Updating your firmware for non-HP scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
For the folks that have never updated their firmware before....

If you are trying to update your firmware in your non_HP scanner, then you know you have a firmware updater you must download and install. Unfortunately with the poor organization of the Uniden TWiki, it's very hard to find this. These instructions apply to the 3.03 version of the updater...there doesn't seem to be anything for the earlier version.

Which scanners can use the 3.03 version? We have a chart in our local wiki for that...

Remember this does NOT apply to the HP series of scanners (Home Patrol 1 and 2, BCD436HP, BCD536HP, SDS100 and 200). Sentinel is used to update these scanners' firmware

Mike

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
For the folks that have never updated their firmware before....

If you are trying to update your firmware in your non_HP scanner, then you know you have a firmware updater you must download and install. Unfortunately with the poor organization of the Uniden TWiki, it's very hard to find this. These instructions apply to the 3.03 version of the updater...there doesn't seem to be anything for the earlier version.

That's because 3.03 is the only version that existed since I started redoing the TWIKI.

Compare those links with the (still-existing) usage text on the main page. Aside from making
the images a little smaller (to-do-list), I think I did a pretty good job. What do you think Mike?

Management has yet to officially approve those revised instructions.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
But 3.03 doesn't seem to support all scanners - some, like the old 396T and 996T, still use an older updater AFAIK.

I don't think much needs changing here, Joe. These pages look good to me. I'd leave the images as-is. One thing that is absolutely critical, however, once your upper powers that be say yes, is to make the links for these pages more visible. That's one of the reasons why, in the writeup I sent you earlier today, that a separate page for the firmware updates should be coded. The links for your updater belong there. Right now it's (understandably) hidden and difficult to find without doing a search. This is a major issue in the TWiki for the pages that you do already have, hence the notes I sent.

Mike

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
But 3.03 doesn't seem to support all scanners - some, like the old 396T and 996T, still use an older updater AFAIK.

I don't think much needs changing here, Joe. These pages look good to me. I'd leave the images as-is. One thing that is absolutely critical, however, once your upper powers that be say yes, is to make the links for these pages more visible. That's one of the reasons why, in the writeup I sent you earlier today, that a separate page for the firmware updates should be coded. The links for your updater belong there. Right now it's (understandably) hidden and difficult to find without doing a search. This is a major issue in the TWiki for the pages that you do already have, hence the notes I sent.

Mike

Yes, I had a few people who were having issues with the updater. That's why there are links at all - well that and it's mandatory to create a link to make a new page (both of those are new as of 8 weeks ago or so). And yes they will be much more prominent soon - either with approval or due to the lack of disapproval.

BC_VUP 3.03r00 should cover everything from the 246T forward (minus the Sentinel-based ones, of course).

Update: The files are there for the 125/246/346/325(2 FW versions currently)/396/996P2/996XT/15/15X.

Earlier I posted I saw an issue, but I was using a non-public updater that only has the P2 beta files in it.

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Funny you should mention that folks had issues with the updater. This pertains more to the older version, of course, but we have a page in our wiki that documented some of them

Now I can understand that the big boys might not want to play with a hobby wiki, but something along this line should be considered down the road - when the r01 candidate goes live, certainly not now. Add to the list, as it were

Mike

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
Noted. If you think the pics look good as-is, I will leave them the current size. I was thinking they might be too large for lower resolution screens.

P.S. I got your PM and will review it soon. Also, forget about R3.03.01 - that is a beta team version that will not be public. So 3.03.00 is the latest.
I missed that part of the shortcut tag when I opened it.

Last edited:

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
Sad to say, you just did make r01 public by mentioning it here....Thanks...Mike

Even so, who would want to downgrade to an earlier buggy version of firmware?
(assuming you could find a copy of the beta updater)

And if I had to, I could remove the beta firmware from the server which
means you would be able to run it and see the start screen, but nothing else.

It has all the allure of finding a copy of the Trunked System Guide (pre-trunkedradio.net).

Status
Not open for further replies.