The fuse belongs at the battery, not at the radio. The way it is now, the entire length of the power lead is unprotected. Fuses protect not only the radio but the vehicle itself.

Also, you should get a bracket and mount the radio shelf unit down. Leaving it loose on the floor of the trunk is going to cause problems real quick.

Others have already advised you on the firewall breach, thru the door jamb like that is going to cause problems real quick too.

Enjoy!

I agree with everyone. I put a 40 amp fuse, no more than 18 inches from the battery on my Maratrac. Run that wire through the firewall, via a grommet, or utilize those auxillary power feeds! A coat hanger and either duck tape or preferably electrical tape will be your friend if you deside to go through a grommet.

Mounting wise, is it wood or particle board under the carpet or on the back of the back of the seat? If so, get wood screws and put it in that way.

For all the haters of this install, did ya'll not read that this is his FIRST time powering a radio off the battery, and most likely his first time installing in this way and hiding wires. Cut him a break. We all started somewhere and most likely here, in this exact situation that he is in. Most of the comments were helpful and courtious but there is that select few that pushed it just a bit far and were uncalled for. Grow up.

CVPI4Ever

on the crown vic, passenger side there is a rubber plug in the non cvpi cars such as mine, with a little help from someone you can actually "poke" a hole in this rubber with an awl, coathanger, or any small sharp pointed instrument, then guide the wire through the firewall to the battery, I did this with mine with no problems, I ran both the positive and ground straight to the battery this way, with fuses on both + and -. Theres no need to run any wires outside the door jams on these cars, I was frustrated myself at first, but crawl up under the dash with a flashlight, you see what Im talking about, good luck to ya

Poke a hole through the black boot under the dash and pass the wire through there. I have owned 2 CVPI's.

Also, I noticed the radio is on the shelf in the trunk. DO NOT DRILL THERE! If you do, there is a high risk you will puncture the fuel tank. Ive seen and heard of it being done.

Status
Not open for further replies.